transfer from one T14 to another

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

transfer from one T14 to another

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 am

Is it possible to transfer to a T14 (where I received full-ride but decided to not to attend) and receive merit-based scholarship as a transfer student?

buddingjd

Re: transfer from one T14 to another

Postby buddingjd » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to transfer to a T14 (where I received full-ride but decided to not to attend) and receive merit-based scholarship as a transfer student?

Highly unlikely. They give scholarship money to people that can bolster their USNWR rankings; alas, transfers don't affect the rankings at all.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:40 am

they dont give transfers scholarships the first year ( 2L). maybe if you do well enough, you could apply for a scholarship for 3L year, but you will most likely end up paying sticker. But, your GPA starts over at 0, so in essence, your 2L year can be like 1L all over ( in terms of gpa importance), so you may have to work harder than the rest of the 2L classmates ( who can slack or gun, and realize that no matter what, its not going to totally affect their gpa too much, one way or another each semseter).

So before you commit to starting over, ask yourself "why am I doing this?" What are your reasons? is it for job prospects ( you want to network/ show your commitment in/to a certain city? Is the transfer school closer to home? ( its a legit reason) Weigh the pros and cons, and that will help you decide. But if you arent totally sure, you an always throw a transfer app in and see how it plays out.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:39 pm

northwood wrote:they dont give transfers scholarships the first year ( 2L). maybe if you do well enough, you could apply for a scholarship for 3L year, but you will most likely end up paying sticker. But, your GPA starts over at 0, so in essence, your 2L year can be like 1L all over ( in terms of gpa importance), so you may have to work harder than the rest of the 2L classmates ( who can slack or gun, and realize that no matter what, its not going to totally affect their gpa too much, one way or another each semseter).

So before you commit to starting over, ask yourself "why am I doing this?" What are your reasons? is it for job prospects ( you want to network/ show your commitment in/to a certain city? Is the transfer school closer to home? ( its a legit reason) Weigh the pros and cons, and that will help you decide. But if you arent totally sure, you an always throw a transfer app in and see how it plays out.

This is not necessarily true... A friend of mine successfully negotiated $$ as a transfer by leveraging other acceptances (T14). I don't think it's common, but it's definitely not impossible.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:07 pm

northwood wrote:they dont give transfers scholarships the first year ( 2L). maybe if you do well enough, you could apply for a scholarship for 3L year, but you will most likely end up paying sticker. But, your GPA starts over at 0, so in essence, your 2L year can be like 1L all over ( in terms of gpa importance), so you may have to work harder than the rest of the 2L classmates ( who can slack or gun, and realize that no matter what, its not going to totally affect their gpa too much, one way or another each semseter).

Your GPA does not start over for any functional purpose. Sure, your new school's GPA will not factor in your old grades, but employers will still see them, which is all that matters.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to transfer to a T14 (where I received full-ride but decided to not to attend) and receive merit-based scholarship as a transfer student?

If you transfer to HYS (which I guess is what you want) then you are eligible for need aid which could defray the cost quite a bit IIRC

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Anyone know what kinds of grades one needs to transfer from a lower T14 to HYS? What about Columbia?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:58 pm

BigLawer wrote:Anyone know what kinds of grades one needs to transfer from a lower T14 to HYS? What about Columbia?

Easy to find: http://www.top-law-schools.com/advice-f ... ml#Chances

Also, this specific question has been asked a ton, so more answers should be easy to find.

We've all made mistakes, but just try next time, okay?

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:00 pm

txdude45 wrote:
BigLawer wrote:Anyone know what kinds of grades one needs to transfer from a lower T14 to HYS? What about Columbia?

Easy to find: http://www.top-law-schools.com/advice-f ... ml#Chances

Also, this specific question has been asked a ton, so more answers should be easy to find.

We've all made mistakes, but just try next time, okay?

Thanks! Sorry, pretty new to the forum. Friend at school turned me onto it beginning of this year.

So that says top 5-10% to transfer to HYS from T20, would this include coming from Michigan or UVA?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:12 pm

BigLawer wrote:So that says top 5-10% to transfer to HYS from T20, would this include coming from Michigan or UVA?

If you aren't trolling, law school may not be for you.

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:31 pm

txdude45 wrote:
BigLawer wrote:So that says top 5-10% to transfer to HYS from T20, would this include coming from Michigan or UVA?

Why because I think it should be easier from UVA/Michigan than from Vandy... Why is that so weird. Hard to tell a T10 student in the top 15% that law school isn't for him.... Nice

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:36 pm

BigLawer wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

Why because I think it should be easier from UVA/Michigan than from Vandy... Why is that so weird. Hard to tell a T10 student in the top 15% that law school isn't for him.... Nice

pretty sure he/she was referring to the fact that you could easily look it up...which is what a lot of lawyering will be about (researching things)

as for your question, I don't think anyone on this forum has a definitive answer but honestly top 5-10% from a t20 seems to be a stretch to get into HYS (especially YS)

looking at past posts and yahoo groups transfer data, 5-10% for MVP gives you a shot at HYS

this is my personal opinion, but I think top 15% is probably out, but worth an app anyway

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:40 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:
BigLawer wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

pretty sure he/she was referring to the fact that you could easily look it up...which is what a lot of lawyering will be about (researching things)

as for your question, I don't think anyone on this forum has a definitive answer but honestly top 5-10% from a t20 seems to be a stretch to get into HYS (especially YS)

looking at past posts and yahoo groups transfer data, 5-10% for MVP gives you a shot at HYS

this is my personal opinion, but I think top 15% is probably out, but worth an app anyway

There just seems to be a lot of conflicting evidence. One person says that top 10-20% from MVP is a lock and others say need to be top 10% I am sure you are right that no one knows for sure. Just wondering if anyone noticed any kind of change as apps have been down recently. Probably doesn't matter for Harvard since their class is so big and I'm sure they don't have a problem filling it up

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:44 pm

yeah agreed, definitely a lot of conflicting evidence. The more I think about it though, top 15% isn't a "probably out" scenario...more like fighting chance at H. I was probably a bit too pessimistic w/ that estimate based on how much harder it seems to be for YS transfers

overall, it seems like top 15% at t10 = fighting chance at H; top 10% at t10 = fighting chance at YS...and of course this is totally based on a thorough review of past threads =)

Return to “Transfers”