Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer or Stay

Stay at Temple
6
16%
Transfer to Penn
32
84%
 
Total votes: 38

User avatar
Frm312
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby Frm312 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 pm

So I know it might be premature to start making this decision, but I ended up with a 4.0 my first semester at Temple and based on what I've read on this forum (assuming I dont screw up second semester) I should have a solid shot at Transferring into Penn.

I plan on staying in the Philadelphia area, so idk if itd be worth the extra 100k in debt for me to transfer. Does anyone have any insight into the long-term benefits of having Penn Law on my resume instead of Temple? I'm pretty certain that I would have the same first job options within philly if I stick with Temple and stay at the top of my class, so i'm looking for another reason to justify the extra debt.

Also, how hard is it to make the transfer? If I stay in the top 1% is it a shoe-in or more like 50/50?

thanks

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Doesn't seem like it if you just want Philly biglaw.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:41 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Doesn't seem like it if you just want Philly biglaw.

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby Nammertat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Based on the yahoo database, you should have a very real chance of getting into Penn... Having said that, the decision isn't Penn vs. Temple... the decision is really Penn @ sticker vs. Temple after you negotiate for a very large scholarship, if not full tuition.

If you're serious about wanting to stay in Philly, and you're okay with mid-law to start, Temple makes a lot of sense. IF on the other hand you're set on Big-law and would be interested in possibly working in NYC/DC or elsewhere, the mobility of Penn would begin to play a larger role.

Either way- you have to wait to wait till after spring grades to make these decisions. I think you absolutely will need to put in the apps, if for nothing else but negotiating power.

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 pm

0L so not qualified in any way but I am curious about this situation. If the OP were interested in a clerkship would that change his decision to transfer or is it the same as big law in that, at the top of his class, OP will have good pickings at big law and clerkship opportunities in (and only in?) the Philly area?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Nickg415 wrote:0L so not qualified in any way but I am curious about this situation. If the OP were interested in a clerkship would that change his decision to transfer or is it the same as big law in that, at the top of his class, OP will have good pickings at big law and clerkship opportunities in (and only in?) the Philly area?


Should be able to get at least a District clerkship w/ a 4.0 from Temple.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby Wholigan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:If you're serious about wanting to stay in Philly, and you're okay with mid-law to start, Temple makes a lot of sense. IF on the other hand you're set on Big-law and would be interested in possibly working in NYC/DC or elsewhere, the mobility of Penn would begin to play a larger role.


This is incorrect. Every big law firm in Philadelphia that would consider a Penn transfer student would give a top 5% Temple student with the right ties the same or more consideration. I believe that some of the firms prefer to pull from the top of the class at Temple because they know the person is more likely to accept the offer and not decide to take a job in NY or DC instead.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

It is definitely not worth transferring to Penn from Temple if you are top 1%. You will get biglaw in Philly, no question, 100k is nothing to sneeze at, and the top 1% probably could put you in play for some clerking gigs if you want them. Hell, I would think top 1% at Temple might even allow some hail mary apps thrown to firms outside of Philly to get through.

hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby hds2388 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Frm312 wrote:So I know it might be premature to start making this decision, but I ended up with a 4.0 my first semester at Temple and based on what I've read on this forum (assuming I dont screw up second semester) I should have a solid shot at Transferring into Penn.

I plan on staying in the Philadelphia area, so idk if itd be worth the extra 100k in debt for me to transfer. Does anyone have any insight into the long-term benefits of having Penn Law on my resume instead of Temple? I'm pretty certain that I would have the same first job options within philly if I stick with Temple and stay at the top of my class, so i'm looking for another reason to justify the extra debt.

Also, how hard is it to make the transfer? If I stay in the top 1% is it a shoe-in or more like 50/50?

thanks


If you stay at or near the same rank, you'll get in as a transfer for sure.

That said, I think I agree with most people that it's unnecessary for you to bother. You'll get a philly firm to take a chance on you (with the right interviewing skills of course). That said, if you ever have aspirations of getting out of Philly, a Penn degree is more mobile. Further, it might be a good hedge against a crappy set of interviews, because you'll also have more NYC/DC firms willing to take a look at you. I disagree with the argument that you would get MORE consideration being from temple, but given what you want, it seems like it would be a wise choice to stay. I transferred to Penn because I wanted it to look like I wanted to be in Philly (and, ironically, ended up choosing NYC -- though I did have a couple of Philly offers). You don't have that same problem because you're already here. Enjoy the good grades and congrats either way!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Wholigan wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If you're serious about wanting to stay in Philly, and you're okay with mid-law to start, Temple makes a lot of sense. IF on the other hand you're set on Big-law and would be interested in possibly working in NYC/DC or elsewhere, the mobility of Penn would begin to play a larger role.


This is incorrect. Every big law firm in Philadelphia that would consider a Penn transfer student would give a top 5% Temple student with the right ties the same or more consideration. I believe that some of the firms prefer to pull from the top of the class at Temple because they know the person is more likely to accept the offer and not decide to take a job in NY or DC instead.


Quoting fail, Rad would never say that.

But otherwise, this is correct.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 am

Agreed with Wholigan. Stay at Temple since you want Philly BigLaw and are in an excellent position to get it (and probably have your pick of firms). Right now things you should focus on are applying to 1L firms jobs in Philly (and USAO/company GC's/etc.), setting up informational interviews with Temple alumni at Philly BigLaw firms (or other firms you're interested in), going to every firm reception possible and learning about the firm, and working as much as possible on your interview skills so you can own it come OCI.

User avatar
Frm312
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby Frm312 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for all the input. From everything everyone is saying here and from talkign to some of my philly connections, it does seem that I would be fine staying at Temple and avoiding the extra debt. The only other factor that is that I am also considering the Wilmington Delaware market, particularly Skadden, so I'm wondering if my Temple degree could get me in the door there

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 am

Just out of curiosity, why are people voting in the complete opposite direction of the answers in this thread? Is it just because of the preftige of transferring?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Just out of curiosity, why are people voting in the complete opposite direction of the answers in this thread? Is it just because of the preftige of transferring?


I think the votes usually go in favor of transferring due to preftige and people who don't have actual transfer experience voting. But in OP's case, it doesn't make that much sense since he doesn't seem to want to transfer and wants to stay in Philly (or possibly Wilmington, but I don't know if a Penn transfer will help there either).

Personally, I think transferring most helps people who are not a lock to get BigLaw and want it (think top 4-6% at T2's; top 10-15% at T1's, etc.) or people who want to work in a major market where your school doesn't really send people to (or a combination of the two) or people who want to go "home". Taking on additional debt to end up in the same job as you would've had at your old school seems kind of dumb to me.

hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby hds2388 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Frm312 wrote:Thanks for all the input. From everything everyone is saying here and from talkign to some of my philly connections, it does seem that I would be fine staying at Temple and avoiding the extra debt. The only other factor that is that I am also considering the Wilmington Delaware market, particularly Skadden, so I'm wondering if my Temple degree could get me in the door there



You can get an offer there from temple. I had an offer there from Penn, but interviewed with people from a wide range and rank of schools.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28094
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Frm312 wrote:Thanks for all the input. From everything everyone is saying here and from talkign to some of my philly connections, it does seem that I would be fine staying at Temple and avoiding the extra debt. The only other factor that is that I am also considering the Wilmington Delaware market, particularly Skadden, so I'm wondering if my Temple degree could get me in the door there


I personally know a good student at Temple who will be working at Skadden in Delaware this year.

ETA: And he didn't have any real connections there either.

User avatar
Frm312
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby Frm312 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Kronk wrote:
Frm312 wrote:Thanks for all the input. From everything everyone is saying here and from talkign to some of my philly connections, it does seem that I would be fine staying at Temple and avoiding the extra debt. The only other factor that is that I am also considering the Wilmington Delaware market, particularly Skadden, so I'm wondering if my Temple degree could get me in the door there


I personally know a good student at Temple who will be working at Skadden in Delaware this year.

ETA: And he didn't have any real connections there either.


That's really good to know, thanks for the input

ohvai
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:04 am

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby ohvai » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm in a similar situation (no rankings available, but probably top 5%). I'm not sure if I would go through with a transfer, but I was wondering if Temple is open to negotiating scholarships for top students who want to transfers. I've had an awful experience with negotiating their scholarship offer during the admissions process, although I had similar offers from T30 schools. Did anyone have experience with negotiating scholarships with Temple after their 1L?

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Reading through the OCI threads, wasn't Philly a slaughter for most people this year? I would assume the boost would help.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28094
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Is it worth transferring from Temple to Penn?

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Reading through the OCI threads, wasn't Philly a slaughter for most people this year? I would assume the boost would help.


I am guessing being in the top 5 students of your respectable regional law school would help a lot more.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.