Columbia transfer class of 2012 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
grok123

New

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Post by grok123 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:42 am

Thanks. Also has anyone seen any info listed on how many OCI slots each employer has signed up to accept?

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:00 pm

So I've been wondering why I've received almost no information from Columbia, including zero details on how to login to Symplicity. The formula with username and SSN wasn't working for me (plus we have at least three usernames, so who knows which is correct). I emailed my career counselor who was out of the office, then emailed the career services general email. They said I should receive login info soon, but I never got it. Then I got a series of annoyed emails/calls from career services that I hadn't logged on yet, I'm the only transfer who hasn't logged on, etc.

Columbia: We sent you the login several times.
Me: I haven't received it.
Columbia: Well, I sent it personally more than once.
Me: I don't know what to say, I didn't get it. What email are you using?
Columbia: The email sent from Admissions. xxxx@gmail.com
Me: Yep, that's my email.
Columbia: Well, I'll send it again.
**nothing comes through**
Me: How are you spelling my name in that email?
Columbia: incorrect-spelling@gmail.com
Me: **facepalm**

Don't you feel like a dick now, Columbia, for giving me a hard time about not responding to you?

Now I am wondering how many other useful emails I didn't get because someone in Career Services misspelled my name.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:19 pm

forestgirl wrote:So I've been wondering why I've received almost no information from Columbia, including zero details on how to login to Symplicity. The formula with username and SSN wasn't working for me (plus we have at least three usernames, so who knows which is correct). I emailed my career counselor who was out of the office, then emailed the career services general email. They said I should receive login info soon, but I never got it. Then I got a series of annoyed emails/calls from career services that I hadn't logged on yet, I'm the only transfer who hasn't logged on, etc.

Columbia: We sent you the login several times.
Me: I haven't received it.
Columbia: Well, I sent it personally more than once.
Me: I don't know what to say, I didn't get it. What email are you using?
Columbia: The email sent from Admissions. xxxx@gmail.com
Me: Yep, that's my email.
Columbia: Well, I'll send it again.
**nothing comes through**
Me: How are you spelling my name in that email?
Columbia: incorrect-spelling@gmail.com
Me: **facepalm**

Don't you feel like a dick now, Columbia, for giving me a hard time about not responding to you?

Now I am wondering how many other useful emails I didn't get because someone in Career Services misspelled my name.
They did just forward me a useful email that looks like it had also been sent to my imaginary email address, so that's helpful. And I can log into Symplicity now. Seems like all's well that ends well. Good thing I was a pain in their butts about my login info.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 pm

My registration options just opened up in Lawnet. Anyone else want to discuss taking courses? I have no idea where to start...

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:03 pm

FlanSolo wrote:My registration options just opened up in Lawnet. Anyone else want to discuss taking courses? I have no idea where to start...
I'll probably be there with you tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iu_transfer

New

Post by iu_transfer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 pm

What did you guys use to login to LawNet? I have a username and pass for simplicity but it appears to be different

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:54 pm

iu_transfer wrote:What did you guys use to login to LawNet? I have a username and pass for simplicity but it appears to be different
From the transfer student page, click on "Before Arrival," then "Lawnet." At the bottom of the screen there will be a link to register. This took several days to process for me so you might not be able to do it right away. This is also a totally different username/password from your email as well.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:56 pm

All of the login stuff is either:
1) your email thing (2 letters + 4 numbers)
2) your non-email thing (just letters)
3) some other one that you are forced to make by that specific website makes

So just go down the list and you'll eventually figure out which one it is. I have no idea why this is necessary or efficient, but that's how it goes.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:05 pm

shock259 wrote:All of the login stuff is either:
1) your email thing (2 letters + 4 numbers)
2) your non-email thing (just letters)
3) some other one that you are forced to make by that specific website makes

So just go down the list and you'll eventually figure out which one it is. I have no idea why this is necessary or efficient, but that's how it goes.
Anybody figure out what those numbers in our email addresses mean? Or why, for the love of God, they are even there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:08 pm

forestgirl wrote: Anybody figure out what those numbers in our email addresses mean? Or why, for the love of God, they are even there?
I know. For being such a good school, the IT stuff seems a little weird. Like, LionMail doesn't work for me, and CubMail looks like the email I had through my undergrad in 2005.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Nope. I can't figure out any correlation to anything. Looks really dumb on my resume. Why couldn't I just pick my own email address? Do you trust me that little, Columbia? It's a shame. I really wanted ass_man14@columbia.edu

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Shock - can you get on the pre-registration page? It's telling me that I'm not authorized to be there and I'm trying to figure out if it doesn't work for any of us yet, or just me.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:14 pm

FlanSolo wrote:Shock - can you get on the pre-registration page? It's telling me that I'm not authorized to be there and I'm trying to figure out if it doesn't work for any of us yet, or just me.
I was getting that error message for about 3 business days after I sent my deposit. Don't worry about it. Calling admissions and student services seemed to speed up the process though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Yeah I finally can. I haven't been checking much, but I just noticed I could yesterday. That's about a week after I deposited.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 pm

forestgirl wrote:
FlanSolo wrote:Shock - can you get on the pre-registration page? It's telling me that I'm not authorized to be there and I'm trying to figure out if it doesn't work for any of us yet, or just me.
I was getting that error message for about 3 business days after I sent my deposit. Don't worry about it. Calling admissions and student services seemed to speed up the process though.
Ok, cool. I'll call them tomorrow if it's still not working. I need my PID anyway, although the idea that I'm going to get housing now is actually making me laugh.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:28 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
forestgirl wrote:
Ok, cool. I'll call them tomorrow if it's still not working. I need my PID anyway, although the idea that I'm going to get housing now is actually making me laugh.
So I just realized I was talking about something else-- I still have this error message. I'll call tomorrow as well if it's not working.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:25 am

By the way, I haven't heard this from anyone yet, but I think we aren't supposed to have access to pre-registration on lawnet, because we are supposed to use this form:

http://www.law.columbia.edu/null/Transf ... howthumb=0

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 am

That would make sense. Why oh why is this all so confusing?

fu2009

New

Post by fu2009 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:56 am

FlanSolo wrote:By the way, I haven't heard this from anyone yet, but I think we aren't supposed to have access to pre-registration on lawnet, because we are supposed to use this form:

Wow...totally missed that. Thanks for posting!

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:58 am

fu2009 wrote:
FlanSolo wrote:By the way, I haven't heard this from anyone yet, but I think we aren't supposed to have access to pre-registration on lawnet, because we are supposed to use this form:

No problem. I found it by accident!

fu2009

New

Post by fu2009 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 am

FlanSolo wrote:
fu2009 wrote:

No problem. I found it by accident!
Yay for happy accidents!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:07 am

This form has links to the class schedule and such. Not sure if the link will work, but it's the "Registration Memo" under the Registration section of the transfer website. https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... -12-12.pdf

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:09 am

forestgirl wrote:This form has links to the class schedule and such. Not sure if the link will work, but it's the "Registration Memo" under the Registration section of the transfer website. https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... -12-12.pdf
This has been working for me. It's about a thousand times more useful than the piece of crap bulletin I had to use at my old school.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/courses/search

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks, that search site is super helpful. Anybody have thoughts about the primary/alternate listing on the pre-reg form? My old school didn't have that. It was just a free-for-all. Should my alternate be another class in the same time slot as my primary selection?

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 pm

forestgirl wrote:Thanks, that search site is super helpful. Anybody have thoughts about the primary/alternate listing on the pre-reg form? My old school didn't have that. It was just a free-for-all. Should my alternate be another class in the same time slot as my primary selection?
That would seem to make sense from a scheduling perspective, otherwise you will need to make sure that your alternate also does not conflict any other class or its alternate. That's probably not impossible to do, but I plan on doing it as a time slot alternate because I'd rather be sure of my schedule than my classes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”