24 Hours To Decide on GULC. I believe this is "URGNET".

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
manofjustice

Re: 24 Hours To Decide on GULC. I believe this is "URGNET".

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Pathika wrote:Obvious troll is... obvious. First, it is URGENT, not urgent. Second, Getting an interview from WACHTELL (not Watchtell) from outside of the T-6 is nearly impossible, surely not conceivable from a non-T14.

When someone places a capitalized word in quotation marks, it is incumbent upon you to figure out why. If you cannot figure out why, you should keep thinking.

manofjustice

Re: 24 Hours To Decide on GULC. I believe this is "URGNET".

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:52 pm

BAK123 wrote:Let me say this at the outset.

I absolutely love TLS. I don't know. I think the whole lot of you (aside from the occasional trolls) are some of the most insightful people I've come across on a given subject matter. TLS has created this awesome resource for people struggling with major life decisions and I can't thank you enough for the insight that you've all shared with me.

That being said, I've decided to stay at my current school. I reached out to a ton of people and someone told me that I shouldn't be guided by fear. I think they meant that the fear of not performing as well at Georgetown or the fear of losing what I had achieved at my current school shouldn't deter me from making the jump. I ended up agreeing with the principle (i.e. not being led by fear) but disagreeing with its application. That is, what I feared most wasn't losing the callbacks that I had received (a good number of the callbacks [now at 13] were from people who didn't attend Georgetown and, in fact, some did attend Georgetown so maybe attending their school would have been a slight boost in their eyes) nor did I fear losing the relationships I had established at my current school: the people at my current school are just amazing people that genuinely support you so long as you do what you think is best for you.

What I feared most was the thought of what would happen if I didn't attend Georgetown. I'm not interested in academia but it seems like if you don't attend a T-14, at the very least, you're not going to be too successful at getting a teaching gig. Wouldn't attend Georgetown on the delusional hope of getting a SCOTUS clerkship but it seems like that's just not happening unless you went to a top law school or are conservative and bright enough for Thomas. In this entire law school process, we, on TLS, have just been completely bombarded with "if you don't attend a T-14, you can't do X" and even though I might have no aspiration for X, the thought of foreclosing opportunities just really scared me.

But, when I put that fear aside, I realized how much I loved my current law school and how much its put me in a position to do well. In a somewhat corny sense, I kind of do believe in the old adage of dancing with the person that brought you and maybe hope that by staying and doing well in life, I can give back by contributing to its own prestige.

Whether I had attended Georgetown or remain at my current law school, I ultimately do plan on applying to HKS for an MPP. I'm sure having a better degree on the resume would be a boost in admission but I can only hope now that doing extremely well at my current school will be looked upon as favorably. Thoughts on this are definitely appreciated.

Anyway, thanks, guys. Your advice and encouragement (and absolute lack of trolling in this thread) have genuinely made a difference in the life of a person. It happens all the time around TLS but I'm grateful it has happened to me.

Good, good. Here, here.

Good luck.

Return to “Transfers”