Should I transfer? (Top 3% at TTT)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
badasme

Should I transfer? (Top 3% at TTT)

Postby badasme » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Currently top 3% at a tier 3/4 in Chicago. Assuming I can finish my first year in the top 3-5% would it be better to try to transfer or should I stay at my current school in order to keep my GPA and class rank? Responses are appreciated.

Thanks.

Jsa725

Re: Should I transfer? (Top 3% at TTT)

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:55 pm

I don't know if the deadline has passed, but if I were you, I'd apply to UChi ED. I think they like to take people from other Chicago area schools, and if you apply ED, you don't need to worry about keeping your grades so high next semester.

I guess before I said that I should say, what are your goals? If you want to, say, work as a PD in Chicago, I'm not sure transferring to UChi would help much. If you want to clerk, it would help a whole lot. As for big law, I will defer to people who have experience with OCI as a transfer because I am not sure there is an advantage to transferring for big law....if you transfer to, say, UChi, you are guaranteed 20-30 interviews through their OCI, which is helpful, but AFAIK you will be treated like a top 3% person from your TTT, and I think you could line up many big law interviews if you stayed at your TTT (assuming same grades), either through OCI or by mailing the firms directly. One advantage is opening up other markets, which is big since the Chicago market is still pretty bad. How much are you paying for school now?

raskolnikov32

Postby raskolnikov32 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Nice work on the grades. Focus on school now, but let the possibility of transferring be your motivation to replicate your grades this semester. The only thing you might want to do now is establish or expand relationships with professors (go to office hours, be polite, and ask thoughtful questions). Maybe plant the seed about transferring during a conversation with them so the conversation when you ask for an LOR after second semester won't seem so sudden (even though this isn't the end of the world if you go about it the right way).

In terms of whether to transfer or stay put, this depends in part on what you're trying to accomplish with your degree. Assuming you're at JMLS, it's a harsh reality that even with top grades you have little to no shot at BigLaw. If that's what you're looking for, I'd 100% recommend transferring. If you're happy settling for a position at a smaller lit firm or something, you should be able to find a decent gig at a firm with some alumni but at much lower pay. Even in this latter case, though, I'd still apply for transfer and try to leverage your acceptance(s) for scholarship money at JMLS (Who knows if this works. I wasn't offered any carrots to entice me to stay, but I was set on transferring so I didn't push the issue either).

If grades stay about the same and you do decide to transfer, I'd apply broadly and see what happens. I'd consider you pretty much a lock at the Chicago T2s (DePaul, Kent, Loyola), but then you get into the debate of whether that jump is worth it in exchange for paying sticker, losing law review, giving up your GPA, etc. Also, I'd take a look at the list of rankings and just apply to all T1 Midwest schools you're interested in (This assumes you want to stay in the Midwest. Also, I think you'd have a better shot there than some random T1s on the coasts.). And then to round it out, why not throw some apps at the lower T14? I'd especially apply to Northwestern and the schools that tend to take more transfers (Georgetown, GW). Transfer applications are very time consuming and will cost you a few shekels, but it's worth it to see what you're options are.

Hope this helps a bit.

raskolnikov32

Postby raskolnikov32 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:I don't know if the deadline has passed, but if I were you, I'd apply to UChi ED. I think they like to take people from other Chicago area schools, and if you apply ED, you don't need to worry about keeping your grades so high next semester.

I guess before I said that I should say, what are your goals? If you want to, say, work as a PD in Chicago, I'm not sure transferring to UChi would help much. If you want to clerk, it would help a whole lot. As for big law, I will defer to people who have experience with OCI as a transfer because I am not sure there is an advantage to transferring for big law....if you transfer to, say, UChi, you are guaranteed 20-30 interviews through their OCI, which is helpful, but AFAIK you will be treated like a top 3% person from your TTT, and I think you could line up many big law interviews if you stayed at your TTT (assuming same grades), either through OCI or by mailing the firms directly. One advantage is opening up other markets, which is big since the Chicago market is still pretty bad. How much are you paying for school now?

I think this is generally sound advice, but overstates OP's chances at getting into UChi and the number of OCI interviews available to JMLS students. In my experience, transfers' success at the new school's OCI is largely determined by their interviewing skills and to a lesser degree by their home school or home school GPA. But I'd agree that a T3/4 student who transferred to a T14 wouldn't have a great shot at the top firms, but a higher T1 student who transferred to the same T14 would essentially be even-footed with the students who did their 1L at the T14.

badasme

Postby badasme » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:31 pm

My significant other is looking to move back west (either California or pacific northwest) and it really doesn't matter to me either way. I'd like to either be a PD at the federal or state level. I have spoken with several 3Ls at my current school who are really struggling to find anything.

Right now I get 10k per year but hopefully I would get more if I kept my grades at a high level. I'm mostly just interested in securing employment and don't really care where I end up. I will look into the ChicagoED option as that sounds appealing as well as shooting off as many applications as I can to various T1s as well as some T14s.

Putting transfer apps together looks like it'll be a pain but it should be worth it.

Thanks for the responses!

p1arnold

Postby p1arnold » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:23 pm

badasme wrote:Currently top 3% at a tier 3/4 in Chicago. Assuming I can finish my first year in the top 3-5% would it be better to try to transfer or should I stay at my current school in order to keep my GPA and class rank? Responses are appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes. No question about it. If you're in Chicago I have a decent idea as to what the opportunities are from a t3/4 and it is better to move on.

Return to “Transfers”