Georgetown Transfer Waiting Thread 2013

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
boxie

Re: GULC EA xfer 2013 Thread --Please Wait To Be Seated

Postby boxie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:57 pm

ld15 wrote:Also, wrote the LOCI... email or snail mail? If decisions are out soon, I'd rather just email, but I didn't know if they would even bother with it at this point if it wasn't a hard copy.

I would email it, given the movement on the dates. They aren't expecting a LOCI, so either way it should look proactive.

ld15 wrote:Went complete 3/27.

Did your address change to get rid of abbreviations? Curious if that was connected to the 3/27 update or was just random.

ld15

Postby ld15 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah Apt --> Apartment... I didn't notice if "avenue" was abbreviated before or not, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:51 pm

For clarity:
Last name: A-E
Application Completed 3/28
Still "Apt."

Are the changes for those who have a 3/27 complete only?

boxie

Postby boxie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Other question to clarify before jumping to conclusions: Did you all apply FT/PT/Both? I applied FT Only.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm

boxie wrote:Other question to clarify before jumping to conclusions: Did you all apply FT/PT/Both? I applied FT Only.

FT only

boxie

Postby boxie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:24 pm

huh. Guess that has nothing to do with it.

We should know more next week if some people get a second update. It's hard to really figure anything out on here with a sample size of ~5 people, but it looks like the address change only happened to 3/27 folks.

DeltPreLaw

Postby DeltPreLaw » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Can we post stats, thats also a good indicator.

I am a 3/27 Update, Address Change (Apt-Apartment), T1 3/196.

boxie

Postby boxie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:55 pm

DeltPreLaw wrote:Can we post stats, thats also a good indicator.

I am a 3/27 Update, Address Change (Apt-Apartment), T1 3/214.

Damn. Your stats are encouraging.

I'm at a T2 top 3%.

DeltPreLaw

Postby DeltPreLaw » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 pm

boxie wrote:
DeltPreLaw wrote:Can we post stats, thats also a good indicator.

I am a 3/27 Update, Address Change (Apt-Apartment), T1 3/214.

Damn. Your stats are encouraging.

I'm at a T2 top 3%.

Thanks, I fixed my stats, I had originally included transfer/international students in class number but our school doesnt rank them with first year entries.

Scoot Scoot

Postby Scoot Scoot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Overlooking the fact that I'm over analyzing a micro sample size, 3/27 change seems more encouraging than 3/28. I went complete 3/28 and have far less impressive stats (T1 10-15%).

Transfer2DC

Postby Transfer2DC » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Scoot Scoot wrote:Overlooking the fact that I'm over analyzing a micro sample size, 3/27 change seems more encouraging than 3/28. I went complete 3/28 and have far less impressive stats (T1 10-15%).

Im in your boat.

successfultransfer

Postby successfultransfer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:21 pm

echooo23 wrote:Do people actually send LOCIs for transfer apps?

YES. Many of them. Seriously. But, I would make sure that you actually have something new to say in it. Don't just reiterate information already in your application. I sent them probably 5 LOCIs throughout the summer, as well two additional letters of recommendation, and I eventually got in.

I applied EA last year, got deferred, and then got wait-listed from the regular decision deadline, and then eventually got in just before classes started (as did about 5 or 6 other people that I know of). I came from a very low-ranked TTT school, with a really crappy LSAT score. So basically, if GULC is really your top choice and you're willing to wait out the excruciating amount of time it might take them to finally accept you, then do it, because you will have a shot. Good luck to you all! I remember waiting this thing out last year and it was miserable. Has anyone posted or found the link to the UN/PW backdoor check yet, by the way?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:31 pm

successfultransfer wrote:

YES. Many of them. Seriously. But, I would make sure that you actually have something new to say in it. Don't just reiterate information already in your application. I sent them probably 5 LOCIs throughout the summer, as well two additional letters of recommendation, and I eventually got in.

I applied EA last year, got deferred, and then got wait-listed from the regular decision deadline, and then eventually got in just before classes started (as did about 5 or 6 other people that I know of). I came from a very low-ranked TTT school, with a really crappy LSAT score. So basically, if GULC is really your top choice and you're willing to wait out the excruciating amount of time it might take them to finally accept you, then do it, because you will have a shot. Good luck to you all! I remember waiting this thing out last year and it was miserable. Has anyone posted or found the link to the UN/PW backdoor check yet, by the way?

Fantastic... That is good to know. Can you share your #s? (At the time you applied and your final 1L #s)

successfultransfer

Postby successfultransfer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Fantastic... That is good to know. Can you share your #s? (At the time you applied and your final 1L #s)

When I applied EA I had a 4.0. After spring I had a 3.8 and was 2nd in my class. So I was definitely a long shot. But I stuck it out until the bitter end and seriously could not be happier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fantastic... That is good to know. Can you share your #s? (At the time you applied and your final 1L #s)

When I applied EA I had a 4.0. After spring I had a 3.8 and was 2nd in my class. So I was definitely a long shot. But I stuck it out until the bitter end and seriously could not be happier.

Thanks! Makes me think I am on the road to deferrville :| can you elaborate on what you wrote in each LOCI? What different things did you add each time? I have already sent one in, and I have no problem sending more.

successfultransfer

Postby successfultransfer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fantastic... That is good to know. Can you share your #s? (At the time you applied and your final 1L #s)

Thanks! Makes me think I am on the road to deferrville :| can you elaborate on what you wrote in each LOCI? What different things did you add each time? I have already sent one in, and I have no problem sending more.

Try not to worry. Again, I was coming from a really horribly ranked school, with a really terrible LSAT score. I went straight through to law school, so no work experience or other great thinks to tout about myself. So I had a lot working against me, but still managed to get in at the eleventh hour.

I would write something any time I had something new to say. For instance, right after spring semester, I traveled to participate in an international law conference which related to the subject I'm interested in practicing. So I wrote a letter about that. Then I randomly decided to throw in an application to GW so I could make sure I would actually get to DC, even if GULC didn't accept me - when I was accepted to GW, I wrote another letter, reiterating why GULC was my first choice. When I had great new experiences in my summer internship, I wrote another letter. So on and so forth.

I also had only included one LOR in my initial app, so I had a second professor write a LOR after I was deferred into the regular application pool, and had an internship supervisor from the summer send yet another LOR when I was wait-listed.

Also, everyone checked this website religiously to see if they were admitted - if you go and put in the information, if they've accepted you (even if they haven't told you yet), they'll email you a UN/PW to get into the admitted students website.
http://apps.law.georgetown.edu/admitted ... ssword.cfm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:16 pm

successfultransfer wrote:Try not to worry. Again, I was coming from a really horribly ranked school, with a really terrible LSAT score. I went straight through to law school, so no work experience or other great thinks to tout about myself. So I had a lot working against me, but still managed to get in at the eleventh hour.

I would write something any time I had something new to say. For instance, right after spring semester, I traveled to participate in an international law conference which related to the subject I'm interested in practicing. So I wrote a letter about that. Then I randomly decided to throw in an application to GW so I could make sure I would actually get to DC, even if GULC didn't accept me - when I was accepted to GW, I wrote another letter, reiterating why GULC was my first choice. When I had great new experiences in my summer internship, I wrote another letter. So on and so forth.

I also had only included one LOR in my initial app, so I had a second professor write a LOR after I was deferred into the regular application pool, and had an internship supervisor from the summer send yet another LOR when I was wait-listed.

Also, everyone checked this website religiously to see if they were admitted - if you go and put in the information, if they've accepted you (even if they haven't told you yet), they'll email you a UN/PW to get into the admitted students website.
http://apps.law.georgetown.edu/admitted ... ssword.cfm

Thank! This is all great information :)

Have you had success w/ finding a job or at OCI? How are the classes? Other students? What about the exams at GULC? Anything you feel that would be helpful information would be appreciated!! How do you like it there?! Again, thanks for your help! What do you wish you would have known going into a new school??

Transfer2DC

Postby Transfer2DC » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:17 pm

3/28 Updater. Just got another update to 4/2. Expecting a deferral.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Transfer2DC wrote:3/28 Updater. Just got another update to 4/2. Expecting a deferral.

this. :|

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Transferring is such a huge black box. I don't know your stats, but I wouldn't assume you're getting deferred just yet. No need to send out anymore LOCIs until you get spring grades back.

To provide some hope, I was #3 in my class at a crappy TTT with a crappy LSAT score and unimpressive UG GPA, and I got in EA.

Also - if anyone has questions about transfer applications, the journal write-on process, OCI and bidding, transfer stuff and resumes, clinics, public interest, DC in general, classes, GULC in general, feel free to PM me. I probably won't see your questions if you post in here.

OSUDEVIL

Postby OSUDEVIL » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Transfer2DC wrote:3/28 Updater. Just got another update to 4/2. Expecting a deferral.

Also This :?

ld15

Postby ld15 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm still at 3/27.

Is there any real basis for assuming this means anything, or are we just doing as law students do and speculating and stressing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:13 pm

ld15 wrote:I'm still at 3/27.

Is there any real basis for assuming this means anything, or are we just doing as law students do and speculating and stressing?

speculating and stressing :oops:

devils3023

Postby devils3023 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Just thought I'd add my info and stats to the group. Applied EA 2/7 with a 3.74 from a mid T2. Here's my app status changes:

2/7 - submitted
2/19 - status checker email
2/19 - app completed
3/27 - app completed

I noticed my address does say "Apartment" as opposed to just "apt." but I'm not sure when (or if it even did) change as I was not paying attention to it prior to reading this thread. Good luck everyone!

Scoot Scoot

Postby Scoot Scoot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 pm

OSUDEVIL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also This :?

Joining this group as well.

Return to “Transfers”