Lower T14 to Chicago? Ability to get into NYC market?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lower T14 to Chicago? Ability to get into NYC market?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm at a lower T14, with no scholarship, thinking about transferring to Chicago.
I had a 3.67 the first semester, top 1/3, and am thinking about ED to Chicago. However, I was wondering if being at U of C would affect my ability to work in NYC after graduation. Help?

bowser

Re: Lower T14 to Chicago? Ability to get into NYC market?

Postby bowser » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 pm

curioyus why do u wanna transfer?

i dont think it would hurt one bit. it might look weird if you transferred from NYU or something but that doesn't seem to be the case. (maybe an interviewer would be curious if it were Cornell, I guess).

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:06 am

Assuming you interview ok, you should be fine to get into NYC from your lower T14. Why transfer?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:08 am

I don't really see transferring to UChi helping you get NYC. Do you have a compelling personal reason for wanting to be in Chicago?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:08 pm

OP here:
I guess I just figured since I was paying sticker price, I might as well try to move up the rankings if I have to pay a comparable tuition. I'm not dead set on NYC, I just wanted to know if the ability is there, should I transfer.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 pm

OP: Since a) you have no scholarship and b) you seem set on moving up the rankings, I'd apply to all of CCN. Depending on where you are currently (with Cornell being the exception) each of those schools would probably increase your chances at the NYC market enough to be worth the transfer. They also will provide leverage to negotiate a scholarship at your current school, since top 1/3 is likely not enough to make it happen as-is.

If you've got a few spare dollars laying around, I'd maybe throw an app out to HLS to see if they bite. Conventional wisdom says they won't, but transfer apps are a black box and with the right LORs from HLS alums, compelling PS, etc. they might. If you're not a 'what if' person, applying to HLS could reasonably be seen as a waste of time, too. I wouldn't waste your time/money apply to other schools, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 am

Do you mind if I PM you some q's?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you mind if I PM you some q's?

If this was directed at me, sure. I've got a final this afternoon, though, so I'll be out of pocket for a bit.

Return to “Transfers”