Is it really worth to transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it really worth to transfer?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Is it worth transfering to uf/fsu from Barry Law School, knowing that I will not be a part of law review and will lose my top 6% rank if i transfer?

stillwater

Re: Is it really worth to transfer?

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it worth transfering to uf/fsu from Barry Law School, knowing that I will not be a part of law review and will lose my top 6% rank if i transfer?

Given that you currently attend Barry, yes.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:17 pm

The correct answer is to obtain a time machine, go back to this time last year, and retake the LSAT.

However, given we're unlikely to advance that far in technology before you have to apply for transfer, I would probably blanket the T25.

ND had a transfer from Barry a couple of years back, but I think he was #1 or 2 in his class. Not sure though.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:55 pm

What about OCI? How do transfers really do at OCI? Any better than they'd do at OCI at their 1L school?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:01 pm

I would transfer.

Congrats on your grades.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:03 pm

the name on that big piece of paper is more important than the subtitle Law Review .

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:34 pm

manofjustice wrote:What about OCI? How do transfers really do at OCI? Any better than they'd do at OCI at their 1L school?

This question cannot be answered.

InSport

Postby InSport » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Uncle.Joe wrote:
manofjustice wrote:What about OCI? How do transfers really do at OCI? Any better than they'd do at OCI at their 1L school?

Generally speaking, students that transfer into the T14 do well in OCI. From what I understand, employers see transfer students as hardworking and ambitious (e.g. worked really hard 1L year, took the leap to transfer in the middle of law school). Those are two very important qualities. I transferred to a NYC T4-6 and all the transfer students I know that were looking for big law landed jobs during OCI.

But, it's important to consider the school. Some law schools do not do a very good job of accommodating transfer students during OCI, so there can be a bunch of missed opportunities.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 pm

InSport wrote:
Uncle.Joe wrote:

NYC T4-6.

I really like this distinction. My point was that you don't know if transfers would fare better than they would at old schools. OCI is heavily dependent on personality as well as stats. Presumably transfers would have had a high likelihood of landing something at their old schools because of their stats. But, you don't know if it would be a better firm/location/etc. since they did not go through the process.

Additionally, if they landed the same type of job they would have gotten transfers are now 100k in the hole.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Uncle.Joe wrote:My point was that you don't know if transfers would fare better than they would at old schools.
Take a look at the # (and quality) of the opportunities coming to campus for OCI. A good shot at a school with 25 employers with 10 screener slots each is not the same as a good shot at a school with 250 employers and 20 screener slots each.

If OP is not excited by any of the prospects that come to Barry, but likes the looks of the opportunities at the transfer up schools, the transfer could be worth it because at least there's a chance.

This ignores mass mailing and general hustling. But the variables on that are too great to make even generalized speculation, as I've done above.

Return to “Transfers”