Columbia transfer class of 2012

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
forestgirl
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby forestgirl » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:17 pm

alienshooter wrote:I asked the admission office. They said it took five days to activate UNi after you laid your deposit. :)

Mine only took two days. I had to actively look it up though-- I didn't receive an email or anything like that.

forestgirl
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby forestgirl » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Has anyone else talked to their career counselor yet? Mine is really friendly but EXTREMELY urgent about everything, like in terms of wanting updates on my resume within hours. This is all while I am still working two jobs. I'm excited to be admitted and really stoked that EIP has so many opportunities, but I feel like a fish out of water. My old school only had 15 possible firms to bid for the New York Interview Program. I don't really know where to start.

Also, what about taking our GPA's and ranks off of our resumes? Apparently Columbia's instructions are to not include this information from either undergrad or 1L school. I took it off my resume because I want to do everything by the book, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. My grades are, of course, a major selling point on my resume and I feel that I look weaker without them listed. If I send a resume to a firm that isn't necessarily familiar with Columbia's policy, it's going to look like my grades were so poor that I did not want to list them. Note: I understand that Columbia doesn't do GPA and rank, so this is not a question about Columbia-- it's a question about my previous school information.

trbrny
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby trbrny » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:09 am

forestgirl wrote:Has anyone else talked to their career counselor yet? Mine is really friendly but EXTREMELY urgent about everything, like in terms of wanting updates on my resume within hours. This is all while I am still working two jobs. I'm excited to be admitted and really stoked that EIP has so many opportunities, but I feel like a fish out of water. My old school only had 15 possible firms to bid for the New York Interview Program. I don't really know where to start.

Also, what about taking our GPA's and ranks off of our resumes? Apparently Columbia's instructions are to not include this information from either undergrad or 1L school. I took it off my resume because I want to do everything by the book, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. My grades are, of course, a major selling point on my resume and I feel that I look weaker without them listed. If I send a resume to a firm that isn't necessarily familiar with Columbia's policy, it's going to look like my grades were so poor that I did not want to list them. Note: I understand that Columbia doesn't do GPA and rank, so this is not a question about Columbia-- it's a question about my previous school information.


I also found my career counselor to be super nice but extremely urgent. She told me to remove my previous law school GPA but to keep the rank. Apparently most firms understand from the fact that you transferred into Columbia that you had extremely high grades in your previous school.

I'm still struggling with putting together a bid list - there's so much info to process and not sure what to do. Does anyone have any incite into this process?

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby shock259 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:20 am

Well, I think the counselors are urgent because the bidding is coming around so fast. Mine wanted me to submit my bid list on Monday at the latest just in case there were any technical issues/unforeseen circumstances.

With the class rank from your previous school, I was also told to remove it for OCI. I'm not sure if I should include it or not for mass mailing. But even if I don't include it on the resume, I will be sending a transcript along with the resume, so the info will be there. Also, I agree that it creates a pretty strong impression if you transferred to Columbia. They'll assume you are a superstar, I think. I'm leaning towards keeping it off.

Also, this whole process is terribly unnerving. I've gone through revision after revision of my bidlist, but I'm pretty sure I'm still doing it all wrong. There's so much data to consider yet so many unknowns. Blah.

But whenever I get too overwhelmed, I tell myself that the only reason I even have these opportunities is because I transferred. These firms wouldn't give me an interview if I stayed at my school. And even if I strike out, I'll still be in a better position than I would have been had I stayed.

trbrny
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby trbrny » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:22 am

anybody else breaking their heads over the bid list? if anybody wants to exchange or post lists so we can get feedback, let me know.

lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:21 am

Im a previous transfer, and I'm surprised they said no rankings.

when i transferred, I wasnt allowed to put my undergrad or law school GPA. however, i was allowed to put summa cum laude for undergrad and top x% for law school.

I transferred last year, so unless they changed the policy since then u should be allowed to do the above - u just cant list a hard number GPA.

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:24 am

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:Im a previous transfer, and I'm surprised they said no rankings.

when i transferred, I wasnt allowed to put my undergrad or law school GPA. however, i was allowed to put summa cum laude for undergrad and top x% for law school.

I transferred last year, so unless they changed the policy since then u should be allowed to do the above - u just cant list a hard number GPA.


This kind of sucks for me because the only designation my (former) school gives is top 15% percent, and based on honors cutoffs and the TLS estimator, I was top 1-2%. I guess they'll see my transcript though, right?

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby quiver » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 am

FlanSolo wrote:
lawschoolgrapedme wrote:Im a previous transfer, and I'm surprised they said no rankings.

when i transferred, I wasnt allowed to put my undergrad or law school GPA. however, i was allowed to put summa cum laude for undergrad and top x% for law school.

I transferred last year, so unless they changed the policy since then u should be allowed to do the above - u just cant list a hard number GPA.


This kind of sucks for me because the only designation my (former) school gives is top 15% percent, and based on honors cutoffs and the TLS estimator, I was top 1-2%. I guess they'll see my transcript though, right?
I think I was told the same thing last year. IMO it's important to remember that the CSO is there to help, but they cannot bar you from participating in EIP just because your resume doesn't conform to their template. You can do whatever you want with your resume; your name is at the top. That's how I thought of it at least.

Oh, and I put my GPA on there.

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 am

Good point, thanks Quiver.

trbrny
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby trbrny » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 am

FlanSolo wrote:
lawschoolgrapedme wrote:Im a previous transfer, and I'm surprised they said no rankings.

when i transferred, I wasnt allowed to put my undergrad or law school GPA. however, i was allowed to put summa cum laude for undergrad and top x% for law school.

I transferred last year, so unless they changed the policy since then u should be allowed to do the above - u just cant list a hard number GPA.


This kind of sucks for me because the only designation my (former) school gives is top 15% percent, and based on honors cutoffs and the TLS estimator, I was top 1-2%. I guess they'll see my transcript though, right?


I got the following email from career services:

"My apologies for telling you it was okay to have your GPA on your resume, but we are asking all students to remove it. You can have your rank (#/#), and Top X% if available. "

So I think its ok to include both rank and percentile.

grok123
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby grok123 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 pm

How are you all handling contacting firms in your current market? I know the general advice is to not contact a firm outside of OCI if they're interviewing there, but there are a number of firms that have an OCI slot for say their SF office and not their Silicon Valley office. Do you think it's okay to contact the Silicon Valley office outside of OCI?

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Anyone have information about journal applications, or where I can find the information?

iu_transfer
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby iu_transfer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:15 am

In yesterday, deposited last night. I started some prelim housing research myself but would love to room with someone else (or two) if anyone is looking to fill a spot. PM me if so

lockiller
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby lockiller » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 am

Any idea how many people are on the waitlist of the university housing list? Do I still have a realistic chance to get housing from the university (applying now)?

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

I was told by someone last year that they hit #400 by 8/12 and they eventually got to about 500, but it wasn't until much later. He was unsure if they got further. I signed up for housing on 7/18 and got assigned #600. So I'm going to say unlikely based on last year's data. I'd start the craigslist slog.

forestgirl
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby forestgirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 am

For people living off-campus: where are you looking? I am being strongly discouraged from looking above the 80s because the neighborhoods in the UWS and around Columbia are less than great, but midtown is really pricey. And we have cats, so I keep getting my hopes up and then seeing "no pets." I'm close to throwing my hands up and accepting the commute from New Jersey.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 am

Looking like I'll be up in East Harlem (if this deal goes through). It's kinda far from the excitement in the city, but it is cheaper and pretty close to Columbia.

forestgirl
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby forestgirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Strongly considering a new development right next to the Secaucus train station-- it's cheap and the commute would only be 40 minutes. Maybe I'll just go with that and be done with this mess.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:44 pm

forestgirl wrote:Strongly considering a new development right next to the Secaucus train station-- it's cheap and the commute would only be 40 minutes. Maybe I'll just go with that and be done with this mess.

Hey, I know this is the transfer thread and I totally don't belong here, but unless "cheap" is really important to you, I would seriously look closer to Columbia. If it's older people who have been telling you where to avoid, the neighborhood has changed a lot in the last 10-20 years, and things can be fairly cheap around here (though of course with a bit of a boost for being close to the university and campus security).

lockiller
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby lockiller » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Just to check with you guys.
The template resume provided by Columbia has margins of 0.9' on top and bottom, and 0.6' on left and right. We should adhere to the margins, right?

yanks88
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby yanks88 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Has anyone confirmed the Journal Application deadline is Friday? I got in today, but trying to decide if I can even make all this happen in essentially 4 days without losing my mind.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:51 pm

It is Friday. I think it's at 3PM. Most of the docs are routine stuff, though. Only thing you'll have to "write" for it is a personal statement (max 2 pages).

nadopretz
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby nadopretz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 pm

What is my "sign up code" for housing? BLAH.

grok123
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby grok123 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:11 am

shock259 wrote:It is Friday. I think it's at 3PM. Most of the docs are routine stuff, though. Only thing you'll have to "write" for it is a personal statement (max 2 pages).


Do you have a link? The websites are pretty bad and I haven't been able to find it. Also has anyone seen anything on transfer class registration?

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Postby shock259 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:41 am

Log into the admitted students portal, hit "Opportunities" on the left, then hit "Journals"

I don't think it will link right, but you should find it there.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.