CLS or NYU Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
trbrny

Bronze

CLS or NYU

Post by trbrny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 am

I've just been accepted as a transfer to CLS, however I'm still u/r at NYU. Just wondering what people think about which school to choose if I get into both. Career plan is biglaw although not necessarily in NY. Would also like to do a federal clerkship and/or some time in a good federal job.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: CLS or NYU

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:46 am

trbrny wrote:I've just been accepted as a transfer to CLS, however I'm still u/r at NYU. Just wondering what people think about which school to choose if I get into both. Career plan is biglaw although not necessarily in NY. Would also like to do a federal clerkship and/or some time in a good federal job.
CLS. They have more cache outside the city than we do

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:47 am

I am almost the same, but in at NYU and waiting on CLS. I did the CLS writing competition and didn't make it. I am interested in academia (likely will pursue PhD or DPhil in another field after law school and/or practicing for a time) and would also like to clerk and generally run things. Is secondary journal at CLS roughly equivalent to flagship at NYU? Is it possible to do secondaries at NYU if flagship doesn't work out?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:48 am

Depends upon whether or not you want a chance to write-on to law review. If you do, then NYU; however, if not, then Columbia has better placement stats & more national prestige.

OP: In your situation, you've been admitted to Columbia & are waiting for a decision from NYU. Seems like it's getting a bit late for housing search.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:50 am

@miles: A secondary journal at Columbia is not the equivalent of the flagship journal at NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:53 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Depends upon whether or not you want a chance to write-on to law review. If you do, then NYU; however, if not, then Columbia has better placement stats & more national prestige.

OP: In your situation, you've been admitted to Columbia & are waiting for a decision from NYU. Seems like it's getting a bit late for housing search.
Not worried about housing, been living in NY for a while and planning on commuting to school.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:53 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Depends upon whether or not you want a chance to write-on to law review. If you do, then NYU; however, if not, then Columbia has better placement stats & more national prestige.

no it's not

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:56 am

NYU if you can attempt write on.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Tag for interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:15 pm

FlanSolo wrote:Tag for interest.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 pm

I withdrew from NYU after my CLS acceptance. There's already way too much shit going on in the next few weeks - I don't want to have one more thing to worry about. IMO, CLS has a slightly better national reputation. And they got back to me first.

Now I can focus on OCI.

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:24 pm

shock259 wrote:I withdrew from NYU after my CLS acceptance. There's already way too much shit going on in the next few weeks - I don't want to have one more thing to worry about. IMO, CLS has a slightly better national reputation. And they got back to me first.

Now I can focus on OCI.
Considering doing the same, just so I can start preparing for OCI. But still not sure if I should give NYU another day or two.

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:26 pm

I heard tomorrow is Withdrawal Wednesday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:47 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:NYU if you can attempt write on.
Do you think the chance at NYU Law Review is better than Columbia and a chance at a secondary journal?

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:52 pm

trbrny wrote:
Do you think the chance at NYU Law Review is better than Columbia and a chance at a secondary journal?
I'll admit to being totally biased because I've already decided on NYU even if I get into CLS, but as a transfer, I've been told the two schools will perform about equally (although there's no sense in denying CLS' ivy cachet). Thus, I don't think there's any question that LR at NYU is significantly better than a secondary journal at CLS. It's not like we're talking about the difference between CLS and GULC or Cornell here (in which case, it still may be better to be LR).

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:55 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
trbrny wrote:
I'll admit to being totally biased because I've already decided on NYU even if I get into CLS, but as a transfer, I've been told the two schools will perform about equally (although there's no sense in denying CLS' ivy cachet). Thus, I don't think there's any question that LR at NYU is significantly better than a secondary journal at CLS. It's not like we're talking about the difference between CLS and GULC or Cornell here (in which case, it still may be better to be LR).
True, but LR at NYU is not guaranteed, maybe the Ivy name, and the chance to start preparing for OCI, should lead me to accept the CLS offer now as opposed to waiting on NYU with the hope that I may write in to LR.

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:58 pm

trbrny wrote: True, but LR at NYU is not guaranteed, maybe the Ivy name, and the chance to start preparing for OCI, should lead me to accept the CLS offer now as opposed to waiting on NYU with the hope that I may write in to LR.
Yeah, I think that is much more to the point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:04 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
trbrny wrote: True, but LR at NYU is not guaranteed, maybe the Ivy name, and the chance to start preparing for OCI, should lead me to accept the CLS offer now as opposed to waiting on NYU with the hope that I may write in to LR.
Well no movement on my NYU application today anyways, so I think I'm going to accept Columbia.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:13 pm

If it helps sway your decision one way or another, the application for secondary journals as a transfer is super easy at CLS. It's just a 2 page statement of intent and then the usual supporting docs (a resume, writing sample, transcript, etc). Super easy to apply and there are tons of journals. Seems likely that we can get on one if we want to.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:54 am

FlanSolo wrote:
This was my exact reasoning, plus my visiting experience was great at CLS and terrible at NYU. I sent in my CLS deposit today-- no sense waiting around for NYU when I could be apartment hunting and getting ready for OCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”