Transferring Law Schools Within Texas

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring Law Schools Within Texas

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:40 am

2nd semester as a 1L at Baylor/SMU/UH

Dont have my fall grades in yet.

I want to transfer from one of these three schools to another one of these three schools for various reasons.

What would be the minimum requirement to have a shot at transferring between these schools for my 2L year?

If anyone has personal experience doing this please post whatever insight you may have.

Thanks

nfggcaar

Re: Transferring Law Schools Within Texas

Postby nfggcaar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:22 am

Last edited by nfggcaar on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:08 am

My guess is above median should do the trick. 1/3 should make it a near lock. Just below median still has a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 am

OP here

Anyone out there that transferred between these schools have any insight?

Anyone have a successful peer transfer like this below median ?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:25 pm

I would say that below median applicants would need a compelling reason (i.e. my parent is on their death bed or I just got married and my spouse is doing his/her medical residency in your school's city) to overcome a rank that's too far below median. But law school transferring between peer schools is such a black box that it wouldn't hurt to send out an app.

If you're above median at UH, and you're contemplating transferring to Baylor, don't.

If you're really above median at UH (like top 10% or even top 25%) and you're contemplating transferring to SMU, then seriously consider what you're throwing away by leaving.

Mostly, work like hell to increase your GPA as much as possible this semester. None of these schools have an early admission program for transfers, so you'll need your second semester grades before a decision is made anyway.

dsb83

Postby dsb83 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Everyone that I know at UH had their grades by mid-Jan. UH 1L here. I agree with the above poster based on what I've heard about Baylor...either UH or SMU to Baylor would be a mistake for a number of reasons. I am not sure I understand the UH <---> SMU move either. Since the rankings and admissions standards of all three are pretty close, it seems like top third would definitely be a lock. Also, since the moves don't really make a lot of sense, you probably have a good reason aside from school or job prospects, so emphasizing that may help you.

Return to “Transfers”