T14 -> HYS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T14 -> HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:37 pm

above a 4.0 GPA after first semester 1L grades at MVP

what are my chances at HYS? CCN?

is it even worth it to transfer? i'm paying sticker at MVP.

mephistopheles

Re: T14 -> HYS

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:43 pm

this is where you apply, see what happens, and if you're in, go or negotiate for money from your school.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:56 pm

What are you 0L metrics. They'll be relevant at HYS even when transferring.

Mod: User was banned for being a 1L giving advice in the Transfer forum.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am

Bro, stop. They are widely acknowledged as having little import, especially at Harvard.
Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am

CCN would be a pointless move unless you want to be in one of those cities for personal reasons. Even HYS isn't necessarily worthwhile unless you have a big interest in academia. At over a 4.0 at MVP, you already have all the opportunities that those schools offer.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 am

dixon02 wrote:CCN would be a pointless move unless you want to be in one of those cities for personal reasons. Even HYS isn't necessarily worthwhile unless you have a big interest in academia. At over a 4.0 at MVP, you already have all the opportunities that those schools offer.

yeah, but even if he doesn't want to go he can try and negotiate for money. he's at sticker right now.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 am

You should also take into account the fact that HYS gives need based aid. Could end up cheaper than your school is now.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:36 am

Does MVP even negotiate tuition for prospective transfer students? I didn't think that they did. If not, HYS with need based aid could be cheaper. But if you lose law review in the process (which you very well might, particularly if it's not Y), that's a pretty big loss. People say you lose your relationships with your profs too; although, that was not my experience in transferring. (My 1L legal research and writing prof wrote me a pretty stunning LOR for clerkship apps, and I still keep in touch with her.) Personally, I would not transfer unless you somehow don't get onto law review at your current school and would be saving money on cost of attendance by transferring to HYS.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:Does MVP even negotiate tuition for prospective transfer students? I didn't think that they did. If not, HYS with need based aid could be cheaper. But if you lose law review in the process (which you very well might, particularly if it's not Y), that's a pretty big loss. People say you lose your relationships with your profs too; although, that was not my experience in transferring. (My 1L legal research and writing prof wrote me a pretty stunning LOR for clerkship apps, and I still keep in touch with her.) Personally, I would not transfer unless you somehow don't get onto law review at your current school and would be saving money on cost of attendance by transferring to HYS.
I agree with this. CCN, IMO, would not be worth the transfer unless you had personal reasons to be in those cities. If you make LR at your current school the question becomes how much money would it take (in need-based aid) to give that up. Tough call. However, you still have to maintain your grades this semester (or close to it), apply, and get accepted. Once you acknowledge that CCN is not worth it (specifically Chicago ED), the only thing you can do now is play it out and see what happens.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:above a 4.0 GPA after first semester 1L grades at MVP

what are my chances at HYS? CCN?

is it even worth it to transfer? i'm paying sticker at MVP.

I had the same grades at a school just outside the T-14. I only applied to Columbia and Harvard. I got into both. However, I chose to remain at my current school, because I didn't think H would really improve my job/career prospects by much. The only firm at which my school doesn't place students is wachtell.

I think you're a lock for one of HYS. If I were you, I'd try to leverage a transfer acceptance into more money. Unless you want academia (or maybe govt, but I'm not too familiar with that world), I doubt HYS will get you something that top 5% at MVP wouldn't. If anything, you'd be losing prof. relationships for clerkship recommendations.

Return to “Transfers”