Gtown off the waitlist? Urgent

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lyonsoccer87

Gtown off the waitlist? Urgent

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Stats: T2 80s top 5 law review...etc (south so much harder for big law)

goal: big law, one day work in mid east office perhaps.

I asked if i can participate in OCI in anyway if accepted (no reply yet). Assuming i can't participate in OCI, is there a reason i should still go. My current school is one of the cheapest in the nation considering in state tuition. Also, this is dumb, but i think i would enjoy getting a chance to compete with students at Gtown.

any advice appreciated
Last edited by Lyonsoccer87 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Re: Gtown off the waitlist? Urgnet

Postby jessuf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:45 pm

DON'T GO. You won't be able to participate in EIW or the resume collects. Just Sept. Interview Week, which is tiny, and gov't interviewing. You won't have a journal. It's expensive, and who knows if financial aid is left over this late.

You have a good rank + law review + cheap tuition right now. Sounds like you're in a good position.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:19 pm

I think most GULC students would like to trade places with you.

Other than a more rewarding academic experience, what do you expect to get out of GULC that you will not get for being LR and and honors at your current school?

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:39 pm

The Brainalist wrote:I think most GULC students would like to trade places with you.

Other than a more rewarding academic experience, what do you expect to get out of GULC that you will not get for being LR and and honors at your current school?

Sad but true. If you can't even interview there, what's the point of going to that school? Compete with GULC lawyers when your top graduate status gets you a firm job.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:47 pm

swampthang wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:I think most GULC students would like to trade places with you.

Sad but true. If you can't even interview there, what's the point of going to that school? Compete with GULC lawyers when your top graduate status gets you a firm job.

I appreciate the input. I think the reason I'm considering going is that I have a diverse background and no real connection with the state where my school is located. My family recently moved out of the country and my bro lives in D.C. I'm from the Mid-East and fluent in Arabic so i figure my background/language skills may actual help get a job up north but here it's just a cool talking point. Overall my current school is the safe choice and that's where i'm leaning. TLS is my go-to spot for advice and it always delivers. thanks.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:12 pm

The only thing I can think of where GULC might have an advantage is in Fall and Spring big fed internships (though I'm not sure that they necessarily translate into jobs). If you are considering something like the State department or CIA, an internship would be helpful. Hard to say what the value of an internship would be for hiring. I can't say it will be more valuable than law review. You could probably get that kind of internship for your 2L summer given LR and your grades at your current school.

Also, will you get free living space with your brother?

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:14 pm

URGNET!

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Verity wrote:URGNET!

I thought the typo did a better job of communicating the urgency. It should be meme.

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:20 pm

The Brainalist wrote:

I thought the typo did a better job of communicating the urgency. It should be meme.

damn straight.

Lyonsoccer87

Re: Gtown off the waitlist? Urgent

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Verity wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:

damn straight.

ha yes the typo was intentional...

Return to “Transfers”