A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
squid2211

Postby squid2211 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Last edited by squid2211 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a11 1n

Re: T20, Top ~10%, Looking for CA

Postby a11 1n » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:11 pm

I don't think USC/UCLA is worth the losing the scholly at all. I'm assuming were talking GW? Maybe Minnesota? I imagine neither has much sway on the west coast as far as OCI goes, but a targeted mailing effort can return results for you, especially with law review on the resume. Plus, the lack of debt means you can afford taking a non big-law job and still live comfortably.

From what I have read, Berkley tends to be insular, cherry-picking from the plethora of first and second tier Cali law schools. Does not mean you do not have a shot, but gun for top 5% and stress your local ties when applying. Berkley aside, you should put some serious thought into CCN. I know at Chicago there are a few transfers who will be summering in California, and California firms were generally well represented. I imagine the New York counterparts are similar, though its best to get some advice from someone at those schools. I would also put some thought into Michigan and Penn since I imagine both get good west coast OCI exposure.

squid2211

Postby squid2211 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:07 pm

a11 1n wrote:I don't think USC/UCLA is worth the losing the scholly at all. I'm assuming were talking GW? Maybe Minnesota? I imagine neither has much sway on the west coast as far as OCI goes, but a targeted mailing effort can return results for you, especially with law review on the resume. Plus, the lack of debt means you can afford taking a non big-law job and still live comfortably.

From what I have read, Berkley tends to be insular, cherry-picking from the plethora of first and second tier Cali law schools. Does not mean you do not have a shot, but gun for top 5% and stress your local ties when applying. Berkley aside, you should put some serious thought into CCN. I know at Chicago there are a few transfers who will be summering in California, and California firms were generally well represented. I imagine the New York counterparts are similar, though its best to get some advice from someone at those schools. I would also put some thought into Michigan and Penn since I imagine both get good west coast OCI exposure.

Last edited by squid2211 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buddingjd

Postby buddingjd » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Top 10% at a T20 makes you very competitive for H. I probably wouldn't ED Chicago unless you anticipate grades dropping.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:30 pm

buddingjd wrote:Top 10% at a T20 makes you very competitive for H. I probably wouldn't ED Chicago unless you anticipate grades dropping.

I'm pretty sure this is false. Maybe it was true before ITE, but I don't think it's true any more, especially when you say "very competitive." Outside shot maybe, but far from a guarantee.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:30 pm

squid2211 wrote:Currently 1L at a T20 and ~10% according to online calculator. Wife has ties to SF and LA, and we ideally would like to end up in one of the two cities. Aside from transferring to Berkeley, are there any other good options (UCLA, USC)? Would transferring to CCN be worth it to try for West Coast? What kind of rank is needed at a T20 for Berkeley - top 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%?

Also, would not be foregoing a very large scholarship, and I will likely be close to debt free upon graduation whether I transfer or stay here.

You are my clone..... or did I write this after bar review one night? :D

squid2211

Postby squid2211 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Nammertat wrote:
squid2211 wrote:Currently 1L at a T20 and ~10% according to online calculator. Wife has ties to SF and LA, and we ideally would like to end up in one of the two cities. Aside from transferring to Berkeley, are there any other good options (UCLA, USC)? Would transferring to CCN be worth it to try for West Coast? What kind of rank is needed at a T20 for Berkeley - top 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%?

Also, would not be foregoing a very large scholarship, and I will likely be close to debt free upon graduation whether I transfer or stay here.

Last edited by squid2211 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:50 pm

squid2211 wrote:
Nammertat wrote:

Are you at GW? What are you thinking? Do you think a CCN transfer would be worthwhile? I am not set on DC, and would be fine in DC or NY, but would strongly prefer LA/SF. Any idea if Berkeley would be interested if only my wife, rather than me, has ties? A lot of the information suggests they like CA ties, and I have none aside from my wife.

Yeah, at GW. I'm thinking if HYS/Berkeley lets me in I'll go, but will likely not consider CCN. I'm looking for IP lit, so GW's OCI isn't a ton different in that respect from CCN. i'm in a similar boat region-wise. DC would be alright, but would definitely prefer to be back west.

As far as ties go, I think people make a slightly bigger deal than it really is. A friend of mine transferred to Berkeley with similar stats to us without any ties at all. The numbers are fairly skewed because it's such an easy move to go from hastings/davis/USF/irvine/santaclara to Berkeley, and therefore they have a ton more applicants out of that pool. (also a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy) Ask around to GW's transfer students... they similarly all came from the east. Having said that, definitely include your wife's career ties to the area and ultimate intent to end up in SF as reasoning for choosing them over CCN & others.

squid2211

Postby squid2211 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Nammertat wrote:
squid2211 wrote:
Nammertat wrote:

Are you at GW? What are you thinking? Do you think a CCN transfer would be worthwhile? I am not set on DC, and would be fine in DC or NY, but would strongly prefer LA/SF. Any idea if Berkeley would be interested if only my wife, rather than me, has ties? A lot of the information suggests they like CA ties, and I have none aside from my wife.

Yeah, at GW. I'm thinking if HYS/Berkeley lets me in I'll go, but will likely not consider CCN. I'm looking for IP lit, so GW's OCI isn't a ton different in that respect from CCN. i'm in a similar boat region-wise. DC would be alright, but would definitely prefer to be back west.

As far as ties go, I think people make a slightly bigger deal than it really is. A friend of mine transferred to Berkeley with similar stats to us without any ties at all. The numbers are fairly skewed because it's such an easy move to go from hastings/davis/USF/irvine/santaclara to Berkeley, and therefore they have a ton more applicants out of that pool. (also a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy) Ask around to GW's transfer students... they similarly all came from the east. Having said that, definitely include your wife's career ties to the area and ultimate intent to end up in SF as reasoning for choosing them over CCN & others.

What grades do you think are necessary to get into Berkeley? Would we need to stay at top ~10%? Or would top 15% or 20% still be enough? Do you have any idea.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Really hard to say... Take a look at the yahoo transfer database for a larger sample size, but it's still a crapshoot at times. I have heard from a few Berkeley transfers that LRW grades are looked at with slightly more weight, but that is entirely hearsay.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Apply everywhere. Cal, Stanford and UCLA. You will get in Top 10% at T20 to some T14 as a transfer. If you do not get into a big CA school being at a T14 will help you get back too.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:37 pm

There's no grade range that's a lock for transferring. There's almost certainly a grade floor somewhere (which you are comfortably above), but too much depends on the credentials of the other students applying from your school. If 5 other GWers with higher GPAs / better resumes / stronger California ties also apply to Berkley, you're almost certainly out even with a 3.8. It's unlikely they would fill up their small transfer class with 6 GWers no matter how qualified the 6th one might be. There is no way to predict how many well-qualified GW students have an interest in transferring to the west coast this year.

If you're west coast or bust, UCLA and maybe USC are probably worth it too since you're paying sticker either way.

I feel I should mention that it's not impossible to find a good job in those two markets coming from GW. I applied nationwide out of paranoia and I ended up with offers at a couple of the big West Coast firms without any ties to the West Coast at all.

Re: CCN worth it? In your situation, I don't think it is. I think giving up Law Review hurts you too much. If you strike out at west coast firms next fall but maintain your grades and make law review at GW, you have a secondary path back west by gunning for an Art. III clerkship and applying again after completing your clerkship.

Trying to secure an clerkship for immediately after graduation as a transfer to CCN would be much harder as you would have no references, likely no journal, and only one year of grades (maybe even only one semester of grades given how many judges are coming off plan).

squid2211

Postby squid2211 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Assuming I don't get into Berkeley, what rank from GW would I need to be accepted at UCLA/USC? What kind of grades would make me competitive at OCI, and how difficult would it be to sell LA?

I took the LSAT 3 times and ended up median/slightly above median for USC/UCLA but had low UGPA and was not accepted to either.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:19 am

squid2211 wrote:Assuming I don't get into Berkeley, what rank from GW would I need to be accepted at UCLA/USC? What kind of grades would make me competitive at OCI, and how difficult would it be to sell LA?

I took the LSAT 3 times and ended up median/slightly above median for USC/UCLA but had low UGPA and was not accepted to either.

not sure what rank you would need to get in, but probably top 25% would make you somewhat competitive at OCI, though the higher, the better. selling LA isn't hard so long as you stress why you transferred (i.e. you want to work here long term, even if you don't) and that your wife has ties. very easy sell. it is california, after all.

you can pm if you have any specific questions. i went from hastings to usc. also had option of ucla, so i know quite a bit about the schools.

also, if you're top 10% at GW, your chances are strong for berkeley.

squid2211

Postby squid2211 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:58 pm

Return to “Transfers”