Transferring Up With An Inconsistent Grade?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Spenstar

Transferring Up With An Inconsistent Grade?

Postby Spenstar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:57 pm

I am a 1L in the TTT. My first semester grades have just come in. I received 4 full A's in legal writing (ours is graded), torts, constitutional law, and civil procedure. I was definitely getting excited, but the last grade came in, contracts, and I received a B- (which the "inconsistent" grade I alluded to in the subject). Our school curves to a B, so the grade is below average. I'm going to investigate, request to see the exam, ensure a mistake was not made, all of that, but lets just assume it is what it is.

Even with the blow of the B-, my GPA remains in my school's A- threshold. It's possible that I'll swing top 10%. For sake of discussion, lets just assume that I do.

How are schools going to look at all of those A's marred by a B-? If the B- holds, I think it goes without saying that T14 is out, maybe T1 in general...but do I have any chance at moving upwards at all?

Appreciate your thoughts.

jessuf

Re: Transferring Up With An Inconsistent Grade?

Postby jessuf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:10 pm

You won't get T14, but top 10% could swing T20. I know people who were between top 10% and top 15% from a TTT who swung this.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Jessuf is pretty much right. Just work on staying there and you might swing the top 20. And from my experience, having an outlier grade like you are saying is not that big of a deal in transferring if your overall GPA is competitive. It will not be the B- alone holding you back as much as it will be being top 10% at a TTT.

Spenstar

Postby Spenstar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:03 pm

$peppercorn wrote:Jessuf is pretty much right. Just work on staying there and you might swing the top 20. And from my experience, having an outlier grade like you are saying is not that big of a deal in transferring if your overall GPA is competitive. It will not be the B- alone holding you back as much as it will be being top 10% at a TTT.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't ask the question well due to shock and panic, but yeah, basically a concern that schools would look beyond the GPA and rank to the actual grades. While top 10% is up in the air, I'm not worried about top 15% -- and frankly, I would be just fine with getting into a T50 school. Doesn't sound like that will be a problem. Consider me relieved.

Out of curiosity: I couldn't find an answer on the yahoo app data, but which T20 are going to be most accommodating? I can't believe Minnesota, GWU or Vandy would be open to a 15% TTT'er.

Thank you again.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 pm

They care about your average. Everyone gets a mix of grades 1L year, the makeup of your average isn't going to be a big factor.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:32 am

Top 10-15% will possibly get you GWU or Minnesota. Vandy is a long shot.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:49 am

thesealocust wrote:They care about your average. Everyone gets a mix of grades 1L year, the makeup of your average isn't going to be a big factor.
$peppercorn wrote:Jessuf is pretty much right. Just work on staying there and you might swing the top 20.
Jessuf wrote:You won't get T14, but top 10% could swing T20. I know people who were between top 10% and top 15% from a TTT who swung this.
I agree with the above posters about your chances.
Spenstar wrote:and frankly, I would be just fine with getting into a T50 school. Doesn't sound like that will be a problem. Consider me relieved.
Whether it would actually be worth it to transfer to a T1 or even a Top 20 school is another issue. Come back after you get transfer acceptances to figure this out.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Spenstar wrote:Out of curiosity: I couldn't find an answer on the yahoo app data, but which T20 are going to be most accommodating? I can't believe Minnesota, GWU or Vandy would be open to a 15% TTT'er.

Probably GWU. They have a giant transfer class.

With that said, chances are you will likely strike out at OCI with a top 15% TTT background even at GWU (no offense), so be prepared to consider cost of tuition/COL, markets, leaving friends and/or family behind, etc. My friend transferred to GWU from a TTT and struck out at OCI/mass mailing (targeting NYC/DC/FL), while people with worse ranks than him at the TTT got midlaw and shitlaw SAs in the home market. Think long and hard before deciding to transfer. Whether you will get an SA post-transferring seems to be a bigger crapshoot than the admissions process when you come from T2/T3/T4.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:21 pm

As others have said, your average is basically all that matters.

Also, agree entirely with Jessuf re GWU. You would probably strike out at OCI if you were able to transfer into GWU, so take a long hard look at your career goals before jumping in. Where is your TTT located? How does it do in that market? Where do you want to end up? Etc.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Won't affect your transfer cycle any more than the overall drop in your GPA will.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 pm

I went from TTTT DNR to T1 with all A's and a C in fall writing. Can't speak for T14s, but you should be viable for T1 with those grades.

3L Student

Postby 3L Student » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Yeah, you will not get into a T14 unless you get your GPA up next semester. When transferring, schools care about your overall rank. Nobody in my transfer class landed outside of the top 10% (even those coming from high ranked T1s). And even if they did overlook your GPA, ranking in the bottom half of one of your most important classes, contracts, is bad. For schools, there is a huge difference between landing all As and having that one inconsistent grade. Unfortunately, it's often luck that makes that difference.

Return to “Transfers”