Columbia v Penn v NYU Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Columbia, NYU, or Penn?

Columbia (no chance at law review, chance for secondary journal)
46%
NYU
25%
Penn
29%

Total votes: 52

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Columbia v Penn v NYU

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:57 pm

@Reversed & Remanded: Can you give a response with actual numbers. As is, 2 out of 2 may have participated in the law review writing competition with a 100% success rate.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:03 pm

OP: Based on Reverse & Remanded's response & lack of a detailed response, I think that you need to contact NYU & Columbia with an updated letter of interest.

"Every transfer...except for those who...." = seems more like an answer offered by a slick used car salesman
than one offered by a law review executive editor of a top 10 law school.

Apparently there is good reason behind the "top 6" designation.

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:32 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Based on Reverse & Remanded's response & lack of a detailed response, I think that you need to contact NYU & Columbia with an updated letter of interest.

"Every transfer...except for those who...." = seems more like an answer offered by a slick used car salesman
than one offered by a law review executive editor of a top 10 law school.

Apparently there is good reason behind the "top 6" designation.
Oh chill out. It's well-established that Penn admits around 25 transfers. We had, afaik, 24 last year. All except 2 participated in the writing competition, because those 2 did Version A of the JLASC app (wherein you apply to JLASC and it's binding if they accept you, as opposed to Version B, wherein you take the writing competition and then can choose to join JLASC—if they accept you—before learning your score). Leaving you with 22.

2 out of those 22 scored within the top 22 of the rising 2Ls' scores and made Law Review.

But, to be honest, the percentage is irrelevant. If only 2 transfers participated in Penn's writing competition, but they ranked 23rd and 24th when their scores were slotted in with the rising 2Ls' scores, they would not make the Law Review.
Last edited by ReversedAndRemanded on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Thank you for the information.

P.S. That comes to 9%.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:08 pm

OOOOO. This is some Jerry Springer law review talk!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:09 pm

On a more serious note, is there much discrepancy between the scores of the writing part? The fellow I talked to seemed to indicate everyone basically does about the same on that.

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:On a more serious note, is there much discrepancy between the scores of the writing part? The fellow I talked to seemed to indicate everyone basically does about the same on that.
By "the writing part," do you mean the Essay or the entire Competition?

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 pm

I mean the essay part as opposed to the cite exercise.

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:47 pm

No. There is a distinct discrepancy in scores for both. And considering that the Essay is worth 40% of the total score, it's no throwaway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:13 am

ReversedAndRemanded wrote:But, to be honest, the percentage is irrelevant. It's not like Michigan's write-on competition, where they take the top 2 transfers' scores onto Mich. L. Rev. If only 2 transfers participated in Penn's writing competition, but they ranked 23rd and 24th when their scores were slotted in with the rising 2Ls' scores, they would not make the Law Review.
That's not true. Michigan's write on works the exact same way that Penn's does. I'm about 99% sure that no Michigan transfers made LR last year. (Know this isn't a Michigan thread, but I wanted to fix that misconception).

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:55 am

keg411 wrote:
ReversedAndRemanded wrote:But, to be honest, the percentage is irrelevant. It's not like Michigan's write-on competition, where they take the top 2 transfers' scores onto Mich. L. Rev. If only 2 transfers participated in Penn's writing competition, but they ranked 23rd and 24th when their scores were slotted in with the rising 2Ls' scores, they would not make the Law Review.
That's not true. Michigan's write on works the exact same way that Penn's does. I'm about 99% sure that no Michigan transfers made LR last year. (Know this isn't a Michigan thread, but I wanted to fix that misconception).
My mistake! I stand corrected. The offending statement's been stricken :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”