GWU EA/RD Transfer Waiting Thread 2013 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Re: GWU EA xfer 2013 Waiting Thread

Post by TheNextAmendment » Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm

@tttransfer-Mind sharing how well you did after ur transfer? Generalization or specific idc, just curious.

Edit- Congrats all newly accepted transfers!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:@tttransfer-Mind sharing how well you did after ur transfer? Generalization or specific idc, just curious.

Did LOL in the Fall. Looking better now. I could not have cared less about grades in the fall, saw them suffer, and seem to be improving them this semester (3 grades back so far).

auds1008

New

Post by auds1008 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:57 am

Congrats to those who got in! Good luck to all of you still waiting!!

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Sat May 11, 2013 12:54 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:@tttransfer-Mind sharing how well you did after ur transfer? Generalization or specific idc, just curious.

Did LOL in the Fall. Looking better now. I could not have cared less about grades in the fall, saw them suffer, and seem to be improving them this semester (3 grades back so far).
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Hm87

New

Post by Hm87 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Any admits start looking for a place to live or any current students who can shed light on options near the school? Thanks. Feel free to pm me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun May 12, 2013 10:49 pm

If you guys want a fantastic place to live, hit up The Courts at Huntington Station. My roomate and I live there. We both love it. It's in Alexandria, is right at the Huntington metro stop (the stop is literally steps from my apartment), the apartment is brand new and gorgeous, and the rent is very reasonable.

It's about a 40 minute commute door-to-door.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun May 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Hm87 wrote:Any admits start looking for a place to live or any current students who can shed light on options near the school? Thanks. Feel free to pm me.

Roselyn, Ballston, Clariden and Court House are all in VA. I recommend living in VA. The farther you go out on the orange/ blue line the cheaper the rent will get. But the more likely you will need a car.

I like Roselyn, Ballston, and Clariden b/c they are close to GWU about 15-20 minutes, there is stuff you can do in the area, and DC is easily accessible.

Most people I know do not live in DC but VA or MD. MD is much farther away from the school though.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun May 12, 2013 11:50 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Hm87 wrote:Any admits start looking for a place to live or any current students who can shed light on options near the school? Thanks. Feel free to pm me.

Roselyn, Ballston, Clariden and Court House are all in VA. I recommend living in VA. The farther you go out on the orange/ blue line the cheaper the rent will get. But the more likely you will need a car.

I like Roselyn, Ballston, and Clariden b/c they are close to GWU about 15-20 minutes, there is stuff you can do in the area, and DC is easily accessible.

Most people I know do not live in DC but VA or MD. MD is much farther away from the school though.
To add to this, I chose Alexandria because I got a relatively luxurious apartment compared to the Arlington apartments at the same price point.

You can be closer to the city in Arlington, but you won't get as much for the money. So it really depends on what you want to sacrifice.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 am

One thing I wish I had realized: If you decide you want to be in DC itself, don't feel like you have to stick to the Metro. The bus system here is quite good, and I now take buses much more than the Metro because it's cheaper and often less hassle. I think some areas in Virginia also have good bus options too, but I don't know much about that, just that I've heard others mention it.
Also, if you are committed to being on the Metro, the red line is also a good option for school as well as the blue and orange. The Farragut North stop on the red is still pretty close to the law school.
There are some areas, where the Metro is much faster than the bus, but it really depends. If you have questions about particular areas, feel free to PM me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 4:48 pm

I think TTransfer responded, but there seems to be some other current transfer students ITT that I would also like to hear from....

What was your transfer process like. How do you like GW and how are the profs/classes? Did your expectations on transferring get surpassed or was it difficult or harder than you thought. I.e entering a new set of friends, OCI, networking, collegiality...etc. any and all advice/ experience is much appreciated :mrgreen:

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think TTransfer responded, but there seems to be some other current transfer students ITT that I would also like to hear from....

What was your transfer process like. How do you like GW and how are the profs/classes? Did your expectations on transferring get surpassed or was it difficult or harder than you thought. I.e entering a new set of friends, OCI, networking, collegiality...etc. any and all advice/ experience is much appreciated :mrgreen:
I have met a lot of people and making friends has not been that hard. Most of the people that I know are also transfers. OCI kinda sucked for me, but I would recommend networking with alumni as soon as you decide to attend GWU, and also try to get some internship that is good over the summer. Having something to talk about at OCI helps.

The professors are really good and the number of classes offered is very impressive. The interning opportunities are awesome during the school year. You can get almost any agency/gov internship you desire from GWU. Firms also tend to hire 3Ls in DC who have a niche in a specific practice area.

Class is about the same as where I was first year. I did well my first semester, and ok my second. Just keep working hard and you will do ok.

Also if you do the write on preference GWU Law Review, International Law Review, AIPA if patent, PCLJ(if you are a gov/ con person...this is a big field at GWU)...then what ever other crap you want.

ttho520

New

Post by ttho520 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Anyone transferring as a part-time student?

Anonymous User

Re: GWU EA/RD xfer 2013 Waiting Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 22, 2013 1:55 pm

Does anyone know when RD decisions were sent in the past? Were the EA-->RD applicants decisions sent at the same time as the RD only applicants?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blackjack13

New

Post by blackjack13 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 am

When do folks who were admitted EA need to send in deposits by? Trying to gauge if there will be another round of admits soon. Thank you!

paintbynumbers

New

Post by paintbynumbers » Thu May 23, 2013 3:29 pm

anyone think it would be easier to transfer as part-time student as opposed to full-time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 26, 2013 11:11 am

paintbynumbers wrote:anyone think it would be easier to transfer as part-time student as opposed to full-time?
I think their standards are the same... it's probably less competitive but I dunno? I think they look for employability because that affects the emoyment data they release.

Anyone send LOCI & transcript of final grades, etc? Or are y'all sending transcripts w/o sending a LOCI?

auds1008

New

Post by auds1008 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:08 pm

paintbynumbers wrote:anyone think it would be easier to transfer as part-time student as opposed to full-time?
i think it would if you can show a promising marketability of yourself for full time employment during school

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starlaw89

New

Post by starlaw89 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 pm

What kind of GPA do you really need to transfer to GW Law?
Interested to hear from students who already transferred or who were just admitted this year to transfer this fall.
Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:51 pm

starlaw89 wrote:What kind of GPA do you really need to transfer to GW Law?
Interested to hear from students who already transferred or who were just admitted this year to transfer this fall.
Thanks!!
this may also help you out http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=183775

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Has anyone heard any news? Deadline was last Sat. so I suppose we will hear something soon

sap

Bronze

Re: GWU EA/RD Transfer Waiting Thread 2013

Post by sap » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Nothing yet, though my school is slow and for some reason has sent my letter of good standing way later than my transcripts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:38 pm

sap wrote:Nothing yet, though my school is slow and for some reason has sent my letter of good standing way later than my transcripts.
IP?

Fretter31

New

Post by Fretter31 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:48 am

Hi, best of luck to everyone. I am applying for Transfer 2013. I still haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:53 am

Fretter31 wrote:Hi, best of luck to everyone. I am applying for Transfer 2013. I still haven't heard anything.
Same. Silence. What is the date on your status checker?

Jimbo_Jones

Bronze

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:00 pm

My school supposedly mailed them my transcript last week but GW still hasn't received it. WTF

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”