Median Pwned first semester - can you still transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median Pwned first semester - can you still transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:06 pm

That's the question. Don't you start planning to transfer before you get your second semester grades? It would just feel like a dud to be median pwned the next semester and to be asking for letters of recs and what not. I'd like to move from a T1 to Berkeley, ideally.

Thanks.

fatduck

Gold

Re: Median Pwned first semester - can you still transfer?

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:14 pm

just apply.

UAX09

New

Post by UAX09 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Transferring from a T50 to Berkeley would require excellent grades. Unless you are incredibly spectacular for some reason, I don't see why Berkeley would take a median applicant at a T50 school over applicants in the top 10% and top 15% from T1 and T2 schools. Heck, even T3 and T4 students want to transfer to Berkeley, and those students are surely in the top 5 top 10%. California has lots of third and fourth tier schools supplying transfer students to Berkeley. If you were median at NYU or Columbia, Berkeley might consider you but not median at a T50.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote: That's the question. Don't you start planning to transfer before you get your second semester grades? It would just feel like a dud to be median pwned the next semester and to be asking for letters of recs and what not. I'd like to move from a T1 to Berkeley, ideally.

Thanks.
It never hurts to try. I got all my transfer LORs written by my 1st semester teachers. That gives them a large buffer period to write them. I doubt they care whether or not you actually end up transferring.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 am

Is it possible? Yes. Likely? No.

Blow your second semester out of the water (4.0 or better) and you'll receive strong consideration. From there on down, your chances decrease proportionally. If you're still median after 1L, you're almost certainly just throwing away money and wasting your professors' time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 pm

You're gonna have to get straight A's second semester.

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am

shock259 wrote:You're gonna have to get straight A's second semester.
+1, but adding that you shouldn't bank on it even then. Good luck, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”