Drop out and go back to a different LS?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sunynp

Re: Drop out and go back to a different LS?

Postby sunynp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:05 am

LAJohn23 wrote:Does anyone have any experience or know anyone that disliked their law school so much that they dropped out about a month in and reapplied and went to another law school the following year? Asking for a friend, of course, who's at a T20 but hates the culture/geographic location of his school and got into several T10s his first application cycle but chose his current school because he got a big scholarship and really liked it when he visited.

A lot of people will say to stick it out for a year and transfer, but for now let's forget about that as an option and stick to the above scenario. Would someone be absolutely crazy to do this? Does anyone have any info on this? Couldn't find much on the forum search (maybe for good reason).

Yes, drop out now. Forget about staying for a year and transferring. Put the money down to experience. Why stay?

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:48 pm

I don't know if I completely understand the rules, but couldn't he just stick it out for the semester and see if his first semester grades would put him in a position to transfer? If he does poorly he could drop out then and reapply. If he does well then he can make the decision then if he still wants to drop out or try and transfer in. Either way he is likely on the hook for this semester's tuition; finishing the semester and taking finals would put him at an advantage when he starts over next fall.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 am

RickyRoe wrote:I don't know if I completely understand the rules, but couldn't he just stick it out for the semester and see if his first semester grades would put him in a position to transfer? If he does poorly he could drop out then and reapply. If he does well then he can make the decision then if he still wants to drop out or try and transfer in. Either way he is likely on the hook for this semester's tuition; finishing the semester and taking finals would put him at an advantage when he starts over next fall.

Law schools would see his 1L grades if he drops out and reapplys. Based on anecdotal evidence, no respectable school would accept him as a re-applicant even with a good LSAT/GPA score if he has horrible 1L grades. However, based on other anecdotal evidence, dropping out early and before grades are released seems to have a negligible effect.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Ok, so what would everyone do in my situation:

I currently attend a TT and my total of COA will be right around 30-40k.

I read over the TLS guides on law school success, GTM, LEEWS, the whole nine years, and I feel very comfortable with material. I have a good amount of it memorized (of what we have covered) and I believe I finally am starting to pull the forest from the trees.

Here is my dilemma: I always thought I could go to a better school. I took the LSAT three times with a 162, 165, 163. However, I was routinely PT in 170+. The first test the nerves got the best of me, I took the second test in Dec and I was suffering from the flu, and the third test I got fucking food poisoning half way through. I told myself I would never compare the answer key with my answers on the last test because I just did not want to know/see the disparity between the first half and the second half. Well, the other night, I was drunk, looked it up, and to my surprise I only got two wrong on the first 50 and then 15+ on the second 50.

My job situation is pretty much guaranteed at a very close family member's 11-20 attorney law firm. The starting pay at the firm is right around 75-80k.

I just always wonder if I should have sucked it up, taken the two years off, and retaken the LSAT again. I wanted to, but I was under extreme pressure from my family and GF to attend law school this year.

I don't dislike the law school I am at. I have great friends here, and like I said I feel relatively comfortable with the material so far.

I am just curious how others would handle themselves in my situation.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm

@ swimmer11...
U went to law school because It was in your hometown market, was a minimal investment and was a ( I'm assuming) very respectable school? If your scholarship is guaranteed, then I woul have don't the same thing.

Do you regret your Choice? Dunno but you will if you play the wonder if game. I you are happy there and like the networking opportunities your school provides then stay and dont think or look back. If you dont then step back and reasses why you made that choice and why you went to law school.

Eta sorry about the grammar/ spelling errors.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Why do people always say they are "asking for a friend?"

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:58 pm

I was asking for myself, and I am sure he was too.

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 pm

I did this, dropped out of one law school in 2010 (about one/two weeks into my first semester) and then returned the following year to a part-time program (dropped out again during the first semester) at a different school. So, I guess it can be done. However, note that both schools were TTT.

May sound odd, but I think I may reapply to law school this fall. If so, then I will reapply to the second school I attended along with a few additional schools. FWIW, I left the first school due to the tuition cost and left the second school due to work commitments that didn't leave much time for law school.

Anyone know of someone who returned to law school after withdrawing - twice?

Return to “Transfers”