Advice Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tandre

New

Advice

Post by Tandre » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:04 am

I am currently at a TTTT in NY, I have a scholarship, but they won't increase it. I have been admitted to Brooklyn & Cardozo, and still waiting to hear from Fordham ( which will be a rejection). I am currently working at a small-medium size firm for the summer, they have locations in NYC and on LI and they may ask me to work next summer as well and might be able to put some time in during the year.

I need to make a deposit at either Brooklyn or Cardozo this week and was wondering if it is worth making the switch and giving up the scholarship ( which is not a full-scholarship by any means) or staying, hopefully continue to do well, and hope that the firm for which I'm working this summer offers me a job down the road or somehow get another job.

Xferr

Bronze

Re: Advice

Post by Xferr » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:41 am

I don't have any advice directly regarding your question, but I think a ballpark figure of what you're paying at your TTTT is going to matter to people who can give you advice. Might want to include that if you're comfortable doing so to increase the quality of your advice.

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Depends on how much this is going to cost you. Is the total cost of schooling at the end of the road going to increase by only 20-40k? or will it increase by 120k? I gave up a full-ride and living at home (read:nearly free law school) to transfer from my TTTT no-chance to get into biglaw to GWU. Of course, I have some savings available, so my loans will not be that high.

A better school definitely opens up more opportunities due to recognition and alumni network. However, you need to be aware of the location of the "new" school, and the location/region you want to work in.

So without any information about costs, that's the most any of us can say.

Tandre

New

Post by Tandre » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:04 pm

I get about half tuition at my current school and they will not increase my scholarship, so I pay a little over 20K currently. At Brooklyn or Cardozo, idk if I will get any money, most likely not. I would probably commute to the city and still live at home even though it may be a little tough, but would try and pick a schedule that would work with commuting. Additionally, my family will be helping me during my 3rd year.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Do you go to pace? I think going to another school may b in your best interests ... Check out oci and job searches an the like.... Then compare that to ur 1l school and compare that to ur interests and overall cost of attendance

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:59 pm

I think it all depends on what your firm wants to do with you. I don't know if you can find that out as a rising 2L. I'd say if they plan/hope to hire you, stay.

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:20 am

Here's a thought...

Ask your supervisor at your firm for advice. Talk about job prospects, budget, etc. Allude to the fact that you're concerned about job placement after graduation. If they are considering or want to hire you afterwards, then they'll tell you don't worry, and stay at your old school. Otherwise, they may tell you your best route is to transfer (which just means they're unsure about if they can hire you in the future)

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:41 am

anonymouse2828 wrote:Ask your supervisor at your firm for advice. Talk about job prospects, budget, etc. Allude to the fact that you're concerned about job placement after graduation. If they are considering or want to hire you afterwards, then they'll tell you don't worry, and stay at your old school. Otherwise, they may tell you your best route is to transfer (which just means they're unsure about if they can hire you in the future)
+1

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 am

Forgot to mention that sticker at BLS/Dozo is an awful idea and never to do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”