GPA: 4.056 Rank: Top 2% T-4 wanting to transfer to UT/SMU? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
outrageousresipsa

New

GPA: 4.056 Rank: Top 2% T-4 wanting to transfer to UT/SMU?

Post by outrageousresipsa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Hey guys, I got a 4.056, in the top 2%, had a federal judicial internship my first summer, and now am looking to transfer to UT, SMU, Baylor or possibly in the T14?

Also, this is in consideration for Spring transfer. What do yall think the chances are of UT, SMU or anywhere in the t14 that accepts spring transfers?

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: GPA: 4.056 Rank: Top 2% T-4 wanting to transfer to UT/SMU?

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:24 pm

outrageousresipsa wrote:Hey guys, I got a 4.056, in the top 2%, had a federal judicial internship my first summer, and now am looking to transfer to UT, SMU, Baylor or possibly in the T14?

Also, this is in consideration for Spring transfer. What do yall think the chances are of UT, SMU or anywhere in the t14 that accepts spring transfers?
The fuck? Did you take a leave of absence or something?

outrageousresipsa

New

Post by outrageousresipsa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Hah naw, I started as a part timer my first semester

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:49 pm

I am so confused. How are you transferring your 2L year?

outrageousresipsa

New

Post by outrageousresipsa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:00 am

I will only have 30 hrs at the end of this semester...started out as a part timer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:04 am

UT typically doesn't take too many transfers, but that might change since we had a historically low incoming 1L class (300, down from like 380). Basic info is here: http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/transfer/ and I would contact UT's admissions department and ask them if you have more questions.

Gunna4Life

New

Post by Gunna4Life » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:04 am

dont go to a school with the intention of transferring

outrageousresipsa

New

Post by outrageousresipsa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:06 am

Ive already applied to UT, Im just wondering what the heck kind of chance I would have since I will have the correct number of hours, Im applying during the spring, have a 4.056, top 2%, already had a federal judicial internship...I just dont know if they will even consider someone who is coming from a T4

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:31 am

Gunna4Life wrote:dont go to a school with the intention of transferring

It's called reading. Learn to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

outrageousresipsa

New

Post by outrageousresipsa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:34 am

It didn't answer my question, so I would suggest you "learn to read" (starting at the question I have posed at the beginning of the thread) and don't reply if its not going to be beneficial to the thread...With that being said, I definitely did not go to school with the intention of transferring. I didnt get into UT my first time around, and now that I have made the high grades, I want to take a chance at getting in...also SMU is in consideration because I would like to work in the Dallas area.

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:39 am

outrageousresipsa wrote:It didn't answer my question, so I would suggest you "learn to read" (starting at the question I have posed at the beginning of the thread) and don't reply if its not going to be beneficial to the thread...With that being said, I definitely did not go to school with the intention of transferring. I didnt get into UT my first time around, and now that I have made the high grades, I want to take a chance at getting in...also SMU is in consideration because I would like to work in the Dallas area.
I don't think the "learn to read" comment was directed at you, which is why he quoted Gunna4Life who told you not to go to a school with the intention of transferring.

Gunna4Life

New

Post by Gunna4Life » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:40 am

Lawquacious wrote:

It's called reading. Learn to.

outrageousresipsa

New

Post by outrageousresipsa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 am

Haha, my bad...but still...Does anyone have any thoughts on the transfer, which is the subject of this thread?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:24 am

I assume your T4 is in Texas? I'd say you have a really good shot at UT based on your numbers, but I'd be more confident if you were applying during the ordinary transfer cycle.

Edit: Also, check out the link to Transfer Stats in the OP of this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=186555

outrageousresipsa

New

Post by outrageousresipsa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:05 am

Yeah, I am in the Texas Area...if I was applying for transfer during the fall cycle, I would have a lot more options

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:43 am

This thread is full of fail. That said, your chances should be extremely good at SMU and I would say decent at UTexas (in the past they have said you need a "compelling reason" to transfer there, but I imagine if you are from Texas and can write a compelling transfer PS you will have a shot). Then again, your part-time status (evening) may make you less competitive than if you were a regular student, especially if the amount of students you are being compared to is not very large.

Apply to Georgetown, Michigan, and Northwestern if any of them offer spring transfer. The TTTT status of your current school may hurt you in T14, but I think at least Georgetown sometimes accepts TTTT transfers with high GPAs, so you may have the raw numbers and rank to pull it off. You could also target WUSTL and GW, although arguably those schools wouldn't be worth it, especially if you would be giving up a lot of scholly and want to end up near your current school anyway.

Good luck.

outrageousresipsa

New

Post by outrageousresipsa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:49 am

Thank you for the first informative reply yet! really appreciate it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:53 am

outrageousresipsa wrote:Thank you for the first informative reply yet! really appreciate it
No prob, and sorry it took so long for anyone to give you substantive info (which is nevertheless still speculation). I think that part of the non-response is that people don't know for sure--transfer cycles can be unpredictable, and the fact you are an evening student complicates things. But I think you will likely get into SMU and possibly UT. If you can afford it I would send apps out to any T14 school that will accept spring transfers.

outrageousresipsa

New

Post by outrageousresipsa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:56 am

the problem is, Most T14's dont allow spring transfers, and the ones that do offer spring admission are already past the deadline app...so those schools are pretty much out (I really wanted to go to Berkley)

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:57 am

outrageousresipsa wrote:the problem is, Most T14's dont allow spring transfers, and the ones that do offer spring admission are already past the deadline app...so those schools are pretty much out (I really wanted to go to Berkley)
Well, there is your answer--you can only apply to schools that will take your apps. I think you had very little chance at Berkeley anyway, but then again I have heard of them taking TTTT students (or at least I think I have) who are pretty much at the top of the class.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:01 am

Don't go to law school if you can't read

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:58 am

minnbills wrote:
Really? I was always told you shouldn't go to law school if you can't read.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:02 am

3|ink wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Good, because this other guy didn't get that memo

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:06 am

minnbills wrote:
3|ink wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Good, because this other guy didn't get that memo
You didn't see what I did there :(

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:42 am

Lawquacious wrote:
outrageousresipsa wrote:the problem is, Most T14's dont allow spring transfers, and the ones that do offer spring admission are already past the deadline app...so those schools are pretty much out (I really wanted to go to Berkley)
Well, there is your answer--you can only apply to schools that will take your apps. I think you had very little chance at Berkeley anyway, but then again I have heard of them taking TTTT students (or at least I think I have) who are pretty much at the top of the class.
Yeah, at this point just apply to every T14 + UT that takes spring transfers. Would you be willing to wait and apply for the normal transfer cycle? I'm not sure exactly how this would work but I think you'd essentially be giving up all your credits from spring semester if you went that route. Of course, the trade off is that there are a bunch more schools that accept fall transfers. Something worth thinking about.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”