Second year part-time, 37 hours- too many to transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Second year part-time, 37 hours- too many to transfer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Like the title says, I'm a second year student in a part-time program. The program is set up so that the 1L curriculum (31 hours) takes two years to finish. However, we also take 6 hours of upper level courses in our second year- Con Law and an elective. After Spring semester I'll have 37 hours altogether.

I am wondering if I will be barred from transferring because I have too many hours. A lot of schools have a stated maximum of 32ish hours. It's not clear whether that means:

A. The school will not consider admitting someone >32 hours, OR
B. The school will let you transfer but you lose any additional hours

I'm looking generally at T14 schools and more specifically at Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia. I was told by Columbia that it would be okay but I would lose the extra credits. But then I read where someone here was told it was not allowed. Do any of you know of anyone who was able to transfer after two years in a part-time program? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

patrickd139

Re: Second year part-time, 37 hours- too many to transfer?

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:04 pm

This is definitely a question that will vary from school to school depending on their transfer policies. There is absolutely zero downside to calling the admissions office and asking the question, as long as you're polite and professional in doing so.

Return to “Transfers”