TTTT to TT? Need Advice!

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CaneRaider

TTTT to TT? Need Advice!

Postby CaneRaider » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:33 am

I need some advice from the experts and I hear this is the place to find them. I am currently at a 4th Tier with a top 15% gpa and AmJur in one class. No law review. Have an offer from a journal thats been standing forever so I dont know if it is still open. Nothing else really going for me at the school I am at right now including the fact that I have no scholarships at either place. Got accepted to a 2nd Tier which is a little cheaper and I am not sure whether it is worth it to transfer. What do yall think? Not really worried about the geographical change so thats a non-factor.

Lawquacious

Re: TTTT to TT? Need Advice!

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:40 am

CaneRaider wrote:I need some advice from the experts and I hear this is the place to find them. I am currently at a 4th Tier with a top 15% gpa and AmJur in one class. No law review. Have an offer from a journal thats been standing forever so I dont know if it is still open. Nothing else really going for me at the school I am at right now including the fact that I have no scholarships at either place. Got accepted to a 2nd Tier which is a little cheaper and I am not sure whether it is worth it to transfer. What do yall think? Not really worried about the geographical change so thats a non-factor.

Just curious, what do you mean by AmJur-- I'm assuming it the same as Cali Award, but never heard of AmJur other than the AmJur legal encylopedia...

That aside, all things equal I would go for it. But it is more or less a matter of whether you prefer to work/live in the city and state where your current school is or where the school you could transfer to is.

CaneRaider

Postby CaneRaider » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:42 am

Lawquacious wrote:
CaneRaider wrote:I need some advice from the experts and I hear this is the place to find them. I am currently at a 4th Tier with a top 15% gpa and AmJur in one class. No law review. Have an offer from a journal thats been standing forever so I dont know if it is still open. Nothing else really going for me at the school I am at right now including the fact that I have no scholarships at either place. Got accepted to a 2nd Tier which is a little cheaper and I am not sure whether it is worth it to transfer. What do yall think? Not really worried about the geographical change so thats a non-factor.

Just curious, what do you mean by AmJur-- I'm assuming it the same as Cali Award, but never heard of AmJur other than the AmJur legal encylopedia...

That aside, all things equal I would go for it. But it is more or less a matter of whether you prefer to work/live in the city and state where your current school is or where the school you could transfer to is.

Yeah I meant top grade in the class. I have heard it so many times used differently I am not sure what its actually called. And Im comfortable living and working in both towns and have family in both towns. Both metropolitan just down the road from each other. Piece of cake.

CaneRaider

Postby CaneRaider » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:01 am

Looking mainly at OCI and how well students in my situation might do at the Tier 2 school versus how I might do for the 4th Tier. 4th only has like 40 employers right now and bidding already opened while Tier 2's office claims that they have over 100. Also wondering whether losing my GPA is going to hurt me in the long or short run too much for me to transfer. Considering some other stuff but those are some of my main concerns.

anonymouse2828

Postby anonymouse2828 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:29 am

Read the transfer thread sticky...

as for OCI, employers are known to "grade" you based on your old school, but at least they will look at your resume. That's really the only advantage you have for OCI's. unless you're #1 in your TTTT class, if an employer won't even consider someone from your old school, then it'll be an uphill battle for sure.

If you're not getting any money, I say transfer. Otherwise, you may need to weight the debt cost-benefit of transferring, among other factors.

CaneRaider

Postby CaneRaider » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 pm

anonymouse2828 wrote:Read the transfer thread sticky...

as for OCI, employers are known to "grade" you based on your old school, but at least they will look at your resume. That's really the only advantage you have for OCI's. unless you're #1 in your TTTT class, if an employer won't even consider someone from your old school, then it'll be an uphill battle for sure.

If you're not getting any money, I say transfer. Otherwise, you may need to weight the debt cost-benefit of transferring, among other factors.

Found the thread thanks. Just got an email from the dean explaining that he'd hate to see me go and that there might be some scholarship/grant money available if I decide to stay. The school I did 1L at is significantly more expensive but we will see what happens when I meet with him.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:22 am

How much are you paying at the TTTT and how much would you pay at the TT just out of curiosity? Which TT is it?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 am

Why not name the law schools ? Should result in more knowledgeable responses. For example, big difference between Duquesne/Pitt & AJMLS/GaState.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:48 am

I'll guess St. Thomas & Miami are the law schools in question. If so, transfer.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:53 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Why not name the law schools ? Should result in more knowledgeable responses. For example, big difference between Duquesne/Pitt & AJMLS/GaState.

Totally agree. Duquesne/Pitt without significant cost savings would raise questions in an interview. Given the fact that the market here is split almost 50/50 for Duquesne/Pitt alums on hiring committees, you couldn't exactly say you wanted to "transfer up"

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:12 am

The schools could be in the Houston, Texas area (South Texas or Texas Southern to University of Houston). If so, OP missed a major opportunity.

CaneRaider

Postby CaneRaider » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:03 pm

I'd rather not say. Sorry.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I'll guess St. Thomas & Miami are the law schools in question. If so, transfer.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:47 pm

CaneRaider wrote:I'd rather not say. Sorry.

Ask for advice but don't give us some of the most important info?

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Some TTs have far better employment stats than others.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I'll guess St. Thomas & Miami are the law schools in question. If so, transfer.

Clearly not the case because:

CaneRaider wrote:Not really worried about the geographical change so thats a non-factor.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:58 pm

St. Thomas University School of Law
16401 N.W. 37th Avenue
Miami Gardens, Florida 33054

University of Miami School of Law
Coral Gables, Florida 33124

@RodneyBoonfield: You may be confusing Minnesota's University of St. Thomas School of Law in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Tier Three) with Florida's St. Thomas University (Tier Four).

Rodney: Didn't you transfer from a TTTT in Florida to Wash & Lee ?

Also OP noted in his third post in this thread that the Tier Four & Tier Two are "just down the road from each other".

CaneRaider

Postby CaneRaider » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:41 pm

I'm obviously not very good at this anonymity thing. I can probably post more specifics tomorrow I just dont want to ruin anything for myself.

LawStudent4567

Postby LawStudent4567 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:39 am

What exactely is the importance of remaining anonymous on here as far as you school is concerned again?

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 am

CanadianWolf wrote:@RodneyBoonfield: You may be confusing Minnesota's University of St. Thomas School of Law in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Tier Three) with Florida's St. Thomas University (Tier Four).

CanadianWolf wrote:Also OP noted in his third post in this thread that the Tier Four & Tier Two are "just down the road from each other".

My bad. Didn't read the third OP post.

I was implying that, based on OPs first post, there probably would be a geo change. He said he was "not worried about the geo change" not "there will be no geo change". Obviously the third post means I'm wrong.

Also, yes, I did transfer from a FL TTTT to w&l.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 am

Its really hard to say without knowing the schools. If the schools are Pace and St John's its sort of a wash. If the schools are St Johns and Touro, I'd tell you to transfer right now without thinking about it (even with an a grant offered by Touro). Its really hard to tell. I'm a practicing attorney in NYC. If the schools you are choosing between are in the Northeast, feel free to PM me and ask (I won't disclose to anyone which schools you are choosing between). Outside of the Mid-Altantic/Northeast, my opinion is sorta worthless (as it would be based on nothing more than US News).

Return to “Transfers”