Northwestern Transfer Admits 2012 (c/o 2014)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
InnocuousDiatribe

Northwestern Transfer Admits 2012 (c/o 2014)

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:11 pm

I'll have a tough choice to make if CCN admits me in the next, oh, 36 hours. But if that doesn't happen, I'll be at NU this fall (and gladly. NU was WAY beyond my numbers first cycle--not to mention lack of WE). Anyone else on this boat?

Started apartment hunting today. Anyone know of areas close to campus that aren't over $1300/mo?

edit: By the way, did anyone else admitted not have post-grad FT work experience?

OH, and does anyone have any info on the write on??? I heard it's supposed to take place the first week-ish of school.

Should I Transfer??

Re: Northwestern Transfer Admits 2012 (c/o 2014)

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 pm

In the same boat as you. However, I am only withdrawing if I get into H or Chicago (not going to choose Columbia over NU as I only want Chicago).

I'm looking at places a little further out from the campus, so I don't really have good advise about close to campus.

I have 2 years W/E, but in an area not really helpful for law.

This is all I know about journal: "Last, for those of you interested in Journal, there will be a short write-on competition early this Fall. You will be invited to a meeting scheduled by and with the Journal editors. In the past this meeting has been early in Fall Orientation (the week of August 27) and the competition lasts for much of that week. More details about the time, location, and meeting agenda are forthcoming."

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks, SIT. I knew that you might be in the transfer class at NU, but there doesn't seem to be that many of us on these boards. Have you submitted your bids yet?

Should I Transfer??

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:38 pm

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:Thanks, SIT. I knew that you might be in the transfer class at NU, but there doesn't seem to be that many of us on these boards. Have you submitted your bids yet?

Nope I haven't submitted my bids yet. I have a telephone call with career adviser tomorrow to discuss it. Have you submitted yours? It's been especially difficult for me since all the gpa information is obviously about NU native students...hard to judge where exactly I stand.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Currently in the process. I have a feeling the bulk is going to be done over the weekend. 50 bids is alot.

Should I Transfer??

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 am

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:Currently in the process. I have a feeling the bulk is going to be done over the weekend.

Same.

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:50 bids is alot.

Agreed.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Just put down a deposit on an apartment in Gold Coast. Looks like I'll be going to Northwestern this fall!

Should I Transfer??

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:23 pm

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:Just put down a deposit on an apartment in Gold Coast. Looks like I'll be going to Northwestern this fall!

Apt shopping right now. NU it is.

Should I Transfer??

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Any other incoming transfers out there? Hows bidding coming along?

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:21 pm

We can't be the only ones on TLS.

Re: Bidding. Dude, I've only used like 26-27 bids so far. I don't even know...edit: The issue is that I don't really want any NY/CA firms, so my options have been a bit limited.

happy-go-lucky

Postby happy-go-lucky » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm here with you guys! I'm surprised so few post on TLS.

For housing, whatever you do, avoid Lake Shore Plaza for housing. I know it's tempting because it's cheaper than McClurg etc., but I have yet to have a friend who actually enjoyed living there. Onterie is an okay choice, but it has a weird stench and the first 7 floors of the building is NMH's outpatient psych unit. At least there are nice views. I would recommend looking at Craigslist or PadMapper for condos being rented out, especially from former Northwestern students/employees. Those tend to be the best deals in my opinion.

If you don't mind jumping on a bus or taking the EL, you can also live in lakeview or lincoln park. Housing tends to be slightly more affordable, but you won't be living in a high rise (if that's what you prefer).

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:58 pm

I think I'll be living in Gold Coast...and paying too much. But there weren't very many pet-friendly options.

happy-go-lucky

Postby happy-go-lucky » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:27 pm

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:I think I'll be living in Gold Coast...and paying too much. But there weren't very many pet-friendly options.

Yeah, almost all the condo buildings are pet-friendly, but not so many apartments are pet-friendly. :( Gold Coast is nice, but the buildings tend to be older and there's not really a convenient grocery store if you plan on walking. But at least you're close to school. I actually still need to find housing... :?

Also, bidding, I think I used 30 bids... I can't think of any other firms I'm interested in.

Cachinggggg

Postby Cachinggggg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey I'm going to NU this fall as well. I'll be living in Lincoln Park. It is no more than a 10-15 min bus ride and you can receive text alerts for when the bus is coming (so no standing outside for 20 mins). My buddies have a 4 bedroom apartment on the LP/Lakeview border for about $1400 if you want an idea of the deals you can find if you look a little north.

Return to “Transfers”