URM advantage??

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
splittermcsplit88

URM advantage??

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Is there a URM advantage for transfer students? I want to know because some people have seem to transferred with lower grades and I don't want to get any false hopes up.

dietcoke0

Re: URM advantage??

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:06 pm

There's roughly 18 hours of your life that matters to them, not so much where your ancestors were born.

Re: URM advantage??

Postby 20121109 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:21 pm

There is very little, if any, URM boost for transfer admissions.

vanwinkle wrote:As a successful transfer, and someone who has talked to many who have tried transferring, this is what I have to share: The "URM boost" is far weaker for transfer applications than 0L admissions. You need grades that are at least in the ballpark for actually transferring from your current school, URM or not. There isn't a huge URM boost in the transfer process that I'm aware of, so don't count on one being there for you; it might help you stand out and edge out someone else, but it won't make up for anything less than a stellar 1L performance.

Return to “Transfers”