MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pancho
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 am

MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby pancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:59 pm

Arrow's "Advice for Transferring to Another Law School" says:

"To transfer into HYS you need:
-top 5-10% at a Top 20"

Is this statement meant to be so general? Is the 95th percentile at WUSTL really equivalent to the 90th at Chicago?

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:01 pm

no, no it's not

pancho
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 am

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby pancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Didn't think so.

And I presume there is a difference between MVPB and CCN for an HYS transfer, correct? Could anyone estimate how much of one? Is 70th percentile at CCN and 80th at MVPB too generous a guess or not generous enough?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:09 pm

This thread is a perfect example of why 0Ls aren't allowed in the transfer forum.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Why do you ask?

Edit: Damnit Bils, I was trying to lay a trap here.

pancho
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 am

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby pancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:17 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Why do you ask?


Because I'm trying to hedge my bets. MVPB is the cheaper option but it may be worth paying more at CCN to have superior transfer opportunities to HYS. I actually have my sights on one of HYS that would be ideal for personal reasons. But as a splitter I realize my odds of acceptance as an 0L are very minimal.

pancho
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 am

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby pancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:This thread is a perfect example of why 0Ls aren't allowed in the transfer forum.


Do I appear that naive with this line of inquiry?

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 pm

pancho wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:This thread is a perfect example of why 0Ls aren't allowed in the transfer forum.


Do I appear that naive with this line of inquiry?

Yes.

IBTL

pancho
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 am

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby pancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Edit: Damnit Bils, I was trying to lay a trap here.


Please elaborate. I'm trying to learn here. :D

pancho
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 am

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby pancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:21 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
pancho wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:This thread is a perfect example of why 0Ls aren't allowed in the transfer forum.


Do I appear that naive with this line of inquiry?

Yes.

IBTL


Whoa, whoa, whoa. What have I done to deserve that? This is 100% legit.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:25 pm

pancho wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
pancho wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:This thread is a perfect example of why 0Ls aren't allowed in the transfer forum.


Do I appear that naive with this line of inquiry?

Yes.

IBTL


Whoa, whoa, whoa. What have I done to deserve that? This is 100% legit.

The transfer subforum is not for 0Ls. But I'll give you some free advice anyway:

Don't go to law school intending to transfer.
Nobody, but nobody on these boards can speak with any degree of authority about fine-grain grade-requirement distinctions that a school makes between applicants from particular different schools.

pancho
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 am

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby pancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Don't go to law school intending to transfer.
Nobody, but nobody on these boards can speak with any degree of authority about fine-grain grade-requirement distinctions that a school makes between applicants from particular different schools.


Thanks for your response. I was only looking for estimates from a more experienced crowd. The unpredictability of 1L grades is not lost on me. At this point I am trying to see how much more $ I would feel comfortable paying for CCN than MVPB. Transfer opportunities are just another differentiating factor.

Pope Francis
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby Pope Francis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:45 pm

pancho wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Don't go to law school intending to transfer.
Nobody, but nobody on these boards can speak with any degree of authority about fine-grain grade-requirement distinctions that a school makes between applicants from particular different schools.


Thanks for your response. I was only looking for estimates from a more experienced crowd. The unpredictability of 1L grades is not lost on me. At this point I am trying to see how much more $ I would feel comfortable paying for CCN than MVPB. Transfer opportunities are just another differentiating factor.


It shouldn't even be a factor. If you are in a position to transfer to HYS from any of those schools, you will be doing yourself a disservice by actually transferring. Being ranked highly enough at those schools (high enough that you'd be able to transfer) means that you could basically do anything you want. Going to HYS wouldn't help you, and might hurt you as you'd be giving up your amazing first year grades to some extent. This, of course, assuming the extremely unlikely occurrence that you actually do well enough in law school

pancho
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 am

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby pancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Pope Francis wrote:
This, of course, assuming the extremely unlikely occurrence that you actually do well enough in law school


Well thank you very much for that vote of confidence Your Holiness.

You have the makings of a point here, however, I was under the impression that CCN people do, in fact, transfer to HYS.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:21 pm

IBTL

pancho
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 am

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby pancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Okay, I'm leaving. Wish I had some anecdotes to show for the effort.
Last edited by pancho on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: MVPB vs. CCN for HYS Transfer

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
pancho wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
pancho wrote:Do I appear that naive with this line of inquiry?

Yes.

IBTL


Whoa, whoa, whoa. What have I done to deserve that? This is 100% legit.

The transfer subforum is not for 0Ls. But I'll give you some free advice anyway:

Don't go to law school intending to transfer.
Nobody, but nobody on these boards can speak with any degree of authority about fine-grain grade-requirement distinctions that a school makes between applicants from particular different schools.

100% this.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.