Cornell to Columbia?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cornell to Columbia?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Posting anon, because most people at my school know my username. Finished about top 15% at Cornell and wanted to know what advantages ( if any) there would be to transfer from Cornell to Columbia. Advantages for big law? Advantages for academia?

Anonymous User

Re: Cornell to Columbia?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Original anon poster... I know I have one more semester, but for shits and giggles lets say I stay right about at the 15% mark

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:29 pm

What are your reasons? If you stay Top 15% you're not going to have a hard time finding a job, especially if you land on Law Review. Otherwise, why stomach the extra tuition/COL? If you're at Cornell your only reason to transfer would be to go to HYS.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:43 pm

I know someone who did this because he wanted to do some political work in NYC that he had been involved in before law school. Unless you have a reason to be in NYC, I don't see the point unless you are paying sticker at Cornell and could somehow save money by transferring (I.e. can live at home).

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm

whats the consensus on what it takes to go from Cornell to HYS? top 10%? and top 20% to Columbia or NYU?

i remeber theirs a posting about a guy who was cornell exactly top 10% - anyone know if he got into harvard?

JessNovember

Postby JessNovember » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:47 pm

redsox550 wrote:whats the consensus on what it takes to go from Cornell to HYS? top 10%? and top 20% to Columbia or NYU?

i remeber theirs a posting about a guy who was cornell exactly top 10% - anyone know if he got into harvard?

It's about Top 10% I assume. At that stage transferring is probably not worth it, though, unless you're pretty sure you're going to get a ton of need aid from HYS.

Return to “Transfers”