Maryland Law. Transferring from top T2 to low/mid T1? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Intranetusa

New

Maryland Law. Transferring from top T2 to low/mid T1?

Post by Intranetusa » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:08 pm

I want to transfer from a rank 58 to a rank 39 (maryland). I'm doing it for personal reasons (family, place to work, etc), since I don't care
that much about the rankings.

1. I heard it was nigh impossible to get a rec letter?

2. Is anyone familiar with "priority transfer" list? How much of an advantage does this confer?

PlessFightsFire

New

Re: Maryland Law. Transferring from top T2 to low/mid T1?

Post by PlessFightsFire » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Rec letters are easy to get as long as you participated during the semester. Your younger profs assuredly went T10 at worst, they know the deal

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:31 pm

You made a thread the other day with pretty much this exact same subject, right?

I don't understand why you don't drop out of Temple now and reapply to Maryland next cycle. The odds of you transferring are incredibly low and you should never go to a law school wanting to transfer. Just wait another year. Don't give everyone all those excuses like you've already moved to Philly and of course you can transfer, blah blah blah. And maybe you shouldn't post in the transfer forum that you're top 30% since you've barely started 1L. You have no idea where in the class you'll end up.

I hope for your sake that you'll decide to leave now, while you still can, and try again. There's no shame in it.

tim.janitor

New

Post by tim.janitor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 pm

hahaha. I think I've read this same thing re-posted three times. So here I go.

As mentioned above, you have no idea what your rank will be. So you're "top 30%, 70 percentile" post from the other thread is a joke.

Hit the books, and stop spending so much time on TLS. Come back in January with your first semester grades, and you can stick them in our faces (but you will still have another semester to go :lol: ). Or it is likely we will never hear from you again.

Every second you spend on TLS creating useless posts is time you will never get back to study/prepare. Your competition isn't wasting their time. Get to studying :D Best of luck.

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:32 pm

pinkcamellia wrote: The odds of you transferring are incredibly low and you should never go to a law school wanting to transfer. Just wait another year. Don't give everyone all those excuses like you've already moved to Philly and of course you can transfer, blah blah blah.
Because I'd prefer not to waste a year doing nothing...and I'm fine with sticking with my current school if I can't transfer anyways.
pinkcamellia wrote: I hope for your sake that you'll decide to leave now, while you still can, and try again. There's no shame in it.
What?
tim.janitor wrote:hahaha. I think I've read this same thing re-posted three times. So here I go.
As mentioned above, you have no idea what your rank will be. So you're "top 30%, 70 percentile" post from the other thread is a joke.
Hit the books, and stop spending so much time on TLS. Come back in January with your first semester grades, and you can stick them in our faces (but you will still have another semester to go :lol: ). Or it is likely we will never hear from you again.
Every second you spend on TLS creating useless posts is time you will never get back to study/prepare. Your competition isn't wasting their time. Get to studying :D Best of luck.

True, I was just thinking on the req. I have no idea how it'll turn out but if I'd still like a rough estimation if possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tim.janitor

New

Post by tim.janitor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 pm

Intranetusa wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote: The odds of you transferring are incredibly low and you should never go to a law school wanting to transfer. Just wait another year. Don't give everyone all those excuses like you've already moved to Philly and of course you can transfer, blah blah blah.
Because I'd prefer not to waste a year doing nothing...and I'm fine with sticking with my current school if I can't transfer anyways.
pinkcamellia wrote: I hope for your sake that you'll decide to leave now, while you still can, and try again. There's no shame in it.
What?
tim.janitor wrote:hahaha. I think I've read this same thing re-posted three times. So here I go.

True, I was just thinking on the req. I have no idea how it'll turn out but if I'd still like a rough estimation if possible.
Okay - go to office hours once a week. Be a nice person, don't be a super competitive law student. Ask about their published articles. Talk to them about missing family back home (but don't say the word transfer). "This school is great and all but he transition has been hard", etc. Set yourself up for great recs

Odds? Hmm. Here is advice, pure speculation.
If you are in the Top 10% - Lock - (90% failure rate*)
If you are in the Top 20% - Likely - (80% failure rate*)
If you are in the Top 30% - Decent Shot - (70% failure rate*)
If you are outside the top 30%, who knows.

*Note the high FAILURE numbers. It might seem like people are jerks on this site, but sometimes if you listen to the advice they are actually trying to help. They can be abrasive though.

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:30 pm

tim.janitor wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:
What?
Okay - go to office hours once a week. Be a nice person, don't be a super competitive law student. Ask about their published articles. Talk to them about missing family back home (but don't say the word transfer). "This school is great and all but he transition has been hard", etc. Set yourself up for great recs
Odds? Hmm. Here is advice, pure speculation.
If you are in the Top 10% - Lock - (90% failure rate*)
If you are in the Top 20% - Likely - (80% failure rate*)
If you are in the Top 30% - Decent Shot - (70% failure rate*)
If you are outside the top 30%, who knows.

*Note the high FAILURE numbers. It might seem like people are jerks on this site, but sometimes if you listen to the advice they are actually trying to help. They can be abrasive though.
Thanks!

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:31 am

Professors put their pants on the same way you do. Just treat them like any other normal person and be pleasant, engaged, and show effort in their topic of study. They'll write you a decent rec letter. If you want a kick-ass one you should get an A.

But +1 to not using law school as a way to not take a year off/hoping to transfer out. Very bad reasons to attend a particular school.

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:12 am

LazinessPerSe wrote:Professors put their pants on the same way you do. Just treat them like any other normal person and be pleasant, engaged, and show effort in their topic of study. They'll write you a decent rec letter. If you want a kick-ass one you should get an A.
But +1 to not using law school as a way to not take a year off/hoping to transfer out. Very bad reasons to attend a particular school.
It's not the only reason. My current school is my #2 choice. If I can transfer into my #1 choice, I should take the chance, no?
I prefer my #1 over my #2 primarily for personal reasons.

If I was going to law school solely for transferring out, I would've attended a T3 with a large scholarship and it'd be easier to get to the top of the class too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:20 pm

No second-week 1Ls in the transfer forum.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:01 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:Professors put their pants on the same way you do. Just treat them like any other normal person and be pleasant, engaged, and show effort in their topic of study. They'll write you a decent rec letter. If you want a kick-ass one you should get an A.

Wait, I thought all profs used button flies???

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=170597
Bildungsroman wrote:No second-week 1Ls in the transfer forum.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Transfers”