T4 law student chances at a T1 school

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T4 law student chances at a T1 school

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:29 am

I currently attend a T4 FL school and hope to transfer to the University of Illinois. I earned a 3.8 after my first semester, and expect to finish the year at a minimum in the top 15%. I am confident I will be well above 15% however. I already notified two professors about my transfer decision, and each agreed to write a LOR for me. I am originally from the Midwest, and would love to get into a T1 school in that region. Which schools would I have a decent chance of being accepted? Are there transfer friendly schools in the Midwest? If not, I was thinking of applying to FU or FSU. My goal is to get all the application materials in as early as possible.

swhiz

Re: T4 law student chances at a T1 school

Postby swhiz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 am

I know of one variable that may work in your favor; significantly fewer people are applying to law schools in general.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:14 pm

I agree...I am hoping that helps me as well. I just didn't
know if there were any schools in the Midwest that were somewhat easier to get into. I plan on submitting many apps, so I'll keep you informed.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:27 am

Illinois is probably doable, so is Wisconsin. The question, especially when picking a non T14 school, is why? You're going to be paying a lot of money to go there with not the greatest job prospects.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:42 am

There are a couple of reasons why I want to transfer. 1) My T4 has pretty bad employment statistics, but I chose to attend anyway because I planned on joining JAG Corps upon graduation. I was an officer in the military, but I no longer have a desire to go back in. 2) Illinois or Wisconsin seem to be worth taking a jump from a bottom tier school to a T50. Illinois has usually been in the 20's or 30's, but they dropped after the whole scandal with one of their deans changing LSAT and UGPA scores to make the school rank higher. Also, my family is in Illinois and I know an in-law that is a partner at a big firm in Chicago. It would be nice if he could get me in, but I figured these other schools would boost my employment opportunities if I couldn't get in at his firm.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:16 pm

As a data point (read: not the rule), I know of at least one person who transferred from Whittier (T4 in California) to WUSTL a couple years ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks. I'm working hard now trying to make the top 5%. I'm going to throw in an app to WUSL just because it is free. I know my chances are slim, but maybe I can get lucky

Return to “Transfers”