AU to GULC EA; International Trade Law

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

AU to GULC EA transfer for top 5% student pursuing international trade law? (debt free)

Poll ended at Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Stay at AU
100%
Transfer to GULC
No votes

Total votes: 2

Anonymous User

AU to GULC EA; International Trade Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm torn, and I would very much appreciate your input.

My specific situation:
Debt Free.
Currently considering EA transfer to GULC from American.
I'm in the top 5% of my class.
Plan on pursuing a career in international trade law, specifically, private practice (either in DC or NYC)
Also currently enrolled as a JD/MA at AU to get a concurrent masters in international relations (I'm having my doubts about this though).
Academic Scholarship/Honors if I stay at AU.
Very interested in ADR extra-curriculars, specifically, international commercial arbitration.
Would be able to go abroad for international law courses and a possible externship abroad in my 1L summer (if I don't apply to transfer).

Questions:
1. What are my chances of being admitted to GULC if I apply EA?
2. Is it honestly worth the pain of applying/giving up the opportunities I'd be (basically) guaranteed at AU? (especially considering the relative strengths of each school's international trade law program?)
3. Again, what is going to benefit me more in the long run: a GULC degree with probably less distinction or an AU degree with honors and more readily accessible/more robust extra-curricular opportunities/experiences?
4. Does anyone have experience with relative "employability" differences in these two situations?
5. Does anyone have comments on a transfer student's ability to participate in extra-curriculars (aside from Law Review and Moot - that issue has already been addressed for me) such as Moot arbitration/negotiation competitions or other kinds of opportunities?

Feel free to answer any or all of these questions, or just address them generally.

Thank you in advance for the help.

a11 1n

Re: AU to GULC EA; International Trade Law

Postby a11 1n » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 pm

[my slightly informed] Answers

1. Lock
2. Pain of applying is very low...its some time writing and assembling documents and working up the gall to ask a prof for letter of rec. As for the latter, my general advice is your better off staying at AU and finishing toward the top of you class than giving up those accolades to compete with 600 other students at Gtown.
3. Again, the latter.
4. n/a
5. n/a

Generally - I understand your pursuit of international trade law makes AU/Gtown attractive, but have you given serious thought to other schools? Specifically the t6? More specifically C/N? I know you are considering EA and those schools do not have EA, but your best course of action is probably to double down second semester and get great grades, then apply RD to C/N. If you want, you can apply RD to gtown at that point too.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:09 pm

5. There is an ADR team you can join. There are also competitions on campus you can sign up for to compete against other GULCers. You can probably look this up on the Barristers Council website.

gtownyesplease

Postby gtownyesplease » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:35 pm

tortfeasor87

Postby tortfeasor87 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm torn, and I would very much appreciate your input.

My specific situation:
Debt Free.
Currently considering EA transfer to GULC from American.
I'm in the top 5% of my class.
Plan on pursuing a career in international trade law, specifically, private practice (either in DC or NYC)
Also currently enrolled as a JD/MA at AU to get a concurrent masters in international relations (I'm having my doubts about this though).
Academic Scholarship/Honors if I stay at AU.
Very interested in ADR extra-curriculars, specifically, international commercial arbitration.
Would be able to go abroad for international law courses and a possible externship abroad in my 1L summer (if I don't apply to transfer).

Questions:
1. What are my chances of being admitted to GULC if I apply EA?
2. Is it honestly worth the pain of applying/giving up the opportunities I'd be (basically) guaranteed at AU? (especially considering the relative strengths of each school's international trade law program?)
3. Again, what is going to benefit me more in the long run: a GULC degree with probably less distinction or an AU degree with honors and more readily accessible/more robust extra-curricular opportunities/experiences?
4. Does anyone have experience with relative "employability" differences in these two situations?
5. Does anyone have comments on a transfer student's ability to participate in extra-curriculars (aside from Law Review and Moot - that issue has already been addressed for me) such as Moot arbitration/negotiation competitions or other kinds of opportunities?

Feel free to answer any or all of these questions, or just address them generally.

Thank you in advance for the help.

I'd drop that MA program, especially if you have to take summer classes that may interfere with a 1L SA or internship. I wouldn't do any dual degree program, unless it was an MBA and even then I'd only do it at select schools, like HLS or Northwestern. The argument is that the extra degree, like an MA, adds value, but a liberal arts masters is useless. I could see the value in an MPP if I were hoping to do gov't work or maybe an MPH, but even then.

1. High. I'd look at other schools as well if I were you
2. Yes. Comparing relative strengths of niche programs is not a worthwhile exercise. Undoubtedly, Vermont Law, Pace, and Lewis & Clark have the strongest environmental law programs, but employers don't really care. They'll hire the Columbia or Northwestern environmental lawyer over students from those programs. I'd rather have a GULC degree over an American degree, especially while job hunting. I'd also recommend that you think about broadening your horizons so you don't pigeon hole yourself. I don't know your life situation, prior experience, language skills, etc, but I do know that some law firms laugh at rising 2Ls who come in with a specific niche in which they have no prior experience. I remember one partner at V20 telling me about a prospective 2L who wanted to do international environmental law and he asked them point blank 1) have you taken environmental law, 2) have you taken international law, 3) do you have any background or experience in environmental policy or law, 4) do you speak chinese or any language other than French or Spanish, 5) you do know that we are a NYC firm and we do not have a robust environmental law practice. The answer to 1,2, and 4 was no, 3 was answered by "I minored in environmental studies in undergrad" which held no heft, and 5 was met by silence. Don't be that guy.
3. You can get honors at GULC. You will be walking into a generous upperclass curve and surrounded by students who fall in these categories 1) lazy 3Ls waiting to take the bar, 2) depressed 3Ls, 3) those kids in the bottom half of the 2L class who still haven't figured it out, 4) checked out 2Ls who have SAs lined up.
4.Certainly, transferring to GULC will not guarantee you a job, but you'll have a much better shot than if you stay at American. American has about twenty firms poke around during OCI season, probably on a pre-select basis. If they don't like your resume or have no use for an international trade associate, they won't interview you. GULC has more firms stop by at their early interview week. GULC also has a strong alumni network. As a result, GULC places 33% of its grads in big law spots, while American places 8%. I'd go with the safer bet. TLSers may rip on GULC, but at the end of the day you have to look at your chances of getting a job. Its better at GULC than if you stay at American. At the same time, if you can transfer to GULC, why not try to go higher with CCNMVP, unless you are committed to DC. (Note its not the best time to be job hunting in DC).
5. You can do all those things.

Return to “Transfers”