Transferring Without Second Semester Legal Writing Course?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WSH

Transferring Without Second Semester Legal Writing Course?

Postby WSH » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:31 am

I'm in the top 10% at a T100 school. I'm looking to transfer into the T15-30 at the end of this semester.

Due to some health issues, I missed some classes in my second semester legal writing class. The professor has been very understanding, but due to some other flukes, and without further detail, I now have to decide whether to withdraw from that class or risk receiving a poor grade. Other professors have been understanding as well, and I'm at no risk of performing poorly in those classes.

My questions are: 1. How will schools receive my withdrawal from the legal writing class when making transfer decisions?
2. Whether you would advise me to remain enrolled in the class, assume the almost certain poor grade, or withdrawal?

Thank you much.

WH

Edit: I should have noted that our particular 1L writing program consists of a first semester P/F course and a separate, graded second semester course.

cinephile

Re: Transferring Without Second Semester Legal Writing Course?

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:02 am

Sounds like you may have to retake legal writing with next year's 1Ls if you transfer

WSH

Postby WSH » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:50 am

cinephile wrote:Sounds like you may have to retake legal writing with next year's 1Ls if you transfer

Thanks for your response.

Would a school allow me to transfer under that condition? I find it hard to believe. I imagine for most schools it would cause more problems than I was worth as a transfer student.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:00 pm

As long as you have the minimum credits for transfer and you are competitive grade-wise, then you'll be fine. They will not find it too much trouble to put you into a 1L writing class. I know of a transfer taking 1L legal writing this semester

WSH

Postby WSH » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:12 pm

$peppercorn wrote:As long as you have the minimum credits for transfer and you are competitive grade-wise, then you'll be fine. They will not find it too much trouble to put you into a 1L writing class. I know of a transfer taking 1L legal writing this semester

Thanks! How does that work out with respect to 2L and 3L writing requirements?

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 pm

WSH wrote:
$peppercorn wrote:As long as you have the minimum credits for transfer and you are competitive grade-wise, then you'll be fine. They will not find it too much trouble to put you into a 1L writing class. I know of a transfer taking 1L legal writing this semester

Any upper level writing requirements are typically completed through mandatory journal notes (if you get on a journal) or a Seminar class, where the final is just writing a lengthy paper on the subject of the class. I'm not sure what else you might be talking about.

WSH

Postby WSH » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 pm

$peppercorn wrote:
WSH wrote:

Any upper level writing requirements are typically completed through mandatory journal notes (if you get on a journal) or a Seminar class, where the final is just writing a lengthy paper on the subject of the class. I'm not sure what else you might be talking about.

That works. Would taking 1L writing bar me from writing on to a journal?

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:29 pm

WSH wrote:
$peppercorn wrote:
WSH wrote:

That works. Would taking 1L writing bar me from writing on to a journal?

No. It really would not be that big of a deal. But I would also encourage you to call the schools you might apply to and see what they have to say as well.

WSH

Postby WSH » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:44 pm

$peppercorn wrote:No. It really would not be that big of a deal. But I would also encourage you to call the schools you might apply to and see what they have to say as well.

Absolutely.

You mentioned a transfer taking 1L writing. Mind if I know the school (rank bracket is fine)

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:59 pm

This may not be the same, but legislation is a 1L requirement at BU and not necessarily at other schools. There are tons of 2L transfers taking legislation. I can't see how legal writing would be different (esp. as it's not like a pre-req to anything else).

WSH

Postby WSH » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 pm

cinephile wrote:This may not be the same, but legislation is a 1L requirement at BU and not necessarily at other schools. There are tons of 2L transfers taking legislation. I can't see how legal writing would be different (esp. as it's not like a pre-req to anything else).

A lot of schools have quirky requirements. I just figured 1L writing was a staple that would create a bar to transferring. That said, the fact that you're competitive should imply something about your writing ability, so I can see why (at least some schools) would be accommodating.

I feel a lot better. I'll make some calls tomorrow. Thanks folks.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:37 pm

WSH wrote:
$peppercorn wrote:No. It really would not be that big of a deal. But I would also encourage you to call the schools you might apply to and see what they have to say as well.

Absolutely.

You mentioned a transfer taking 1L writing. Mind if I know the school (rank bracket is fine)

Bracket is top 20. I know some schools only require one semester of legal writing in the first place. That's another reason why I said if you have the minimum credits to transfer you'll be fine.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:44 pm

WSH wrote:
cinephile wrote:This may not be the same, but legislation is a 1L requirement at BU and not necessarily at other schools. There are tons of 2L transfers taking legislation. I can't see how legal writing would be different (esp. as it's not like a pre-req to anything else).

A lot of schools have quirky requirements. I just figured 1L writing was a staple that would create a bar to transferring. That said, the fact that you're competitive should imply something about your writing ability, so I can see why (at least some schools) would be accommodating.

You'd be surprised. My registrar told us that some transfers had to take Civ Pro because they didn't have it their 1L year.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 pm

WSH wrote:

I have a 3L in my writing section who transferred without this portion of LRW. It's really no big deal, and likely gives you a chance to punk 1L's for an easy A+

Return to “Transfers”