T-25 or NYU?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yanks88

T-25 or NYU?

Postby yanks88 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Hello all,

Seeking some advice from the forum. I got into NYU as a transfer and need to decide whether it is even worth asking my current school for more money.

T-25 school: Top 10%, Law Review, strong relationships with several professors (but not planning to clerk), 10k scholarship (but likely could get more...)

I want to do big law in NYC, but I already have 8-12 interviews with V50 firms in NYC through my T-25 school (don't want to disclose specifics). None in V10, but honestly I want a life (if that's even possible for big law in NYC), and I've already determined I wouldn't work for a few of those firms. I have 5 years work experience so I feel pretty confident I could get an offer through my T-25 school.

Having said that, NYU obviously offers a much bigger OCI for NY firms. The firms I'm interviewing with at my T-25 school may take max 2-3 people, but plenty of years just 1, or even none depending on the year.

Is this a no-brainer regardless of money from my T-25 school? Thanks in advance for the responses!

PlessFightsFire

Re: T-25 or NYU?

Postby PlessFightsFire » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 am

Depends on T-25. In a similar position I transferred FWIW. I'm curious about the specifics of these interviews.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 am

yanks88 wrote:T-25 school: Top 10%, Law Review, strong relationships with several professors (but not planning to clerk), 10k scholarship (but likely could get more...)

What makes you sure you could get more?

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:23 am

if you could get more money via scholarship, i'm not sure why you wouldn't do that. and if you've already gotten 10 interviews in the v50 (assuming you can get more money), i'm not sure why you'd go to nyu other than for the prestige. i'm sure it will be more expensive in lower manhattan than where you are, unless you're already in ny.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:30 am

ze2151 wrote:if you could get more money via scholarship, i'm not sure why you wouldn't do that. and if you've already gotten 10 interviews in the v50 (assuming you can get more money), i'm not sure why you'd go to nyu other than for the prestige. i'm sure it will be more expensive in lower manhattan than where you are, unless you're already in ny.

Maybe. NYU says you should expect between 20-25 interviews. Given that most firms will take considerably less kids from a T25 than a T6, your odds of getting something at OCI seem substantially better at NYU. Also, since OP is top 10 percent, and not say, top 5 percent, this seems especially true.

It also sort of depends which T25 this is, right?

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:39 am

maybe i don't understand the mechanics of transferring, but i don't see how nyu's oci stats will help op. even if op transfers tomorrow, will s/he be able to participate in nyu's oci? even if s/he can, won't s/he still have to report a transcript from the t-25 and be treated as such?

from my perspective, sure, nyu places more people and gets more interviews. but op has already put him/herself in a great position at the t25 and would only lose ground with respect to her competition if s/he were to transfer at this juncture.

am i not understanding how transferring works?

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 am

ze2151 wrote:maybe i don't understand the mechanics of transferring, but i don't see how nyu's oci stats will help op. even if op transfers tomorrow, will s/he be able to participate in nyu's oci? even if s/he can, won't s/he still have to report a transcript from the t-25 and be treated as such?

from my perspective, sure, nyu places more people and gets more interviews. but op has already put him/herself in a great position at the t25 and would only lose ground with respect to her competition if s/he were to transfer at this juncture.

am i not understanding how transferring works?

Well, you're partially right. You're correct that OP will be evaluated based on the (impressive) credentials from their T25. However, OP will be able to participate in NYU's OCI. That means OP will get 20-25 screening interviews, whereas from OP's T25, OP would get 8-12 (with the same impressive credentials). Additionally, firms take many less students from a T25 than from a T6, but now OP will be counted as among the T6, not the T25. So the advantage is that there are just a lot more open slots, at a lot more firms, which reduces the likelihood that due to bad luck, OP strikes out.

None of this is to say that OP has a bad situation at his/her T25; far from it. Just that NYU 1) may be a safer bet 2) may open more doors, and 3) may pay long term dividends. Whether that is worth the cost of transfer is up to the OP.

mdfreeman

Postby mdfreeman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:05 am

If you can get more money then stay. If you can't, then transfer. I'm at a T30 and I'm transferring to NYU simply because my 1L school didn't offer me any money and I didn't make LR. Aside from uprooting my life and making new friends, I've really got nothing to lose.

That's just where I'm coming from.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:07 am

mdfreeman wrote:If you can get more money then stay. If you can't, then transfer. I'm at a T30 and I'm transferring to NYU simply because my 1L school didn't offer me any money and I didn't make LR. Aside from uprooting my life and making new friends, I've really got nothing to lose.

That's just where I'm coming from.

Even this aside (OP has LR), OP wants biglaw in NYC. NYU is going to be a huge help with that.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:08 am

what's the t-25?? i think that may be important to know before further advising...

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 am

TLSwag wrote:what's the t-25?? i think that may be important to know before further advising...

almost certainly WUSTL

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 am

op likely would have said t20 if it were 20 or better, so that limits the possibilities to 4 based on most recent ranks: ND, Wash U., Emory, and Wash Lee.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:56 am

Given those schools & OP's preferences for NYC big firm work, unless were talking about a potential full ride as a result of OP's grades, I personally think its a no brainer to transfer...

yanks88

Postby yanks88 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 am

Hey everyone - thanks for the responses. Let me add some info to help with the discussion:

The T-25 school is Emory. I don't know for sure that I can get more money, but talking to a few people (including one professor) it is possible (probably depends on scholarship budget if other transfers have left). I'm not going to ask though without figuring out a threshold amount (if any) that would keep me.

If I had to bet, as some of you have suggested, I should be OK from Emory to get one of those 8-12 firms for next summer. However, is it worth the risk? NYU OCI has not happened yet so that is not an issue. The sheer number of screening interviews, 20-25, plus the fact these firms often take multiple NYU students seems to heavily weigh in favor of transferring. I am concerned about where I'd end up ranking in the NYU class and missing out on Law Review, but these seem like secondary concerns if I can get a job from a top NY firm. Plus, I would still try and get on a journal to have that experience.

I think I've seen this in other forums, but is there some basic formula for figuring out how amount of debt translates to relative monthly cost? I saw someone post $100 a month for every $10k (although duration wasn't clear so I was a bit confused).

Thanks.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 am

OP, I was in your exact position last year, top 10% at a T25, and in at NYU. Like you, my goal was NYC biglaw. I left my T25 for NYU, and let me tell you, its the best choice I ever made. Of the transfers I keep up with (about 15), every one is working for a great firm, and many are in with firms that would have never considered us at our old schools. Transfers get a full opportunity to bid on every OCI employer, and end up with just as many interviews as continuing students (I think the average is about 20-25 interviews). Plus its full lottery so you can essentially pick which firms you want to meet with. You are at no disadvantage at all. Bottom line is that you wont regret it if you transfer up. PM me if you want some specifics or details on anything.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:31 am

sounds like kaiser's is the final word on the issue. best of luck, yanks!

Return to “Transfers”