Transfer Scam

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NinerFan

Re: Transfer Scam

Postby NinerFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:11 am

UAX09 wrote: Also, Harvard ranks first outside the military academies in the number of Medal of Honor recipients.

Wait, are you including the MoH's they handed out like candy in the Civil War?

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:15 am

--ImageRemoved--

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:18 am

dirtrida2 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

My god, what have I done? From the first page to the first page, brought rudely back to life after 5-6 days of death. My bad.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:30 am

NinerFan wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

My god, what have I done? From the first page to the first page, brought rudely back to life after 5-6 days of death. My bad.

--ImageRemoved--

Sorry bro, I just like busting out the memes/gifs at 3am - I hate my sleep schedule :roll:

UAX09

Postby UAX09 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:22 am

NinerFan wrote:
UAX09 wrote: Also, Harvard ranks first outside the military academies in the number of Medal of Honor recipients.

Wait, are you including the MoH's they handed out like candy in the Civil War?

A lot of those MOHs were earned after the Civil War. I wonder how Harvard alumni obtained the largest share of MOHs if those medals were so widely available? You do remember that there were quite a few wars between the Civil War and the Vietnam War, right? After Vietnam, it became uncool for students from affluent backgrounds to serve in the military. The trend is much different in Europe where more people serve and those who serve come from elite backgrounds. If you think medals are handed out like candy during the Civil War, you should see compare the current trend to that of previous wars.

transferred83

Postby transferred83 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:26 pm

UAX09 wrote:Sheffield, your example is accurate. Schools have always accepted transfer students as a way to obtain excellent students without being negatively affected by their LSAT and GPA scores.

The competition to transfer at T14 schools will only increase as students try to transfer to those schools. The supply for transfer spots will likely remain stagnant at T14 will likely remain constant but the demand will increase, hence the increased competition. Schools like Georgetown could in theory decrease 1L class sizes by two hundred students or more to obtain Harvard level LSAT scores and mitigate the decreased 1L revenue by accepting two hundred transfers. However, that would not be in Georgetown's best interest to accept below median transfers as obtaining employment is much harder for below median students.

Also, the elite T14 schools are usually ridiculously rich with 5 billion dollar plus endowments. Georgetown needs the transfers since it is a poor school among the T14. Schools which have large endowments will improve in this economy. They can keep standards the same without worrying about revenue.

The bottom line is if you are a top student, transferring is always an option. If you are around median or below median, don't expect transferring to be much easier this cycle. It doesn't make sense for any school to admit median transfer students when it will hurt them in terms of job placement.

Completely agree that the demand will increase at T14 but that these schools will not suddenly lower their standards. However, yes, all the elite schools are ridiculously rich. They all have parents with large endowments. In terms of the actual law school endowments, GULC has a higher endowment than both Cornell Law and Penn Law. That said, I'm sure the reverse is true for the parent institutions.

You are correct that if you are a top student, transferring is an option. In that sense, it is easy. However, for a 1L or 0L sitting at home, that is the only easy part. The hard part is becoming the top student. So in that sense, transferring is hard because a number of things need to go right for you to get there.

It is also worth noting the distinction between the T14 and T25. First, yes a Hofstra student in the top 25% could get into Fordham, but the difference between Fordham and NYU is huge in terms of employment and EIW. GW and GULC fall into the same discussion, although the employment stats may be closer. It's important to note how these schools conduct their EIW programs. The T14 uses a lottery system in which students bid for interviews and screening interviews are allocated based on popularity. (This includes GULC for those of you who like to move down to the T12 or T10 distinction). Schools below the T14 typically use the pre-select method or a combination of 70% preselect and 30% lottery (I believe ND uses lotto). Consequently, if you are at T14, you are guaranteed a number of screening interviews, even if you way below median. If you are at, say GW, you have to submit your resume and qualifications to the firms you are interested in and they decide whether to interview you. As a transfer, that might work against you because you may bid on all the firms that want nothing to do with transfers. Then you get no OCI interviews, which probably isn't all too different from the position you would be in had you stayed at your previous institution. On the flip side, if you are a transfer at GULC, you are guaranteed a screening interview and most people get anywhere from 10 to 20. You might get the transfer unfriendly firms, but at least you have the opportunity to interview and maybe change that perception. Based on this, I'd say a T14 is worth a try, but transfers should approach those just outside with some caution.

Return to “Transfers”