Second semester wild card?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Second semester wild card?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 am

I just got my fall grades from a lower-ranked T-14 school and was excited to see I got As and an A+. I would love to transfer to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia or NYU, but because moving to one of these places would be a pretty big hassle for my fiancee (she's trying to pick a state to study for the bar now), I don't want to really set my sights on transferring unless there is a very real shot I could make it into one of these schools. Does someone have a sense as to how likely me getting into one of these schools would be, or does everything hang on second semester?

Also, I understand some law schools treat an A+ as a 4.3 and others as a 4.0. When calculating GPAs for transfer applicants, do schools use their own weighting or rely on what the school that gave the grade assigned to it?

Thanks in advance.

Uncle.Joe

Re: Second semester wild card?

Postby Uncle.Joe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 am

Your anonymous, share your GPA and preferably class rank. Class rank is what matters.

Assuming your at or above a 4.0 with a repeat your very close to a lock for H. Also, why would you not apply without being sure you would gain entrance? Really not that costly or time consuming.

sgsmith

Postby sgsmith » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:56 am

I assume I'm first? GPA is 4.0 (unless other schools would re-calculate it with the A+). Top 10% at my school is historically under 3.8, so let's say I fall to there after next semester. I just don't want to disrupt my fiancee's life if it's gonna be a crap shoot.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Why would the school you pick affect her bar state? I assume you're both planning to practice in the same jurisdiction after graduation - does she have to move to school with you? It seems pretty short-sighted to take the bar in the state you're going to school rather than, say, where she wants to practice long-term. Where were you both aiming for before you thought about transferring?

Return to “Transfers”