WUSTL for Chicago Market

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273520
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

WUSTL for Chicago Market

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Dear fellow TLSer,

I received my transfer acceptance letter from WUSTL today. I am somewhat surprised by the acceptance--considering I am no where near the top of the class in a T2 school--but ecstatic nevertheless. Since I am currently attending this school at a near sticker price, transferring seems like an easy decision.

My question for my fellow TLSer is my target market after graduation is Chicago; I have an undergrad degree in engineering and wants to practice IP after grad. Since realistically speaking, any T14 school (UChi/NU/UMich) is out of the question. The only question left is should I still send in applications to IUB and/or ND? I grew up in Indiana and attended undergrad in Indiana, so I have a reasonably strong connection to Indiana.

How is WUSTL's reach in Chicago compare to IUB/ND? And should I apply to IUB/ND nonetheless?

Thanks!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: WUSTL for Chicago Market

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:07 pm

WUSTL seems better than IUB. Notre Dame is about the same as WUSTL. Why aren't you considering Illinois? It's probably best of all four for Chicago.

Also:

1) Did you sign up for the Loyola Patent Fair?
2) Do you go to a T2 in Chicago already?
3) Do you have a scholarship where you are?
4) What engineering degree and how were your engineering grades?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273520
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSTL for Chicago Market

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:WUSTL seems better than IUB. Notre Dame is about the same as WUSTL. Why aren't you considering Illinois? It's probably best of all four for Chicago.

Also:

1) Did you sign up for the Loyola Patent Fair?
2) Do you go to a T2 in Chicago already?
3) Do you have a scholarship where you are?
4) What engineering degree and how were your engineering grades?


OP here, thank you for the reply.

I also applied to Illinois already, have yet to hear back from them.

(1) Yes, I am already signed up for the Loyola Patent Fair.
(2) No, my current school is in the Midwest but not Chicago or Illinois for that matter.
(3) I have a tiny neglect-able scholarship at the current school.
(4) I have a B.S.EE, my engineering grades were not the most outstanding by any stretch of imagination. I am hoping by attending a reputable law school would somewhat compensates for the deficiency.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: WUSTL for Chicago Market

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dear fellow TLSer,

I received my transfer acceptance letter from WUSTL today. I am somewhat surprised by the acceptance--considering I am no where near the top of the class in a T2 school--but ecstatic nevertheless. Since I am currently attending this school at a near sticker price, transferring seems like an easy decision.

My question for my fellow TLSer is my target market after graduation is Chicago; I have an undergrad degree in engineering and wants to practice IP after grad. Since realistically speaking, any T14 school (UChi/NU/UMich) is out of the question. The only question left is should I still send in applications to IUB and/or ND? I grew up in Indiana and attended undergrad in Indiana, so I have a reasonably strong connection to Indiana.

How is WUSTL's reach in Chicago compare to IUB/ND? And should I apply to IUB/ND nonetheless?

Thanks!


You're anon, tell us your rank.

Are you outside the top half?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273520
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSTL for Chicago Market

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:You're anon, tell us your rank.

Are you outside the top half?


OP, top 1/3

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: WUSTL for Chicago Market

Postby jbiresq » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:57 pm

I'd take WUSTL since with that class rank it's hard to see you getting anything better. It's a bit of a trap school but it's name is good enough with an EE degree that you should get something (even if it's not Sidley, Kirkland, etc.)

Still, I'd pay the deposit, focus on jacking up your grades and see if you can get Northwestern or Michigan in the summer.

Quick Edit: ND does have a pretty good reach in Chicago but IUB absolutely doesn't. Stay away from there.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: WUSTL for Chicago Market

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:18 pm

jbiresq wrote:I'd take WUSTL since with that class rank it's hard to see you getting anything better. It's a bit of a trap school but it's name is good enough with an EE degree that you should get something (even if it's not Sidley, Kirkland, etc.)

Still, I'd pay the deposit, focus on jacking up your grades and see if you can get Northwestern or Michigan in the summer.

Quick Edit: ND does have a pretty good reach in Chicago but IUB absolutely doesn't. Stay away from there.


OP probably isn't in good shape for any big law firm in Chicago. Boutiques he has a better shot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273520
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSTL for Chicago Market

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:15 am

OP here. Thanks everyone, I will stay away from IUB and deposit at WUSTL then. Much appreciated!




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.