Columbia transfer class of 2012 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
trbrny

Bronze

Re: Columbia transfer class of 2012

Post by trbrny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Anybody have any insight into good classes or professors to take?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in one more time to point you to the 'Columbia 1Ls taking questions thread' if you haven't seen it. Seem of the previous answers on housing etc. could be helpful for you, and questions about professors and things might be better answered by the 1L/2Ls in that thread. It's pretty active, so hopefully it could be a good resource for you :)

Eta link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=176925

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:05 pm

piccolittle wrote:Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in one more time to point you to the 'Columbia 1Ls taking questions thread' if you haven't seen it. Seem of the previous answers on housing etc. could be helpful for you, and questions about professors and things might be better answered by the 1L/2Ls in that thread. It's pretty active, so hopefully it could be a good resource for you :)

Thanks Piccolittle.

trbrny - subject to what I read in that thread, my approach is to try and make this semester my easiest academically. I think with making the adjustment to a new school and going through the 2L job hunt, I'm going to want to keep things easy on myself. Right now, I'm looking at taking Evidence, Corporations, a health care seminar (paper), and professional responsibility. May need to check and see how the credits work out, but I'd like to cap the big, doctrinal classes that people take seriously to 2 right now.

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:10 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in one more time to point you to the 'Columbia 1Ls taking questions thread' if you haven't seen it. Seem of the previous answers on housing etc. could be helpful for you, and questions about professors and things might be better answered by the 1L/2Ls in that thread. It's pretty active, so hopefully it could be a good resource for you :)

Thanks Piccolittle.

trbrny - subject to what I read in that thread, my approach is to try and make this semester my easiest academically. I think with making the adjustment to a new school and going through the 2L job hunt, I'm going to want to keep things easy on myself. Right now, I'm looking at taking Evidence, Corporations, a health care seminar (paper), and professional responsibility. May need to check and see how the credits work out, but I'd like to cap the big, doctrinal classes that people take seriously to 2 right now.
I was thinking the same thing, two of admin law, corporations, evidence, securities... Plus proffessional responsibility and maybe a seminar or two such as negotiation and something theoretical for fun.

But I was really looking for insight into must take professors... Been kind of struggling to find that type of stuff online.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:34 pm

So.... anyone working on their journal personal statement? I have a feeling it might be inspired quite a bit by my personal statement for application...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:45 pm

FlanSolo wrote:So.... anyone working on their journal personal statement? I have a feeling it might be inspired quite a bit by my personal statement for application...
Lol - my first half was copy paste from admission personal statement. Second half was copy paste from my previous journal personal statement. Changed like 8 words.

#WINNING

nadopretz

Bronze

Post by nadopretz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 pm

We are only pre-registering for Fall, right?

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:03 pm

trbrny wrote:Anybody have any insight into good classes or professors to take?
Raskolnikov for Tax
Schetctman for Evidence

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:15 am

jstn1104 wrote:
Raskolnikov for Tax
Schetctman for Evidence

Thanks.

Just finished my journal app. What a pain.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:32 am

Same. Next on the agenda: classes.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:57 am

jstn1104 wrote:
Raskolnikov for Tax
Schetctman for Evidence
Shechtman for everything, but Capra is also very good for evidence. Anything with Trevor Morrison. I heard Monaghan was entertaining too.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 am

quiver wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
Raskolnikov for Tax
Schetctman for Evidence
Shechtman for everything, but Capra is also very good for evidence. Anything with Trevor Morrison. I heard Monaghan was entertaining too.
Quiver- thanks for helping us out. Did you generally get the classes you requested?

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:57 am

Anybody have thoughts on strategy or preference for ranking journals? Any thoughts from Quiver or other current students on any journals to avoid? I am planning rank based on my interest in the subject matter so that it makes the most sense on my resume, but I'm wondering if there's any other strategy to this. For example, at my old school, one of our secondary journals was fairly prestigious, so it would be in your interest to rank it highly even if you were not thrilled about the subject matter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 am

FlanSolo wrote:
quiver wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
Raskolnikov for Tax
Schetctman for Evidence
Quiver- thanks for helping us out. Did you generally get the classes you requested?
Tough to say. It depends on which classes you rank and where you rank them. I did an extremely poor jobs of ranking for fall semester and got only like 2 classes which were lower down on my list. Spring semester I got my first 4 choices. Don't panic though, you can usually use the add/drop period to get some more classes you want.
forestgirl wrote:Anybody have thoughts on strategy or preference for ranking journals? Any thoughts from Quiver or other current students on any journals to avoid? I am planning rank based on my interest in the subject matter so that it makes the most sense on my resume, but I'm wondering if there's any other strategy to this. For example, at my old school, one of our secondary journals was fairly prestigious, so it would be in your interest to rank it highly even if you were not thrilled about the subject matter.
I'm not aware of a secondary with particular prestige here at CLS. Each journal has their own pros and cons. Some will require you to write a note in the fall which can be pretty annoying, but you also get your major writing credit out of the way early and have a chance a getting published. Some journals are bigger with a lot of people (good for getting to know a lot of native CLS students) and others are smaller with a more tight-knit staff. It really depends on what you're looking for and what your interests are. FWIW, I heard that the journal of international arbitration (or something like that) had a very light workload and no note requirement if you're just looking for a resume builder.

bluetieguy7

New

Post by bluetieguy7 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:56 am

quiver, how hard was it to get into one of these journals?
can we expect to get one of our top 3 choices?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:22 pm

bluetieguy7 wrote:quiver, how hard was it to get into one of these journals?
can we expect to get one of our top 3 choices?
To be honest, I'm not really sure. It may depend on how many spots each respective journal reserved for transfers and how many transfers apply.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:23 pm

The transfer orientation site just stopped working for me. It doesn't even say the passcode is wrong; the login page just keeps reloading when I log in. And I'm sure I'm putting in the same passcode as always. Anyone else having trouble, or is it just me?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:33 pm

forestgirl wrote:The transfer orientation site just stopped working for me. It doesn't even say the passcode is wrong; the login page just keeps reloading when I log in. And I'm sure I'm putting in the same passcode as always. Anyone else having trouble, or is it just me?
Yep, me too. Can't apply for housing because the access code is stored on that site. If anyone has it, would they mind PMing me?

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:35 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
forestgirl wrote:The transfer orientation site just stopped working for me. It doesn't even say the passcode is wrong; the login page just keeps reloading when I log in. And I'm sure I'm putting in the same passcode as always. Anyone else having trouble, or is it just me?
Yep, me too. Can't apply for housing because the access code is stored on that site. If anyone has it, would they mind PMing me?
Also if anyone already downloaded the application for Moot Court Editors, could you PM me so you could send it along? I can't remember what the deadline is and I wanted to get to it asap. And I don't have the housing access code, sorry Flan. :?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:09 am

This class registration form is annoying. I have no idea how my "ideal" schedule would look. I have class conflicts all over the place, but I guess that is inevitable when they make you pick 14 classes. I have no idea what I just did, but I generally just put classes I wanted. That's about all I have time for right now.

Guess we will see what happens!

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:55 am

I just emailed my career counselor and she's going to be out of the office (again) for a few days, so I figured I would crowd-source these questions and see what you guys think. First, should we have business cards? I had them at my old school and didn't use them much, but that was 1L so it might be different. Second, am I going to be ok for all four days of interviews in one black suit (left my other one out of state)? Last-- is anyone expecting wonders from the EIP kick-off? I can't go because of work and I'm trying to convince myself it's not going to be helpful.

Shock, as for classes, that's pretty much what I did, too. I have no idea whether I'm going to get the doctrinal classes I signed up for or whether I'm going to have a semester full of seminars... or no classes at all! We'll see. I'm sure we'll all be able to drop/add so we at least have some kind of schedule.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:46 am

forestgirl wrote:I just emailed my career counselor and she's going to be out of the office (again) for a few days, so I figured I would crowd-source these questions and see what you guys think. First, should we have business cards? I had them at my old school and didn't use them much, but that was 1L so it might be different. Second, am I going to be ok for all four days of interviews in one black suit (left my other one out of state)? Last-- is anyone expecting wonders from the EIP kick-off? I can't go because of work and I'm trying to convince myself it's not going to be helpful.

Shock, as for classes, that's pretty much what I did, too. I have no idea whether I'm going to get the doctrinal classes I signed up for or whether I'm going to have a semester full of seminars... or no classes at all! We'll see. I'm sure we'll all be able to drop/add so we at least have some kind of schedule.
From what I've been told there's a lot of opportunity to get the classes you want during the add/drop period.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:51 am

Anybody know what's up with financial aid? I included CLS on my FAFSA for this year because I knew I'd be applying, but the questionnaire we need to fill out isn't working for me online.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:33 am

forestgirl wrote:I just emailed my career counselor and she's going to be out of the office (again) for a few days, so I figured I would crowd-source these questions and see what you guys think. First, should we have business cards? I had them at my old school and didn't use them much, but that was 1L so it might be different. Second, am I going to be ok for all four days of interviews in one black suit (left my other one out of state)? Last-- is anyone expecting wonders from the EIP kick-off? I can't go because of work and I'm trying to convince myself it's not going to be helpful.

1. I had business cards during 1L and I literally never used a single one.
2. I think so. I only have 1 suit as well. I figure I will just mix up the tie. All suits kinda look the same anyway.
3. I have no idea what to expect. I'm planning on going to the event, but I dunno how useful the reception will be. If it is anything like my old school's networking events, it'll be 8-9 law students per partner and me just eating the free food and leaving. But maybe CLS is different.

And I'm glad you did the same thing with classes :)

bluetieguy7

New

Post by bluetieguy7 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 pm

has anyone been given access to Lawnet?

it'd be really helpful to read reviews on profs before registration ends in 5 hrs...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”