to ED or not to ED

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

to ED or not to ED

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:14 pm

so i received my first semester grades. i am sitting with a 4.06 at BU/BC. i am pondering playing the transfer game. would EDing to Chicago make sense or should i roll the dice w continued success and try for H. i want to insulate myself as much as possible from the economy (i know its not totally possible). i am not beholden to a given locale. want best job i can get. scholarship isnt an issue.

Lasers

Re: to ED or not to ED

Postby Lasers » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so i received my first semester grades. i am sitting with a 4.06 at BU/BC. i am pondering playing the transfer game. would EDing to Chicago make sense or should i roll the dice w continued success and try for H. i want to insulate myself as much as possible from the economy (i know its not totally possible). i am not beholden to a given locale. want best job i can get. scholarship isnt an issue.

is there a nonbinding option? if so...why the hell not?

if no nonbinding, i might not unless i want chicago. if you don't drop (much) second semester, you have a shot at HYS.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:23 pm

PM me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 am

OP here, I would be interested also in what my chances are at UChicago ED. If anyone with any expertise knows, the info would be greatly welcomed.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:00 am

I have no insight to offer, but the Yahoo transfer group could probably give you a good idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:03 am

link? or how to find it?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:04 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:36 am

thanks brother. i didnt really see any statistical information to give me a good sense one way or another.

quiver

Postby quiver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 am

Very good shot at Chicago ED (they like to draw from T1s and you obviously have a stellar GPA). I wouldn't do it though. There's a reason why YSH are a tier above CCN and, if you can maintain your grades, you have a good shot at YSH (probably a very good shot at H).

Frm312

Postby Frm312 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm having the same dilemma. I just got a 4.0 at a T60, so i'm trying to figure out if i should apply to Chicago ED or try to do just as well this semester and shoot for HYS. How high does my class rank have to be at a T60 to get a spot at HYS? Since I'm at a mid-T2, I'm leaning towards applying ED for Chicago because I probably won't be able to get into a better school anyway.

Thoughts?

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Frm312 wrote:I'm having the same dilemma. I just got a 4.0 at a T60, so i'm trying to figure out if i should apply to Chicago ED or try to do just as well this semester and shoot for HYS. How high does my class rank have to be at a T60 to get a spot at HYS? Since I'm at a mid-T2, I'm leaning towards applying ED for Chicago because I probably won't be able to get into a better school anyway.

Thoughts?

I'd apply but don't count on getting Chicago ED.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 am

jbiresq wrote:
Frm312 wrote:I'm having the same dilemma. I just got a 4.0 at a T60, so i'm trying to figure out if i should apply to Chicago ED or try to do just as well this semester and shoot for HYS. How high does my class rank have to be at a T60 to get a spot at HYS? Since I'm at a mid-T2, I'm leaning towards applying ED for Chicago because I probably won't be able to get into a better school anyway.

Thoughts?

I'd apply but don't count on getting Chicago ED.

+1. Also, although YHS transfers can probably better speak to it, you're probably not doing better than CLS/NYU from a T2, even with a 4.0. And I'd think whether you transfer or not depends on 1) what your T60 is; 2) whether it's in the market you want to practice; 3) where you want to practice; and 4) whether you have $$$ at your current school or not.

I do think you have a good shot at NYU/Penn and below and probably CLS if you maintain your grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I would be interested also in what my chances are at UChicago ED. If anyone with any expertise knows, the info would be greatly welcomed.

OP here, bumping this after that fine gentleman hijacked my thread.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I would be interested also in what my chances are at UChicago ED. If anyone with any expertise knows, the info would be greatly welcomed.

If you think transfer admissions are a black box Chicago ED is ten times worse. I think you have a good chance but there's no one who can give you anything close to a good answer. If you stick with it and maintain those grades you'll probably get YHS because I know top of the class BU/BC kids do end up there. However, top of the class BU/BC kids will get BigLaw. Your chances of getting a job at Chicago OCI are high but they are not at the level of YHS.

You seem like you want to hedge your bets. If that's the case apply ED. However, if you get admitted and rock this semester you're going to kick yourself because those grades would have gotten you YHS (with the prestige and need aid that brings.) All depends on risk tolerance.

Also, nobody mentions this but look at the school. A lot of people only focus on the fact Chicago has ED and is in the Top 6. That's fine because you go to school to get a job. However, Chicago is a quirky school and I wish I'd looked at that more when I applied. It's certainly not for everyone. And Hyde Park. Ugh.

Frm312

Postby Frm312 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

ha sorry about the hijack

Return to “Transfers”