Rank/Grade Change for Transfers

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
splittermcsplit88

Rank/Grade Change for Transfers

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 am

For those of you who transferred, especially TTT to T14 or T1s, did your rank/grades change substantially? I'm sort of worried that although I am doing well at my current school, I'll be out of the league at T14/T1s. But, I have heard that top students at TTT/TTTT schools do just as well after transferring.

3|ink

Re: Rank/Grade Change for Transfers

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:For those of you who transferred, especially TTT to T14 or T1s, did your rank/grades change substantially? I'm sort of worried that although I am doing well at my current school, I'll be out of the league at T14/T1s. But, I have heard that top students at TTT/TTTT schools do just as well after transferring.

I haven't gotten all of my grades back yet but it's looking like I went down. Transferred from a T1 to a T14.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Xfered from a lower T1 to CLS. So far, it looks like I'll be about median at CLS. That said, I studied WAY less and my grades don't really matter any more. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=192379

Edit: I just got all my grades back finally. I actually ended up in about the top 15-20%. Not too shabby.
Last edited by shock259 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 pm

Is this like the third thread you've made in as many days about class rankings?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm

So you already PMed me this, but your grades/rank will also depend on the classes you take. You're way more likely to be median owned if you take large, curved classes full of gunners like Admin Law. I made the mistake of only taking those classes last semester. If you instead take seminar classes your first semester, you'll end up with a much higher GPA (unless you are the world's worst writer).

Talar

Postby Talar » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:46 pm

I transferred to T14 from a very low ranked school and managed to stay in the top 10%. It's not easy though and you'll have to study pretty hard.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Grades went down because the students here are smarter (knowing the elements alone doesn't get me points anymore, damn) and I care a lot less about killing myself for As. I went from TTTT -> mid T1. I agree with Shock.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Grades went pretty far down for me, but I know a ton of transfers that owned it. Some of it is definitely class selection though.

thelibear

Postby thelibear » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 am

I transferred to a top 20 from a T2. I got the same letter grades as first semester 1L year, but since my new school gives out specific GPAs that correlate with the grade (an A- can be a 3.5, 3.6, or 3.7), I have a slightly lower GPA.

Overall pretty happy.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:24 am

I transferred from a TTT to a T20. Grades have actually improved a bit. Another transfer here transferred from a TT and is set to graduate top 3%.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 pm

i don't think it makes sense to compare 1L and 2L; therefore it's hard to quantify the difference in difficulty between your old and new school.

first off, 2L curves are typically much more generous than 1L curves (depending on course/class size of course).

secondly, at least for me, i literally stopped caring about my grades once 2L started. i estimate i put in probably a third of the effort i did during 1L, which is a pretty dramatic difference.

i tend to think though, that if a transfer actually put in the same amount of effort, they would do well.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Half the effort, same GPA so far. Ultimately, the ranking may be slightly lower due to a higher curve and variable point assignments for letter grades (ex: B+ = 3.5 - 3.3).

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 am

I think Lasers got it right, it's just too hard to quantify the difference.

In addition to the points Lasers made, I would point out what someone else said about classes that attract a lot of people gunning for clerkships (i.e. is disproportionately filled with top students from different 1L sections, like Fed Courts), what others have said about big curved classes vs. non curved classes, difference in the relative amount of units people take, and also just differences in exam schedule. In 1L, your section has the same amount of time between each exam, but that's just not true in 2L. For example, I talked to two people in my last exam and for one of them he had a week between his previous exam and the exam we were taking, and for another person it was the third exam she was taking in three days. Point is that the huge range of possible exam schedules in 2L/3L makes for major disparities in the opportunity that different students have had to actually prepare for the exam.

The only real substantive difference that I know hurts some transfers is that typically, the higher you go in school rank, the more abstract and theoretical of an approach professors will have in treating the course. I've heard that transfers who go from TTTs to T1s sometimes find that there's a major shift in focus from black letter law to policy, and that can be hard. All of that said, there are plenty of stories of people transferring and doing just as well or better at significantly higher ranked schools.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:55 am

I'm surprised how many people ITT mentioned their grades going down. Generally transfers do just as well at their transfer school as their old school (unless you just slack off at your new school). That was my experience (and I went from t3-->t10), and I don't recall anyone from my transfer class having a different experience. During the transfer orientation, the dean explicitly said to not be concerned about grades dropping and mentioned that in the past 10 years there was literally only one transfer at that school who didn't graduate with honors.

Long story short, you'll probably do just as well at your new school if you put in the same effort you did during 1L.

Anonnn

Postby Anonnn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:39 pm

T30 to CCN. Went from top 10% to somewhere between top 1/3rd and median. Not overly concerned, my goal was to have my grades not suck. Didn't put in nearly as much effort as 1L. I can definitely live with this.

Edit: Got my last grade back. Bumped my GPA up enough that I'm pretty sure I'm in top 1/3rd now. Moral of the story: Transfers do fine.

Return to “Transfers”