Top 25% after First Semester at TTTT –– Options?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 25% after First Semester at TTTT –– Options?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:39 pm

At a TTTT. Still getting after those grades this semester and am hoping to move up in terms of rank and GPA.

GPA is a 3.39 on a 2.8 curve.
Currently ranked 25 out of ~135.

Any ideas on what my options to transfer are?

Birdnals

Re: Top 25% after First Semester at TTTT –– Options?

Postby Birdnals » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At a TTTT. Still getting after those grades this semester and am hoping to move up in terms of rank and GPA.

GPA is a 3.39 on a 2.8 curve.
Currently ranked 25 out of ~135.

Any ideas on what my options to transfer are?

Not good. Maybe try for your state school if instate tuition is cheap? Unless you are top 5% minimum (prob closer to being #1 or 2 in your class) you are going to have a tough time getting into any school worth attending at sticker.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:53 pm

That makes sense. It's almost free for me to attend my current school. But, my state school is in the T25-35 range. I don't think that's really attainable from where I sit right now, and even with in-state it is more than what I am paying now.

I'm exploring options, albeit a bit prematurely, so I can try and improve job prospects, etc.

Thanks for the insight, though.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That makes sense. It's almost free for me to attend my current school. But, my state school is in the T25-35 range. I don't think that's really attainable from where I sit right now, and even with in-state it is more than what I am paying now.

I'm exploring options, albeit a bit prematurely, so I can try and improve job prospects, etc.

Wait.... are you at a TTTT or a school ranked between 25-35?

Jimbogiant

Postby Jimbogiant » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:19 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That makes sense. It's almost free for me to attend my current school. But, my state school is in the T25-35 range. I don't think that's really attainable from where I sit right now, and even with in-state it is more than what I am paying now.

The way I read it, OP is at a TTTT, but there is a school in his state ranked between 25-35 (which OP would conceivably target in a potential transfer due to in-state tuition prices)

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 pm

I am not really sure if T2 or lower T1s are really selective if you try to transfer. I know that that I could not get into the top 14 at top 15% at a upper T2. I transferred into a top 20 though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:42 am

Jimbogiant wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:

The way I read it, OP is at a TTTT, but there is a school in his state ranked between 25-35 (which OP would conceivably target in a potential transfer due to in-state tuition prices)

Exactly. Sorry for the ambiguity. But I am at a TTTT.

So, I guess the question is it worth applying to transfer to schools in the upper T2/lower T1 area or try and get more scholly money from my current school?

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:53 am

Wait and see what your grades after the year are and come back and ask. If you are top 5% and can get into a school just outside the t14 or your state school which appears to be quite good (assuming you want to work in your state post-grad) then maybe. Otherwise it may be worth it to stay at the very top of your class and hope to get a decent job from there.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Not worth it to transfer to a regional T1 at sticker from a TTTT where you have a full scholarship. And your grades need to be higher to be in the ballpark, assuming there's nothing amazing to boost your chances (Nobel prize, etc).

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:45 pm

What is the % employed at your TTTT according to LST ([url]lstscorereports.com[/url])? And what are the % employed at the schools you are considering? It would not surprise me one bit if your TTTT was better, about the same, or slightly worse but closing the marginal gap between your school and the potential transfer school is not worth 100K. There are many schools in the lower T1 through T2 range that have abysmal employment percentages....American (36% employed in FT/LT leal jobs) and Pepperdine (42%) come to mind, but I bet you could find a lot under or around 50% (Cardozo and BYU come in around 50%, Loyola LA's at 42%, etc etc).

There *may* be somewhat of a difference between the quality of the jobs grads get at your TTTT and some of these schools. Perhaps students get big law jobs at a rate in the high single digits while at your school it is the low-to-mid single digits. Likewise there might be a couple percentage point differential in terms of percent clerking. But this is categorically not worth transferring for (well, maybe if for some reason the school you transferred to was giving you a big scholarship). The reason is that your chances of getting those jobs will still be so low that it is not worth paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for.

For now I would focus on raising your grades as much as possible because that will be good no matter what. BTW are you sure a 3.4 is only top 25% with a 2.8 median? Oh, wait, just checked your first post again and see that you are 25/135 so you are top 20%, not that different from the perspective of transferring. My guess is that your best strategy is to stay put and study like hell.

Return to “Transfers”