Any disadvantage to Georgetown EA? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any disadvantage to Georgetown EA?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:41 am

I think I know the answer to this but poked around the forums for a bit and couldn't find any info on the GULC transfer site for confirmation.

I'm right at the top 5% cutoff from one of Baylor/SMU/Houston and am looking to transfer. My school list is looking like Texas, Columbia, NYU, GULC and my interest is more or less in that order. I have strong ties to Texas, and DC or NY would be more hospitable to my significant other's career in addition to the better law school. I was planning on submitting an application for the GULC EA. I got my letter of recommendation already and getting the rest of the application together wouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering what are my chances are for the EA and what happens if I apply and am not accepted but might be with my complete first-year grades? Can I reapply for regular decision if my grades improve? I didn't do any early decision applications for regular admission, so I don't know how this works.

Also, on a related note...is it worth trying to cast a wider net and applying to more T14 schools? Those listed make the most sense for me, but I'd probably consider any T14. Would GW be worth it from where I'm at?

pat4redick

New

Re: Any disadvantage to Georgetown EA?

Post by pat4redick » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 am

The only thing I can to speak to is if you are not accepted EA, then your application rolls over to regular admission. I don't think they deny anyone. Someone more knowledgeable will have to answer the other 95% of your post lol.

Oglethorpe

New

Post by Oglethorpe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think I know the answer to this but poked around the forums for a bit and couldn't find any info on the GULC transfer site for confirmation.

I'm right at the top 5% cutoff from one of Baylor/SMU/Houston and am looking to transfer. My school list is looking like Texas, Columbia, NYU, GULC and my interest is more or less in that order. I have strong ties to Texas, and DC or NY would be more hospitable to my significant other's career in addition to the better law school. I was planning on submitting an application for the GULC EA. I got my letter of recommendation already and getting the rest of the application together wouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering what are my chances are for the EA and what happens if I apply and am not accepted but might be with my complete first-year grades? Can I reapply for regular decision if my grades improve? I didn't do any early decision applications for regular admission, so I don't know how this works.

Also, on a related note...is it worth trying to cast a wider net and applying to more T14 schools? Those listed make the most sense for me, but I'd probably consider any T14. Would GW be worth it from where I'm at?
Regarding your GULC EA question, I would say that you are likely in EA, but nothing is certain in the transfer game. The downside of GULC EA is the money. If you get in EA, you will have to pay a huge nonrefundable security deposit well before the higher schools on your list render decisions. The upside, however, is that GULC will be your safety school in case your grades slip (this happens more than people care to admit). You have to decide if a guaranteed spot in the T-14 is worth the large security deposit; it was for me.

If you don't get in EA, you are deferred to regular transfer admissions. I believe you just send updated transcripts once you get your spring grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks for the responses. Olgethorpe, would you mind sharing what the deposit was and when it was due? Our grades came back pretty quickly after fall, so maybe there's a chance I'd have my full semester grades before paying? I do like the idea of having a "safety" transfer option. Especially since Texas doesn't take many transfers and the other schools are probably reaches at this point.

Oglethorpe

New

Post by Oglethorpe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the responses. Olgethorpe, would you mind sharing what the deposit was and when it was due? Our grades came back pretty quickly after fall, so maybe there's a chance I'd have my full semester grades before paying? I do like the idea of having a "safety" transfer option. Especially since Texas doesn't take many transfers and the other schools are probably reaches at this point.
Off the top of my head, I think the deposit was $2,000 payable in two payments with separate due dates for each. The first payment was significantly smaller and came due about two weeks after I was accepted. The second payment was due around the time I was getting my spring grades, so you might actually get your grades first, but there is no way that you will have heard back from other schools. There are also several refund availability deadlines. The longer you wait, the less of your deposit you get back. Keep in mind that these dates are pretty unreasonable. I only applied to one other school, and by the time I received that decision it was too late to get any of my deposit refunded.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 pm

I assume you can't pull something like withdraw from the EA after being admitted and be considered again for the regular class? The EA acceptance just serving as an indication of admission chances? $2000 isn't what I anticipated and might make for a hard decision...especially since if I maintain, I should have a solid chance for regular admission.

Oglethorpe

New

Post by Oglethorpe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I assume you can't pull something like withdraw from the EA after being admitted and be considered again for the regular class? The EA acceptance just serving as an indication of admission chances? $2000 isn't what I anticipated and might make for a hard decision...especially since if I maintain, I should have a solid chance for regular admission.
I really don't know if you could withdraw and then reapply. That would kind of defeat the purpose of GULC EA. Think of it as an insurance policy in case your grades drop. If you stay at or inside the top 5%, you should get into at least one of the other schools you listed and won't need GULC EA. If you drop outside the top 5%, you are unlikely to get into any of the T-14, including GULC. In short, EA is not an indication of your regular admission chances because regular admission takes into account your spring grades. So I don't see how applying EA and then withdrawing would help you at all. Everything would still depend on your spring grades.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:49 pm

The disadvantage is you pay sticker at GULC

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:33 pm

$400/$800 makes it more appealing.

I know there's a recent thread discussing this, but while I have your attention I'd appreciate any advice on my unique circumstances. Our living expenses are going to be covered where we're at or in D.C. by my wife's job, so I'm just looking at a tuition difference. Sticker at Georgetown versus what I have now would be a $60,000 difference in pre-interest loans. I am somewhat interested in big law, but I would have a good shot at a job at my current school and through connections. The real motivation to transfer, aside from my wife's career opportunities, is that I'm not sold on the BigLaw life or career path. I haven't narrowed my interests outside of it much...but a federal judicial clerkship, legislative work, academia, and some public interest areas appeal to me. I would have almost no shot at any of that -- even graduating at the very top -- where I am now. So it's more about the opportunities outside of biglaw that interest me. I also just like the idea of going to a more challenging environment with smarter students. All that might be worth $60K to me. Am I thinking about this right?

jess

Post by jess » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:25 am

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:$400/$800 makes it more appealing.

I know there's a recent thread discussing this, but while I have your attention I'd appreciate any advice on my unique circumstances. Our living expenses are going to be covered where we're at or in D.C. by my wife's job, so I'm just looking at a tuition difference. Sticker at Georgetown versus what I have now would be a $60,000 difference in pre-interest loans. I am somewhat interested in big law, but I would have a good shot at a job at my current school and through connections. The real motivation to transfer, aside from my wife's career opportunities, is that I'm not sold on the BigLaw life or career path. I haven't narrowed my interests outside of it much...but a federal judicial clerkship, legislative work, academia, and some public interest areas appeal to me. I would have almost no shot at any of that -- even graduating at the very top -- where I am now. So it's more about the opportunities outside of biglaw that interest me. I also just like the idea of going to a more challenging environment with smarter students. All that might be worth $60K to me. Am I thinking about this right?
So are you the op or no? I can address some of your Q's if you PM me.
Yep, OP here...all the anonymous posts on here are mine...guess I'm supposed to identify myself as such.

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:The disadvantage is you pay sticker at GULC
Not necessarily. When I was admitted EA they offered me ~20k in need aid. How much you get though depends on your situation obviously.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:37 am

The disadvantage is going to GTown. High cost of living and lowest placement rate of T14s. Coming from someone who wanted to be in DC and didn't even apply there, hold out for something better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 am

OP here. I guess the tough choice will be if its between transfer to GULC or stay where I'm at. I'm hoping I'll have other choices but if that's it, despite the cost of living, it's still appealing. It seems like it would open up a lot of doors -- albeit not much in some cases -- that are firmly shut where I'm at. I think I'll probably skip the EA, though, and take my chances with the regular decision. If all it amounts to is "transfer insurance" I'm not sure it makes sense, at $2000 or $1200.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”