Class Rank Question

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
splittermcsplit88

Class Rank Question

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:31 pm

If I use the rank given on my website, I'm top 15%. But, I know for a fact that 300 students matriculated (the website only goes down to rank 250). Whether I use 300 or 250 substantially changes my rank. Which one should I use for applying to jobs and schools as a transfer? FYI, my school doesn't give out ranks until the end of the year.

atcushman

Re: Class Rank Question

Postby atcushman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:35 pm

I would use your GPA most law schools dont rank until the end of 1L year, firms know this so if you give them a rank they may know you pretty much just made it up yourself. Firms have a feel for what a GPA equates to at a given school and I dont think its worth them questioning how you came up with your rank.

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm

I'd put "my GPA is X out of 300 students who matriculated, roughly placing me at top 15%." I wouldn't put "my rank is..." Should I not do it? The thing is...when I look at the yahoo transfer group, there's a big difference between top 10% and top 15% transfers :(

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Don't do it - just GPA.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:16 pm

ya sorry just realized this was in transfer thread not employment but same advice. The school (i am assuming ed to GULC or Chi) will have an idea of what gpas they accept from your school and while you may be able to get pretty close guestimating and assigning yourself a class rank is prob not the best way to go. Just put your current gpa the school will know what it means. If you dont get ed they will just hold you for normal transfer cycle and then you will have an official class rank

a11 1n

Postby a11 1n » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:32 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I'd put "my GPA is X out of 300 students who matriculated, roughly placing me at top 15%." I wouldn't put "my rank is..." Should I not do it? The thing is...when I look at the yahoo transfer group, there's a big difference between top 10% and top 15% transfers :(

I agree with the other posters, just leave the rank and percentile out and list your GPA. GULC or U of C will know what to make of your GPA based on their data on previous applicants from your school. Also, what you are proposing sounds clunky for a resume and draws unnecessary attention.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Don't put your rank until you know what it is. However, since the curve is probably the same, use GPA as an indicator to determine where you're at in the class (i.e. if you have a 3.7 and that was top 10% last year, then it's probably also top 10% this year).

Return to “Transfers”