Hofstra to Fordham? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hofstra to Fordham?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Would it be worth it to throw away a great scholarship to transfer in to Fordham or do you think I should stay put?

In at least top 15% right now. If I have a better second semester I will try for Columbia and NYU, but I realize those are more long shots.

TFR

Bronze

Re: Hofstra to Fordham?

Post by TFR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 am

At this point u prob have a decent shot at fordham, but they dont let transfers participate in oci, so it wouldnt make sense to transfer.

to get into CLS/NYU, you would need to make it to like top 3 percent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:06 pm

I was on Fordham's site and they say you can't participate in the early interview week, but you can participate in the "Fall Weeks."

Does the early interview week = OCI?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am

early interview week is where firms come to interview for summer associates, so if you are looking for a summer job from which you have a good chance of getting a permanent offer, you want early interview week

fall OCI will have like DA's offices, Legal Aid, maybe some smaller firms who may or may not give permanent offers, but if you miss out on early interview week, there is very little point to transferring. it is very disingenuous for fordham's website to make it sound like getting to participate in "fall weeks" is something a transfer should want. since you are top 15% at Hofstra, you would probably get some interviews at Hofstra's OCI, which will be much sparser than Fordham's, but at least you will get to talk to some people who might give you a permanent offer down-the-line. you'd need to improve your class rank to make your chances more likely that you either get into a school that allows transfer to participate in early OCI (CLS and NYU allow this) or that you will get something through Hofstra's OCI.

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Fordham Fall Weeks includes resume collect for ~30 big firms and they do call back, and also ~20-30 midlaw firms many of which pay market especially the IP firms. However you actually don't miss EIW completely, your allowed to approach interviewers and grab them during breaks, lunch, and after their day is over for interviews you just don't get to bid, which in reality as a transfer will only result in 5-10 interviews total from the lottery.

If you hustle it can work out for you and from what my Hofstra buddy told me, Hofstra OCI is a real joke so you might as well take a chance. You can find out on symplicity who the interviewers for the next few days are in advance and then go ahead and research them and reach out to them before they come to the school to set up some interviews if you want.

Just wanted to point out that missing bidding on EIW at Fordham is still likely preferable to Hofstra's OCI...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks everybody. If any Fordham transfers that have gone through this process have any personal stories about the process, that would be great.

I should probably also get the down and dirty scoop on what Hofstra OCI is actually like so I can make a better comparison.

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks everybody. If any Fordham transfers that have gone through this process have any personal stories about the process, that would be great.

I should probably also get the down and dirty scoop on what Hofstra OCI is actually like so I can make a better comparison.
So my buddy from Hofstra is working for the USPTO now, but he said that in his year (2 years ago), about 5 firms went to OCI and the rest were all JAG etc. He said he didn't know anyone who got a firm job without significant connections to the firms. This is all anecdotal though so I'm not sure what its like now. He did tell me that he regretted taking money from Hofstra rather than going to Fordham.

Then again, Fordham OCI is a mixed bag, lots of interviews, but unless you have something other than academics going for you, you need to be at the top of the class for big law still. Its a gamble, more debt for a better shot at more money. That's not a decision someone else can make for you. (I think only about 30% of Fordham is placing into biglaw + clerkship right now, but anyone over median has a shot. Under median and your looking at needing your dad to be a managing partner types of connections).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 pm

So take away is try to get into top 5% this semester and go to a transfer friendly T-14 or network like hell here at Hofstra.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”