Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby Nammertat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm really torn on whether or not to apply to Chicago Binding ED.... Any thoughts?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13591
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Nammertat wrote:I'm really torn on whether or not to apply to Chicago Binding ED.... Any thoughts?

Where do you want to live post-grad? Are you interested in academia or clerking at all?

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby Nammertat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Nammertat wrote:I'm really torn on whether or not to apply to Chicago Binding ED.... Any thoughts?

Where do you want to live post-grad? Are you interested in academia or clerking at all?


I want to live either in DC or SF, and I do have an interest in possibly clerking.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13591
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Nammertat wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Nammertat wrote:I'm really torn on whether or not to apply to Chicago Binding ED.... Any thoughts?

Where do you want to live post-grad? Are you interested in academia or clerking at all?


I want to live either in DC or SF, and I do have an interest in possibly clerking.

if you wanna live in DC, then the smart move is to stay there. Your smartest move may be staying at GW if you stay up at the top after this semester.

cts2012
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 am

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby cts2012 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:18 pm

OP, we have the same (+/-.05) GPA at the same school, although I'm not interested in IP. Any idea what your chances are ED at Chicago? I'm debating the same thing right now. In general, assuming someone is accepted to Chicago ED, what are the requirements for 2nd semester grades?

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby Nammertat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 pm

cts2012 wrote:OP, we have the same (+/-.05) GPA at the same school, although I'm not interested in IP. Any idea what your chances are ED at Chicago? I'm debating the same thing right now. In general, assuming someone is accepted to Chicago ED, what are the requirements for 2nd semester grades?


From the research / conversations I've had with people who have successfully done this in the past, a 3.66666+ gives you ~50/50 shot at ED, with tie breakers going to work experience / resume. Their website says that applicants must maintain grades, but the general knowledge base says that nobody ever actually has offers rescinded even if they fall to median. (hence the value of an ED)

mlblaw
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby mlblaw » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm

/
Last edited by mlblaw on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby Nammertat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:50 pm

mlblaw wrote:If 3.667+ is 50-50 are there any marginal increases in probably going up the GPA range? I am at OP's school with a 3.75-3.8.

Is the 50% chance at Chicago for ED or deferred and then RD?


The 50/50 I was talking about referred to ED. Those #'s go up for RD. With you sitting in the high 3.7's, you should have a VERY good shot at Chicago even ED. I ultimately decided against Chicago ED to keep my dreams of HYS/B alive following Spring grades.

I'm still putting in my GULC app to see what happens. Does anyone have additional thoughts on my ED chances?

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Are you qualified to sit for the patent bar? Did you already take the exam? If you can't write 'qualified for to take the patent bar' on your resume, I think the IP boost decreases a lot. Top 15% at GW should still have a good shot at big law, I think.

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Top 15% @ T20 to HYS/CCN/B- What are my chances?

Postby Nammertat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:Are you qualified to sit for the patent bar? Did you already take the exam? If you can't write 'qualified for to take the patent bar' on your resume, I think the IP boost decreases a lot. Top 15% at GW should still have a good shot at big law, I think.


I am NOT patent bar eligible, and it has definitely been an uphill battle to break into the IP market. My hope is that I can stay in the top 15% and get enough OCI bids to get past it. Having said that, the GULC OCI may be more friendly to general litigation BigLaw.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.