Choosing a school to transfer out Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Choosing a school to transfer out

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Hey all,
I'm currently a 0L and accepted into Fordham and UCI law. I'm waiting to hear back from BU, BC and Loyola Marymount. I'm not particularly thrilled to attend any of these as I was hoping to attend a t14 so I'm considering transferring out from somewhere my first year. Fordham would cost me a lot of money whereas UCI and Loyola (assuming I get accepted) would cost about half as much. But Fordham is ranked higher than Loyola and UCI is not ranked yet. Should I attend either Loyola or UCI over Fordham with this mentality? Or should I attend Fordham anyway just in case I do not get an opportunity to transfer out after my first year? Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks!

Jimbo_Jones

Bronze

Re: Choosing a school to transfer out

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Great thing you posted this anonymous, you would have totally been outed! This sounds like an excellent idea, I totally advocate this! You sound like a shoe-in for the T14, I can tell just by the intelligence of your post. Choose the lowest ranked school possible. Everybody knows that the T14 gives extra special favor to low and unranked schools!

Hope that helped!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Jimbo_Jones wrote:Great thing you posted this anonymous, you would have totally been outed! This sounds like an excellent idea, I totally advocate this! You sound like a shoe-in for the T14, I can tell just by the intelligence of your post. Choose the lowest ranked school possible. Everybody knows that the T14 gives extra special favor to low and unranked schools!

Hope that helped!
lol.

to OP: never, ever, attend a law school that you plan to transfer out of. transferring is far from a sure thing; you cannot plan for it.

InnocuousDiatribe

Bronze

Post by InnocuousDiatribe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:13 pm

Lasers wrote:
Jimbo_Jones wrote:Great thing you posted this anonymous, you would have totally been outed! This sounds like an excellent idea, I totally advocate this! You sound like a shoe-in for the T14, I can tell just by the intelligence of your post. Choose the lowest ranked school possible. Everybody knows that the T14 gives extra special favor to low and unranked schools!

Hope that helped!
lol.

to OP: never, ever, attend a law school that you plan to transfer out of. transferring is far from a sure thing; you cannot plan for it.
But if you are dead set on transferring out as a 0L (I was), go to the highest ranked school possible and be prepared to study your ass off.

Seriously though, it's a terrible idea. Coming from someone who did it, it would have been a significantly easier route to have waited a year, retaken the LSAT for a higher score and reapplied. Transferring is one of the most logistically difficult experiences I've ever been though.

Also realize that the transfer process is completely black box. You may be able to predict where you have a chance, but in actuality you won't be able to predict what schools you'll get into--even with top grades, which most T14 transfers have.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Read the forum rules before posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Transfers”