NYLS 3.5gpa to Cardozo Fordham

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kirkhor23

NYLS 3.5gpa to Cardozo Fordham

Postby Kirkhor23 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:52 pm

Hey all,
What are the odds of getting into either Cardozo or Fordham with a 3.5gpa from NYLS?
We don't have rankings yet but I believe a rough estimate is around 10%.
If you have any suggestions of other schools they are welcome.
Thanks

jbiresq

Re: NYLS 3.5gpa to Cardozo Fordham

Postby jbiresq » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:34 pm

The value add from NYLS to Cardozo/Fordham is not going to be enough to transfer IMO

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:08 am

jbiresq wrote:The value add from NYLS to Cardozo/Fordham is not going to be enough to transfer IMO

Categorically untrue. If OP is paying sticker at NYLS, then either school would be a step up. NYLS may be the only school in New York that the legal community openly mocks.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 am

Op: Do you have money from NYLS? If so, how much?

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:22 am

patrickd139 wrote:
jbiresq wrote:The value add from NYLS to Cardozo/Fordham is not going to be enough to transfer IMO

Categorically untrue. If OP is paying sticker at NYLS, then either school would be a step up. NYLS may be the only school in New York that the legal community openly mocks.

If there's no scholarship money on the table then definitely transfer. But, those schools are not going to provide markedly better employment opportunities.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:24 am

jbiresq wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

If there's no scholarship money on the table then definitely transfer. But, those schools are not going to provide markedly better employment opportunities.

I'm not going to be baited into bashing NYLS, but GTFO if you think Fordham doesn't have better employment opportunities than NYLS.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:27 am

patrickd139 wrote:
jbiresq wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

I'm not going to be baited into bashing NYLS, but GTFO if you think Fordham doesn't have better employment opportunities than NYLS.

I'm not going to deny it. I'm saying paying sticker at Fordham/Cardozo over getting scholarship money from NYLS is not the best decision. I know NYLS has terrible employment scores but Fordham/Cardozo are not much better. It's a tough situation. I would probably take Fordham if OP could get it, but it's a shit choice either way.

bowser

Postby bowser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:20 am

Presumably the biggest boost OP is looking for is success at OCI/getting Biglaw. In that case Fordham has a distinct advantage (~25% Biglaw v. ~3%)., although I do not know how transfers do there.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:46 am

bowser wrote:Presumably the biggest boost OP is looking for is success at OCI/getting Biglaw. In that case Fordham has a distinct advantage (~25% Biglaw v. ~3%)., although I do not know how transfers do there.

They do horribly because Fordham doesn't let transfers interview at OCI. That said, it's still better than paying sticker at NYLS.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:10 am

patrickd139 wrote:
bowser wrote:Presumably the biggest boost OP is looking for is success at OCI/getting Biglaw. In that case Fordham has a distinct advantage (~25% Biglaw v. ~3%)., although I do not know how transfers do there.

They do horribly because Fordham doesn't let transfers interview at OCI. That said, it's still better than paying sticker at NYLS.

I agree. The calculation is this. If op is attending NYLS for free or close to it and transferring would mean he is paying sticker at Dozo or Fordham, they op should stay put at NYLS.

However, if op is paying close to sticker (or has a small scholarship at NYLS - something less than say 10K), then If I were in his situation I would be packing my bags and heading to Fordham all day long. That said, as between NYLS and Dozo, I really don't see the difference. I know Dozo is "ranked better" but honestly as someone that practices and is regularly arguing cases in the NY State and Fed trial and appellate Courts, I really do not see a huge difference in the sort of firms that Dozo grads and NYLS grads wind up working.

So op - if you have a huge scholarship at NYLS, stay put. If not, shoot for Fordham. Personally, I'd look at Brooklyn before Dozo, but that's just me.

davisoz

Postby davisoz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:01 pm

Just came across this thread. Here is some other food for thought:

-3.5 GPA probably won't put you in the Top 10%, so you won't be on LR unless you miraculously write on.
-You will NOT secure A SINGLE OCI slot with a 3.5 GPA, let alone be considered by any large law firms via mass mail. Thus, it doesn't matter that you will not be able to participate in Fordham's OCI program as a transfer. (To even have a fighting chance at NYLS OCI, you need to be in the top 15 students, and even then you still have one arm tied behind your back. So, for c/o 2014 with roughly 347 students, that's what, top ~4%?)
-The brand value of graduating from Fordham is, as previous posters have mentioned, significantly better than NYLS.

What does this mean? I'm not sure. If your goal is biglaw, drop out. If your goal is not biglaw, and you do not have significant scholarship money, transfer to Fordham (if you can). Bear in mind, however, that due to NYLS's new ranking (or lack thereof), everyone in your class is going to be vying to GTFO and transferring this coming summer will probably be that much more competitive.

Best of luck.

mc1993

Postby mc1993 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi i would love to know if you got in to either school!

I'm in a similar situation and I'm looking to transfer.

Thanks !

Return to “Transfers”