Is my past going to **** me in the ***?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is my past going to **** me in the ***?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 am

Guys, 6 years ago when I was a freshman in college my RA caught my buddies and I having a good old time in my room, entertaining some ladies and drinking copious amount of Franzia (pink). No police were involved but I was required by the school to take an extremely informative and interesting eight-hour alcohol course early one Saturday morning.

Fortunately, I have cleaned up my act ever since :wink:. I am in the process of attempting to transfer from TT to a T14 (GULC).

Question:
1. Will this affect my chances of admissions? Besides this little hiccup, I'm a pretty decent candidate. 3.9 GPA, ranked 3/151, TT ranked 50-59
2. Should I go into elaborate detail in the Character and Fitness part of the application or just say hey I was young, stupid and regret what I did?
3. Why was I such an idiot when I was 18?

dingbat

Re: Is my past going to **** me in the ***?

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 am

1 - not unless you try to hide it or lie about it
2 - keep it to a minimum
3 - we all were; you just happened to get caught. this attitude is exactly what you should convey

Borg

Postby Borg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:16 am

Mad lib contest: what do the asterisks stand for in the thread title?

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:56 am

I'm confused. I could be wrong but I've never heard of a law school asking about non law enforcement related infractions... This same thing happened to me in undergrad, and it never came up in my law school applications or transfer apps...

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 am

No one could possibly care.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 am

dingbat wrote:1 - not unless you try to hide it or lie about it
2 - keep it to a minimum
3 - we all were; you just happened to get caught. this attitude is exactly what you should convey

No giving advice in the transfer forum, 1L. No matter how much you think it's like a regular admissions question.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:08 am

Borg wrote:Mad lib contest: what do the asterisks stand for in the thread title?

*Schtup* *Gefuzzle*

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:11 am

Borg wrote:Mad lib contest: what do the asterisks stand for in the thread title?

Is this going to "Lance Armstrong" me in the "Lennay Kekua"?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:55 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
2 - keep it to a minimum

No giving advice in the transfer forum, 1L. No matter how much you think it's like a regular admissions question.

Sorry, didn't notice this was the transfer forum

Borg

Postby Borg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 am

kwais wrote:

I like this - open to interpretation. Most literal is the best: is it going to cheat at bicycling me in the made up girlfriend?

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:53 am

dingbat wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
2 - keep it to a minimum

You're a 1L at Fordham? And you're dishing out advice on biglaw? Haha, these boards are great.

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 pm

exitoptions wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
2 - keep it to a minimum

You're a 1L at Fordham? And you're dishing out advice on biglaw? Haha, these boards are great.

why this comment? the thread is about transferring, not biglaw. you have much in common with a douche

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 pm

kwais wrote:
why this comment? the thread is about transferring, not biglaw. you have much in common with a douche

Yes, because this comment adds value...

kwais wrote:

Edit: To be helpful OP no one cares what you did freshman year, just disclose it. I know a guy who transfered with a DUI during 1L.
Last edited by exitoptions on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Only if your past is a man of an alternative persuasion who doesn't obey the law...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Guys, thanks for all the advice. So the conclusion I am getting is that my past is not going to cheat at bicycling me in the fake girlfriend. Awesome, I'll drink to that.

Borg

Postby Borg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guys, thanks for all the advice. So the conclusion I am getting is that my past is not going to cheat at bicycling me in the fake girlfriend. Awesome, I'll drink to that.

Yes, I think you are correct. I know people in law school who have actually been arrested before for things like public urination, drug possession etc., so you'll be okay. I would be surprised if this cheat at bicyclings you in the fake girlfriend.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guys, 6 years ago when I was a freshman in college my RA caught my buddies and I having a good old time in my room, entertaining some ladies and drinking copious amount of Franzia (pink). No police were involved but I was required by the school to take an extremely informative and interesting eight-hour alcohol course early one Saturday morning.

Fortunately, I have cleaned up my act ever since :wink:. I am in the process of attempting to transfer from TT to a T14 (GULC).

Question:
1. Will this affect my chances of admissions? Besides this little hiccup, I'm a pretty decent candidate. 3.9 GPA, ranked 3/151, TT ranked 50-59
2. Should I go into elaborate detail in the Character and Fitness part of the application or just say hey I was young, stupid and regret what I did?
3. Why was I such an idiot when I was 18?

1. No. It happened a long time ago and all you were doing was drinking while you were underage. Plenty of applicants disclose this kind of thing because underage drinking is relatively common. Also, it was a loooooong time ago, which helps. No one expects you to be the same person you were at 18.
2. Just mention the date, what the infraction was, the fact that you owned up to your mistake and did exactly what your school asked you to do to address the problem, and say that it was your one and only infraction. This doesn't need to be more than 2-4 sentences long. The shorter, the better.
3. Not sure why you wouldn't want to be drinking and having a good time at 18. Would you really want to look back on your college days and have memories of studying in the library on the weekend? Probably not...that's what law school is for :shock:

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
2 - keep it to a minimum

This was a great comment to read in a Sterling Archer voice

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:22 pm

If your TT didn't care, why would any other law school?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:44 am

I'm not sure you should transfer to GULC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Why shouldn't I try to transfer to GULC? The schools are comparable tuition-wise.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Ah if you're paying sticker at the TT, then that is probably a good move.

Return to “Transfers”