Transferring back to old school

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yikez107

Transferring back to old school

Postby yikez107 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Is this even a possibility?

3 main reasons: tuition, short-term job prospects, social life

I transferred from a state school where I had in-state tuition to a t14. For reasons not worth going into, I'm positive that I could've secured the same summer job if I had stayed at my old school. I also miss my friends a lot. Granted I haven't given my new school much of a chance, but it still sucks when you go from knowing a ton of people to knowing like five.

Has anyone heard of someone doing this or attempted to transfer back yourself? Appreciate any thoughts, too.

Gunna4Life

Re: Transferring back to old school

Postby Gunna4Life » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:11 pm

I think the answer to this question depends all on what summer job and what career prospects you have.

If this is a SA gig with a large firm, I wouldn't transfer back. The firm might not like this.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:20 pm

You can't transfer back that doesn't even make sense.

You made a choice :(

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:33 pm

I know people who have done this. Call your old school and speak to a dean. They will take you back. As for your job - that is something I can't help you with.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Really, how does that work? They just let you back in spring semester?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I believe the ABA guidelines require you to earn 2 of 3 years' worth of credits from your degree-granting school. Your old school might take you back and let you do your third year there, thus letting you graduate from your old school.

However, are you sure your employer will be okay with you downgrading your school? Even if you could've gotten a job there from your old school, it doesn't mean you'll look good to them going back there. It's a very unusual thing to do and it might make them question you.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:17 pm

yikez107 wrote:Is this even a possibility?

3 main reasons: tuition, short-term job prospects, social life

I transferred from a state school where I had in-state tuition to a t14. For reasons not worth going into, I'm positive that I could've secured the same summer job if I had stayed at my old school. I also miss my friends a lot. Granted I haven't given my new school much of a chance, but it still sucks when you go from knowing a ton of people to knowing like five.

Has anyone heard of someone doing this or attempted to transfer back yourself? Appreciate any thoughts, too.

I would ask the old school. Is this your first semester at the new school? If so, and if you are able to transfer back, I would do it as soon as possible (starting next semester). That way it would be like you basically visited somewhere else for one semester.

I kind of doubt this would be a problem with the employer as long as they do (or would) hire from your old school and you continue to perform your duties. But if you are concerned about it I suppose it may not be a bad idea to talk with your boss and lay out the reasons for wanting to go back--you could ask for his honest opinion of whether this would be considered an issue with the firm.

Return to “Transfers”