Transfer OCI and Grades

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IHaveLawyers

Transfer OCI and Grades

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:13 pm

How do firms look at transfers fit OCI? Will they will at my old GPA and ask for a transcript? Or will my new school somehow let the firms know how I did? The reason I ask I bc I didn't really do very well at my old school but still managed to get into A school that places a lot in big law. How do I play this to my favor? If I don't include a GPA or rank from my old school, will firms just over look me?

fatduck

Re: Transfer OCI and Grades

Postby fatduck » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:14 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:How do firms look at transfers fit OCI? Will they will at my old GPA and ask for a transcript? Or will my new school somehow let the firms know how I did? The reason I ask I bc I didn't really do very well at my old school but still managed to get into A school that places a lot in big law. How do I play this to my favor? If I don't include a GPA or rank from my old school, will firms just over look me?

i suspect they'd be really fucking confused. put your old gpa on your resume, and bring your old transcript to the interviews.

PlessFightsFire

Postby PlessFightsFire » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:33 am

If you transfer to a new region you'll have some trouble because of lack of familiarity. Fordham to NYU wil still kill it in preselects whereas UC Hastings to NYU not so much

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:27 pm

I was told by my transfer school (T10) not to put my 1L GPA on my resume for a few reasons (either explicitly stated or hinted at):

1. New school doesn't release GPAs, so no one else at OCI will have it, and employers will either be confused or more alerted to the fact that "HEY YOUR ARE A TRANSFER D00D"
2. If you transferred here, you're over the GPA cutoff for OCI jobs anyway regardless of what school you came from
3. You'll be able to hand them your transcript in person anyway, so there's no real reason to put it on and let them pre-judge you when you can just go ahead and talk about it in person, highlighting why you're awesome and putting anything negative into context

Near as I can tell, I'd think the general rule would be: If students at your new school put GPAs on their resume, put yours on unless explicitly told not to. If students at your new school don't put GPAs on their resume, don't put yours on unless explicitly told to.

Actually, revised general rule: Ask career services.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:How do firms look at transfers fit OCI? Will they will at my old GPA and ask for a transcript? Or will my new school somehow let the firms know how I did? The reason I ask I bc I didn't really do very well at my old school but still managed to get into A school that places a lot in big law. How do I play this to my favor? If I don't include a GPA or rank from my old school, will firms just over look me?

They will look at your old school and GPA generally. I would bid super conservatively. If you wouldn't have gotten an offer while staying at old school with these firms, probably you won't now. Not trying to be a dick, that's just how I've seen it work typically.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:54 pm

JoeFish wrote:I was told by my transfer school (T10) not to put my 1L GPA on my resume for a few reasons (either explicitly stated or hinted at):

1. New school doesn't release GPAs, so no one else at OCI will have it, and employers will either be confused or more alerted to the fact that "HEY YOUR ARE A TRANSFER D00D"
2. If you transferred here, you're over the GPA cutoff for OCI jobs anyway regardless of what school you came from
3. You'll be able to hand them your transcript in person anyway, so there's no real reason to put it on and let them pre-judge you when you can just go ahead and talk about it in person, highlighting why you're awesome and putting anything negative into context

Near as I can tell, I'd think the general rule would be: If students at your new school put GPAs on their resume, put yours on unless explicitly told not to. If students at your new school don't put GPAs on their resume, don't put yours on unless explicitly told to.

This def seems like exception. Really--you don't have to put your GPA on your resume at your T10 OCI? I have never heard of that. I thought it was always advised to put it on unless you are sub 3.0. But to get into a T10 as a transfer you were obviously pretty competitive wherever you were and firms probably understand that. Although.. most firms ask for cutoffs so I'm still scratching my head about the omission.

happy-go-lucky

Postby happy-go-lucky » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:09 am

I was told by new school - YES - put old school gpa on resume. Your resume is going to reflect that you're a transfer with or without old school GPA. I don't see a good reason for NOT putting GPA on if it's a good GPA anyways. I would contact your new school's career services to see what their policy is, it probably varies.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:31 am

Lawquacious wrote:
JoeFish wrote:I was told by my transfer school (T10) not to put my 1L GPA on my resume for a few reasons (either explicitly stated or hinted at):

This def seems like exception. Really--you don't have to put your GPA on your resume at your T10 OCI? I have never heard of that. I thought it was always advised to put it on unless you are sub 3.0. But to get into a T10 as a transfer you were obviously pretty competitive wherever you were and firms probably understand that. Although.. most firms ask for cutoffs so I'm still scratching my head about the omission.

At NYU we are expressly forbidden from including our GPA on our resume.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:38 am

chasgoose wrote:At NYU we are expressly forbidden from including our GPA on our resume.

Likewise at CLS. I'd prefer to include it just to make it easier, but since we will be bringing a transcript to all of our interviews, I think worrying about whether they are going to see your GPA is probably unwarranted. After all, people cynically suggest the only reason for the screener is to see your grades. These interviewers were people who were able to get biglaw. They know how to read your transcript.

Return to “Transfers”