Transfer cover letter

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
northwood

Transfer cover letter

Postby northwood » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 am

In your cover letter for oci should you explain why u transferred in a sentence or two or just state I went to school x for first year and am a transfer student at school y? Or just state that you are a 2l at your new school?

bceagles182

Re: Transfer cover letter

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:13 am

It depends somewhat on whether you have a good reason for transferring aside from rank, but yes, generally speaking, you should explain that you transferred and why in your cover letter. You will be asked by every interviewer (seriously, I did ~40 and was asked in every single one), so you should practice justifying your transfer now anyway.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:17 am

why else do people transfer other than rank (in reality)?

Seems that is the only reason people post questions on their odds of people able to pull it off.

Yeah the OP is post transfer, but still........

Also, what is school x? Why not just say what it was?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:21 am

Obviously rank plays a role in non-lateral transfers, but there are a number of other contributing factors that shape a person's decision: ties to transferee market, academic programs specific to the new school, clerkship opportunities, etc.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:23 am

bceagles182 wrote:Obviously rank plays a role in non-lateral transfers, but there are a number of other contributing factors that shape a person's decision: ties to transferee market, academic programs specific to the new school, clerkship opportunities, etc.

can you think of anyone that has actually done it for those reasons who you have met.....ever?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:29 am

The best answer to the question is almost always going to be: "because I knew that I wanted to work in [market y] and [school y] has a much stronger presence here." And then you explain why you are interested in the market. I also explained that I had grown to dislike my prior school's market [Philly], although I had to be careful that the interviewer wasn't from Philly.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 am

I, for one, transferred in part for rank and in part for location.

Certiorari

Postby Certiorari » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 am

jurisx wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:Obviously rank plays a role in non-lateral transfers, but there are a number of other contributing factors that shape a person's decision: ties to transferee market, academic programs specific to the new school, clerkship opportunities, etc.

can you think of anyone that has actually done it for those reasons who you have met.....ever?

I guess you haven't met me in person, but I transferred, in part, for those reasons. The opportunity to go to a better school was part of what led me to transfer, but I applied to schools in a particular area for personal reasons, and only to particular schools because of interests in academia, clerkships, and the programs offered at the schools to which I applied.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 am

jurisx wrote:

Did it for family reasons and wanted to go back to my hometown

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:35 am

And regardless of whether or not that's your actual reason for transferring, OCI is a game. Half of your answers are going to be BS anyway. Why do people really choose biglaw? Because competent interviewees don't respond that they're in it for the money, even though they almost universally are.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:46 am

bceagles182 wrote:And regardless of whether or not that's your actual reason for transferring, OCI is a game. Half of your answers are going to be BS anyway. Why do people really choose biglaw? Because competent interviewees don't respond that they're in it for the money, even though they almost universally are.

So what is the best lie to tell?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:32 pm

i didn't put it in my cover letter. my resume says everything, and lawyers aren't dumb. they know what the economy is like and that people transfer for better job prospects. in my cover letter, i already packed in why i want x market, why i want their firm, why i want to practice x type of law, how i am qualified for the SA program. i didn't want to waste space on why i transferred.

yes, i got asked at every interview i've done so far why i transferred, but i was also asked what type of law and why and why their firm when that's already in my cover letter.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:32 pm

I hope they ask me why I transferred. This seems like the kind of question that is a perfect opportunity for a little "humble ambition" showcasing.

Return to “Transfers”