~50 to GULC, Acceptance in hand. Negotiate Money? Or leave..

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay at ~50, or go to GULC?

Stay at ~50 regardless
2
11%
Stay at ~50 if offered 10k per year, if not, go to GULC
1
6%
Stay at ~50 if offered 20k per year, if not, go to GULC
2
11%
Go to GUCL regardless
13
72%
 
Total votes: 18

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

~50 to GULC, Acceptance in hand. Negotiate Money? Or leave..

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:16 pm

I have no scholarship at my current school. GULC is about 10k per year more in tuition. Should I transfer? Do you think I could negotiate a scholarship? I got a bunch of CALI's and a GULC Acceptance letter... will my current school laugh me out of the office if I talk to them?

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: ~50 to GULC, Acceptance in hand. Negotiate Money? Or leave..

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Absolutely not. You have to do one of two things: 1. get your school to cough up $$ 2. transfer to Georgetown. Once they give you the scholarship amount, then people can help you choose between these good choices. If it were me I would lean hard on the current school, and say "Look, I love this school. I contribute XYZ to the culture here. I will graduate and be a great representative for you when I am a lawyer. I have this offer in hand from Gtown. Hand them the letter. I would love to stay here, and if you can waive tuition for 2L and 3L year I will not only commit to staying here, but I will do everything in my power to add to the professional reputation and prestige of ~50."

If they are willing to give full ride, then I would absolutely vote stay (and most people will agree). If they give no money, then everyone will say Gtown. If its in between then it will be calculations and pro/con time.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: ~50 to GULC, Acceptance in hand. Negotiate Money? Or leave..

Postby keg411 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 pm

1) Negotiate with your school as long as its in the market you want to work in; and then
2) Apply to schools that are better than GULC

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12579
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: ~50 to GULC, Acceptance in hand. Negotiate Money? Or leave..

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 am

keg411 wrote:1) Negotiate with your school as long as its in the market you want to work in; and then
2) Apply to schools that are better than GULC

This.

If you have a bunch of CALIs, I'm assuming your gpa/rank are good. You can do better than GULC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ~50 to GULC, Acceptance in hand. Negotiate Money? Or leave..

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:05 pm

so...the question now becomes, do i turn in the $600 seat deposit check, or wait it out and see if I can repeat my grades then apply somewhere along the lines of UVA? It's a gamble.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: ~50 to GULC, Acceptance in hand. Negotiate Money? Or leave..

Postby Mike12188 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so...the question now becomes, do i turn in the $600 seat deposit check, or wait it out and see if I can repeat my grades then apply somewhere along the lines of UVA? It's a gamble.

Take the insurance (i.e. pay the deposit). If you repeat grades apply to other T14s. Take any other T14.

eastcoast_iub
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Re: ~50 to GULC, Acceptance in hand. Negotiate Money? Or leave..

Postby eastcoast_iub » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so...the question now becomes, do i turn in the $600 seat deposit check, or wait it out and see if I can repeat my grades then apply somewhere along the lines of UVA? It's a gamble.


If you have several CALIs, I wouldn't waste your money on the deposit. It's unlikely that you will fall so far that you can't get into a better T14. As long as you can remain in top 15% you are competitive at NU and Michigan, at a minimum.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.